EPL

Manchester United's firepower enough for top four - Maguire

By Sports Desk December 09, 2019

Manchester United have the firepower to push for a top-four finish in the Premier League, says Harry Maguire, but the defender stated Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side must not get ahead of themselves.

United claimed their second successive victory as they secured a 2-1 derby victory over Manchester City on Saturday, three days after defeating Tottenham - managed by former boss Jose Mourinho - by the same scoreline.

The wins have taken United up to fifth, five points shy of fourth-place Chelsea, who on Saturday lost 3-1 to managerless Everton - United's next opponents in the league.

With Marcus Rashford having already matched his total tally of league goals from last season and Anthony Martial having netted what proved to be the winner against City, Maguire believes United's frontline has the quality to push them towards Champions League qualification.

However, the England centre-back is adamant United's squad will stay grounded, with the league outside of the top four still heavily congested.

"I think you need to look after your own results, don't look elsewhere, keep winning games," Maguire told Sky Sports. "We've won back-to-back games against Spurs and City. We've got another big game next week now.

"The top four is in sight but we just keep looking after our own results, keep trying to get the three points and keep improving.

"Over the last month or so, I feel like as a defender I look at the forwards and think they're going to score goals.

"At the start of the season, we didn't really score more than one goal in a game but now I think it's a few games on the spin where we're back to scoring goals.

"They're a big threat, they're top players, great talent and I think it's all coming together now."

Before hosting Everton on Sunday, United face AZ in their final Europa League group match, with an EFL Cup quarter-final against Colchester United coming up prior to the festive period.

Related items

  • Man Utd captaincy a 'dream come true' for Maguire as Young bids farewell Man Utd captaincy a 'dream come true' for Maguire as Young bids farewell

    Harry Maguire is honoured to have replaced Ashley Young as Manchester United's captain, with the England defender claiming it is a "dream come true".

    Young ended his eight-and-a-half-year stay at Old Trafford on Friday, with the England international joining former team-mate Romelu Lukaku and United loanee Alexis Sanchez at Inter.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed in his news conference ahead of United's clash with Premier League leaders Liverpool on Sunday that Maguire – signed from Leicester City for a world-record fee for a defender in 2019 – will take the armband, despite having only been at the club since August.

    Maguire has since expressed his excitement at having taken over as club captain, while former United skipper Wayne Rooney also congratulated the 26-year-old.

    "[It's a] dream come true to be named the Man Utd captain," Maguire wrote on his official Twitter account. "Proud moment and a huge honour. Just want to wish Ashley Young all the best at Inter."

    Young, meanwhile, penned a heartfelt goodbye to United's staff, players and supporters.

    "To Man Utd, you gave me the chance to play with legends, to win trophies, to work under the greatest manager [Alex Ferguson] in history and to be your captain. Thank you for letting me be part of your story for eight-and-a-half years," the 34-year-old, who signed for United from Aston Villa in 2011, tweeted.

    "To the United fans, every time I walked on the pitch wearing your shirt I gave you my all. Thank you for your support during the highs and the lows. I leave as one of you, see you again in an away end soon."

  • Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach Derby County 'vigorously contest' EFL charges of spending breach

    Derby County have confirmed they will contest the breach of spending rules they have been charged with by the English Football League (EFL).

    The Championship club are accused of recording excess losses over a three-year period ending June 30, 2018.

    However, Derby insist the charges – which relate to the £80million sale of their stadium Pride Park to the team's owner Mel Morris and the club's amortisation policy on player contracts – are unfounded.

    According to a statement on Derby's official website, the EFL agreed to the sale of Pride Park and have not previously raised an issue over player amortisation.

    "As a matter of law, the EFL is not entitled to bring either of the charges, having previously agreed to all of the arrangements surrounding the stadium sale and never having raised the issue of player amortisation before," the statement read.

    "At all times, the club has acted transparently with the EFL and, in respect of the charges above, had received written approval for all of its submissions in respect of this legislation. No allegation has been raised to the contrary by the EFL. Rather, the EFL now claims that it made a 'mistake'.

    "Had the EFL not given the green light in writing in respect of both charges, the club would have reacted accordingly. The club cannot re-trace the steps of the actions it legitimately took in good faith as a result of EFL approval of both matters.

    "The EFL can choose to correct what they now see as an error in their decisions. However, it cannot punish the club for its own errors. The club shall therefore vigorously contest the charges and the EFL's legal right to bring them."

    An independent disciplinary commission will hear representations from the EFL and Derby.

    Last season, Derby's fellow Championship club Birmingham City were docked nine points following a similar charge from the EFL.

    The Rams – who last year secured the signing of former Manchester United and England captain Wayne Rooney – sit 10 points above the relegation zone.

  • Barcelona giving their all to be successful under Setien – Ter Stegen Barcelona giving their all to be successful under Setien – Ter Stegen

    Quique Setien is already attempting to implement changes at Barcelona and the players are fully behind him, says Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

    Former Real Betis coach Setien took over at LaLiga leaders Barca on Monday after the club parted company with Ernesto Valverde.

    His first match in charge comes on Sunday, with Granada visit Camp Nou.

    Upon his arrival at Barca, Setien thanked Valverde for his work, though also vowed to apply his own attacking, possession-based playing style, which drew plaudits during his time at Las Palmas and Betis.

    Barca goalkeeper Ter Stegen revealed Setien has already put new ideas across to the Blaugrana squad, who the Germany international says will do everything in their power to ensure the 61-year-old is a success.

    "We have a new coach, who is trying to change some things, everyone has their idea of ​​football, we are listening, we try to do what they ask and give everything to make it possible," Ter Stegen told the media after being presented with the Barca Players Association award on Friday.

    "We really want to continue [to be] first in LaLiga and to continue in the Champions League.

    "We have a long way to go and we will give it our all. Let's go for everything."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.