EPL

Rise in incidents of racism concern Kick It Out

By Sports Desk December 08, 2019

Kick It Out chairman Sanjay Bhandari fears the issue of racism "is definitely getting worse" in Britain following an incident at Saturday's Manchester derby, which has led to an arrest.

On Sunday, Greater Manchester Police confirmed a 41-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order and remains in custody over an incident at the Etihad Stadium.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer claimed two of his Manchester United players were targeted in their 2-1 win over City, when television footage appeared to show a supporter making a racist gesture in the direction of Brazil international Fred and his team-mate Jesse Lingard.

The incident came almost a year to the day since City striker Raheem Sterling was subjected to "racially abusive language" by a Chelsea supporter, who was later banned for life.

A League Two game between Forest Green Rovers and Scunthorpe United was also temporarily halted on Saturday following a report of alleged racist abuse, and Bhandari is concerned by the growing number of incidents across the game in Britain.

"I think the problem is definitely getting worse here and it has been over the last three years," he told Sky Sports News.

"We're nowhere near where we were 30, 40 years ago but there's definitely been an upward spike over the last two, three years.

"But by the same token it doesn't help us if we create these false oppositions; we're not [like] Bulgaria."

In October, UEFA ordered Bulgaria to play a competitive home game behind closed doors after their Euro 2020 qualifier against England was halted twice due to racist chanting from the stands.

"We should not be complacent, we should focus on what's happening in our own country," Bhandari added.

"There has definitely been a rise over the last two or three years and we need to get a handle on that and collaborate much more effectively across football to really try and stamp this out."

City promised any individual found guilty of making racial gestures would be banned for life.

The Premier League also issued its own statement on Sunday saying it would support any action taken by their 20 clubs.

"The Premier League and our clubs will not tolerate discrimination in any form," the statement read.

"If people are found to have racially abused Premier League players they deserve to be punished and we will support any action taken by the authorities and the clubs.

"We appreciate the millions of supporters who help create a positive Premier League matchday atmosphere and have made it clear that racist conduct or language is unacceptable."

Related items

  • Ronaldo: Mbappe is the present and the future Ronaldo: Mbappe is the present and the future

    Cristiano Ronaldo hailed Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe as the present and the future of football.

    Mbappe has established himself as one of the best players in the world after bursting onto the scene with Ligue 1 outfit Monaco in 2016-17.

    The coveted 21-year-old has already won a World Cup, three Ligue 1 titles and three other domestic trophies for France, PSG and Monaco.

    Continually linked to LaLiga giants Real Madrid, Juventus superstar and five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo heaped praise on Mbappe.

    "Mbappe is the future and the present," Ronaldo said in a promotional video shared by Marca.

    "He's a fantastic player, very fast, and he will be the future."

    Seen as the heir to Ronaldo and Barcelona's Lionel Messi, Mbappe has flourished for PSG in the French capital.

    After scoring 39 goals across all competitions last season, Mbappe has 24 this term – 15 of those coming in Ligue 1.

    Ronaldo, meanwhile, is in red-hot form for Serie A champions Juventus in 2019-20.

    The 35-year-old forward has scored 20 league goals and 24 in all competitions.

    Ronaldo has netted 12 goals in his past eight matches for Maurizio Sarri's Juve, who are a point clear atop the table.

  • Atalanta no longer a surprise – Ilicic celebrates Champions League rout Atalanta no longer a surprise – Ilicic celebrates Champions League rout

    Josip Ilicic said Atalanta are "no longer a surprise" after putting one foot in the Champions League quarter-finals with a crushing win over Valencia.

    Champions League debutants Atalanta continued their fairytale run by routing Valencia 4-1 in the opening leg of the last-16 tie at San Siro in Milan on Wednesday.

    Atalanta, who lost their opening three group matches this season, put the Spanish visitors to the sword courtesy of Hans Hateboer's brace and goals from Ilicic and Remo Freuler.

    "We prepared this game the same way we always do and had a great first half, allowing them practically nothing. It's a pity we conceded that away goal, but Valencia are a strong team and we forced them to play badly with our football," Ilicic, who scored a stunning goal to make it 2-0 approaching half-time, told Sky Sport Italia.

    "We knew their centre-backs didn't push up much, so that's why the coach chose me with Papu Gomez up front. We were very dangerous, especially in the first half, but we can do better.

    "Atalanta are no longer a surprise, we've proved so many times that we don't give in. We're doing some really important things here."

    Atalanta head coach Gian Piero Gasperini added: "We are on the one hand very satisfied, as we'd have happily accepted a scoreline like that.

    "Yet we end up feeling regret over conceding that away goal, as we really shouldn't have made that mistake when 4-0 up and it wasn't the only situation like that.

    "We need to be more precise when we go to the Mestalla. If we want to get into the Champions League quarter-finals, we have to play like this at the Mestalla too, prove we deserve to be there with a show of strength and win there too.

    "We are a team who create many chances, it could perhaps have had more goals for us and them tonight. We created our goals, they sort of received gifts from us on theirs. We got a bit euphoric and lost sight of our concentration at times.

    "We'll analyse now what we got wrong and learn from these errors, as we want to prove in the second leg that we deserve to be there.

    "We've got to score there too. We will do some defending, but I don't want us to go to Spain and just sit on a three-goal lead, suffering the entire time."

    Denis Cheryshev's 66th-minute consolation gave Valencia some hope ahead of the return leg on home soil and Valencia boss Albert Celades said: "This result doesn't really reflect what we saw on the pitch.

    "I think the difference was that Atalanta scored practically every chance they had, which is not an easy thing to do. We didn't score when we had the opportunities. Of course, we made mistakes. When you play at this level against a side like Atalanta, you cannot allow them all that space. We did create our opportunities, though, and that is important for the second leg.

    "I think we've got a chance of turning it around. The result is pretty clear tonight, but we'll see what happens at the Mestalla. We play well in our own stadium. We concede too many, especially away from home, there's no denying that. It won't be easy to overturn this situation, but we will try."

  • Messi labels Barcelona social media controversy 'strange' Messi labels Barcelona social media controversy 'strange'

    Lionel Messi insisted he was still in love with Barcelona, although the star admitted the recent social media controversy at the club was "strange".

    Messi is enjoying another fine season with the LaLiga giants, who are a point adrift of rivals and leaders Real Madrid.

    Contracted at Camp Nou until next year, Messi said he was happy in Barcelona, where he has spent his entire professional career.

    "I love Barcelona although I miss Rosario very much. This is my house, I was here longer than in Argentina," he told Mundo Deportivo. 

    "I love Barcelona, the place where I live, Castelldefels, and I live a life that I like very much."

    However, it has been a tumultuous period for Barcelona, who sacked Ernesto Valverde in January and have also endured off-field problems.

    Barca earlier this week denied allegations made by Spanish radio network Cadena SER that they hired a company to damage the image of people associated with the club, including Messi, by spreading negative messages on social media platforms.

    Messi said: "I really find it strange that something like this has happened, but they also said that there would be evidence.

    "We will have to wait to see if it is true or not. We cannot say much and we will wait to see what happens with all of this.

    "I really thought it was a strange subject."

    Messi was also involved in a public row with Barcelona sporting director Eric Abidal earlier this month.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.