Ramos: Let's have two Ballon d'Or awards - one for Messi and Ronaldo and one for everyone else

By Sports Desk December 10, 2019

Sergio Ramos has joked there should be one Ballon d'Or award for Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo - and an alternative trophy for the rest of the world's footballers to fight over.

Real Madrid captain Ramos has a stack of individual accolades alongside the host of trophies he has won in his Santiago Bernabeu career.

But like so many great players of the last 12 years, he has been put in the shade by Messi and Ronaldo when it comes to the biggest awards.

From 2008, when Ronaldo first landed the Ballon d'Or, through to Messi scooping the honour earlier this month, the pair have had a near total duopoly, interrupted only in 2018 by Luka Modric's success.

Ronaldo has taken the prize five times and Messi six, prompting Ramos to jest that the pair should be left alone to slug it out for one trophy, while giving everyone else a chance of taking another.

"They could make a Ballon d'Or only for Cristiano and Messi depending on results...and another for the rest," Ramos told Mexican broadcaster TUDN. "In the end it would be better for football."

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk split Barcelona star Messi and Juventus forward Ronaldo this year, taking second place in the vote conducted by France Football magazine.

But the star goal-getters have been the dominant figures in the world game for over a decade, establishing a rivalry for who will be remembered as the greatest of their generation.

Ramos played alongside Ronaldo for many years at Madrid, before the Portuguese moved to Italy in July 2018.

At the age of 33, and as he approaches 15 years as a Madrid player, the captain of Spain is targeting next year's Olympic Games football tournament and sees himself playing on for several seasons yet.

"I will play until the excitement goes, but my excitement is very great," Ramos said, according to Marca. "I will make the most of everything football has to offer for as long as I feel good. I look after myself well and I hope to continue for many years."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: PSG yet to begin contract talks with Neymar Rumour Has It: PSG yet to begin contract talks with Neymar

    Paris Saint-Germain are reportedly yet to begin talks with Neymar over a new deal.

    The Brazil international was linked with a return to Barcelona before the start of this season, but ended up staying in Paris.

    Yet after claims last month that Neymar wanted a new deal at PSG, it is reported no negotiations have been held just yet.

     

    TOP STORY – PSG YET TO BEGIN CONTRACT TALKS WITH NEYMAR

    PSG and Neymar are yet to meet to discuss a possible extension, according to Le Parisien.

    Neymar, 28, is contracted to PSG until 2022, but there have been no talks over a stay beyond then.

    The forward is expected to return from injury in PSG's Champions League last-16 first leg against Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday.

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona appear to have found their replacement for the injured Ousmane Dembele. Sport reports the LaLiga giants have decided to pay Leganes forward Martin Braithwaite's release clause of €18million. Braithwaite has six goals in 24 LaLiga games this season.

    - Bayern Munich are lining up a replacement for Jerome Boateng. France Football reports RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano, who has a €60m release clause, has become a priority for Bayern.

    - With Champions League football next season slipping away from Roma, the Serie A club may be unable to sign Chris Smalling. Corriere dello Sport reports Tottenham, Everton and Juventus are interested in Smalling, with Manchester United wanting €20m (£16.7m) for the 30-year-old.

    - Two of Arsenal 18-year-olds are apparently attracting interest from Liverpool. Football Insider reports the runaway Premier League leaders are looking at Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka.

    - Roma are considering a move for RB Leipzig right-back Lukas Klostermann, according to CalcioMercato. Klostermann, 23, has been capped eight times by Germany.

  • Frustrated Frank Lampard says Chelsea season 'starts here' after controversial Man Utd defeat Frustrated Frank Lampard says Chelsea season 'starts here' after controversial Man Utd defeat

    Chelsea's season has to "start now" according to Frank Lampard, whose side wasted chances and endured VAR frustration as they lost 2-0 at home to Manchester United.

    The Blues, who face Tottenham next, have now won just one of their past six Premier League matches after Monday's defeat at Stamford Bridge, with their place in the top four under serious threat.

    Manchester City's ban from the Champions League – should it be upheld – will mean fifth place could be enough for a Premier League side to qualify for Europe's top-tier competition for next season.

    However, just seven points separate Chelsea and Arsenal in 10th in what has become a congested race for Europe.

    Lampard felt aggrieved that VAR was not on Chelsea's side against United, with Harry Maguire escaping a possible red card for a clash with Michy Batshuayi and the Blues seeing two goals disallowed in the second half, but he again pointed to his side's profligacy in front of goal as a factor in their defeat.

    "It's tough to take on lots of levels, some footballing, some others," Lampard, who was without leading scorer Tammy Abraham due to injury, told Sky Sports.

    "It's frustrating, but that's life. I'm not upset with the work ethic or input. Their heads are down in there and I have to correct that. It's not a 2-0 game but the reality of football is that it is a 2-0 game because of moments. 

    "We have a feeling of Groundhog Day, whatever you want to call it. There are footballing things, which get clearer every week.

    "There's always work to do every day. At the minute, we're fourth and the season starts here. There are things I can criticise; I'm not soft. If we're not going to have productivity to finish, it's very difficult to win games."

    Anthony Martial gave United a half-time lead but Kurt Zouma thought he had restored parity early in the second half, only for the goal to be ruled out for a foul by Cesar Azpilicueta, who was deemed to have pushed Brandon Williams.

    Olivier Giroud's header was then disallowed for offside after Maguire had made it 2-0 from a Bruno Fernandes corner.

    "Maguire should get a red card and then he scores the second goal, and the game changes off that," Lampard, who also confirmed N'Golo Kante had suffered an adductor injury, said in a news conference.

    "That's a major part of what VAR was for. The referee can't see all the angles and if you're not going to use the monitor, I don't understand it.

    "The Zouma goal should have stood. Azpilicueta gets shoved in the first place. It's certainly not clear and obvious. It's just a wrong decision, isn't it, which is harder to take with the presence of VAR than it would have been before.

    "Love it or hate it, if something happens and they don't make the right decision, it's very confusing to say the least. Everyone I've spoken to has said the same thing."

  • Inter Miami belatedly confirm Rodolfo Pizarro signing Inter Miami belatedly confirm Rodolfo Pizarro signing

    Rodolfo Pizarro has finally been confirmed as Inter Miami's second Designated Player (DP) signing two days after his debut in a pre-season friendly.

    Inter - co-owned by former England captain David Beckham - are preparing for their first season in MLS in 2020.

    The Florida club have reportedly paid Monterrey $12million for Pizarro after lengthy negotiations.

    It was said Monterrey initially wanted $20m for the Mexico midfielder amid a complication with his release clause.

    Pizarro scored in Inter's 2-1 defeat to Philadelphia Union on Saturday before the deal was belatedly finalised on Monday.

    Inter have been linked with a host of big names from European football, including Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez, and still have one remaining DP slot.

    Beckham's team will make their MLS bow against Supporters' Shield holders Los Angeles FC on March 1.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.