Simeone dismisses suggestion he has lost Atletico Madrid dressing room

By Sports Desk December 05, 2019

Head coach Diego Simeone has dismissed suggestions he has lost the dressing room at Atletico Madrid.

Atleti are sixth in LaLiga after 14 matches on 25 points - six behind leaders Barcelona, who are ahead of second-placed Real Madrid on goal difference.

But Simeone played down talk he no longer has the confidence of the Atleti players following an underwhelming start to the campaign.

The 49-year-old claims such questions have been a regular feature of his tenure and was bullish at a news conference on Thursday.

"In the eight years that I have been here, it has been said that the group was not with me every year," Simeone said ahead of Friday's clash with Villarreal.

"There is always a moment of speculation. However, we move forward with patience and lots of energy.

"I don't think there has been more criticism than in other seasons.

"The responsibility I have is a lot. I assume it and share it with players, club, people who work in the dressing room.

"We all have responsibility - mine is important, I assume it and I look for solutions so that everything returns to the best situation, which is to win. When you win, everything looks much better."

Simeone acknowledged Atletico are, to some extent, in a season of transition, but it will not affect his daily approach.

He added: "The ones who think that the word 'transition' leads to sunbathing and waiting for the flowers to come out don't know me.

"I always imagine positive things, and within them, there are situations that can be improved.

"Our goal is to compete game after game. We will not change. Reality is what counts, day to day."

Having been dealt a blow by last week's defeat to Barca, Simeone has urged his players to focus on catching Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad and Sevilla - immediately above them in the table - rather than worrying about LaLiga's top two.

"We look at the one closest to us," he said. "We must always look at the one closest to us. It is the best way to approach those who are further away - first, go for those who are closest."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Griezmann set for new contract at Barcelona Rumour Has It: Griezmann set for new contract at Barcelona

    Antoine Griezmann could be set to renew his contract at Barcelona.

    The France international has faced criticism for failing to live up to expectations since joining Barca from Atletico Madrid last year.

    However, Griezmann may join the list of players renewing with the LaLiga giants.

     

    TOP STORY – GRIEZMANN SET FOR BARCELONA RENEWAL

    Griezmann could be among the next group of players to renew at Barcelona, according to EFE.

    It claims Sergio Busquets and Sergi Roberto may also re-sign, amid reports players are reducing their wages at the club.

    It comes after Barcelona announced the re-signings of Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Gerard Pique, Frenkie de Jong and Clement Lenglet on Tuesday.

    Griezmann scored 15 goals in 48 games for Barca last season, while he is yet to net in four appearances in 2020-21.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - A former Barcelona head coach could be set for a new job. Marca reports Palmeiras have made a move for Quique Setien after the departure of Vanderlei Luxemburgo.

    - Despite signing Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias in the close season, Manchester City are reportedly look for another defender. Fabrizio Romano suggested the Premier League giants are monitoring Villarreal centre-back Pau Torres.

    - Christian Eriksen's Inter future remains uncertain. CalcioMercato reports Inter turned down a loan bid from Borussia Dortmund in the close season, but the Serie A club could be open to the midfielder leaving in January.

    - After Virgil van Dijk suffered a serious knee injury, Liverpool are linked with defenders. The Sun says Brighton and Hove Albion would demand at least £50million for Ben White if the Premier League champions make a move for the centre-back in January.

  • Simeone left with 'bad taste' after Bayern thrash Atletico Simeone left with 'bad taste' after Bayern thrash Atletico

    Diego Simeone said Atletico Madrid's 4-0 thrashing to Bayern Munich left a "bad taste" but refused to criticise his players for the manner of the loss.

    Atleti were comprehensively outclassed by the Champions League holders in their Group A opening game in Munich on Wednesday with Bayern winger Kingsley Coman instrumental in the result.

    France international Coman scored two goals – the second a superb individual effort – with Leon Goretzka and Corentin Tolisso also on target for the defending champions.

    The defeat was Atletico's joint-worst in the competition, as they managed just one shot on target, but head coach Simeone felt there were still some positives to take.

    "I am left with the bad taste of defeat," Simeone said in his post-match media conference.

    "But I am left with things that for the future will do us very good. I do not know if we made too many mistakes or if it was the quality of the opponent. 

    "So I am left with the attitude of the team, and until the end we looked for the goal. The forcefulness of the opposition has made an important difference.

    "Bayern are in a great moment, they are a great team. But you have to see the good performance of Hector Herrera, Yannick Carrasco, Marcos Llorente because they will surely add up from now on."

    Mexican midfielder Herrera hailed Bayern as the number one team on the planet, and felt Atleti showed their battling qualities even if their usual defensive solidity was less evident.

    He added: "We played the champions face to face, the best team in the world. With the score against us, we did not stop fighting and looking for the game.

    "We had our opportunities and we did not take advantage of them in key moments. If we had done it would have been another story."

    Bayern coach Hansi Flick felt his side's ability to overcome the physical threat posed by Simeone's side was key in securing the victory.

    Bayern won 51.9 per cent of duels, with defender Lucas Hernandez their most combative player, winning possession eight times in the match.

    "Our efficiency was good and I am very satisfied. It is very important to win that first game," Flick said.

    “We were physically present. That was important, to be there, to win those one-on-one situations. We had a match plan and we applied it, scoring four beautiful goals.

    "We faced a tricky team but we dealt with them fantastically. We were so clinical in front of goal. We can be satisfied with it and that is what matters."

    Coman, who scored Bayern's winning goal in their Champions League final victory over Paris Saint-Germain in August, was thrilled to start their defence of the European Cup in such emphatic fashion.

    "Of course I thought back to the goal in the final. But it's a new Champions League campaign, we want to keep winning," the France winger told Bayern's website.

    "We turned in a very good display, I scored two goals, which makes me very happy."

  • Messi preventing Griezmann from expressing himself at Barca – Wenger Messi preventing Griezmann from expressing himself at Barca – Wenger

    Lionel Messi is preventing Antoine Griezmann from expressing himself at Barcelona as the Frenchman continues to be overshadowed by the superstar captain, according to Arsene Wenger.

    Griezmann arrived from LaLiga rivals Atletico Madrid in a blockbuster €120million transfer last year but he has struggled to establish himself alongside Messi at Camp Nou.

    An unused substitute in Barca's 5-1 Champions League rout of Ferencvaros on Tuesday, Griezmann has failed to score in four LaLiga appearances this season – only managing one shot on target without creating a single chance.

    While Messi has just one league goal, the six-time Ballon d'Or winner has registered seven shots on target and created six chances for his team-mates.

    Former Arsenal manager Wenger believes France international Griezmann is being hindered by Messi's presence in his preferred central attacking position.

    "Not playing at his position is complicated in the long term," Wenger told beIN SPORTS.  

    "At the start, the guy accepts it but, if he does not meet his needs in the long term and he feels that the position does not allow him to express his qualities, he will become discouraged.

    "Today, he is a player who must play in the centre because he has a great work rate, a precision in his passes. 

    "He can be dangerous with the last pass and by scoring goals, but there is congestion because he is in the range of play of Messi."

    In his first season with Barca last time out, Griezmann scored nine goals, supplied four assists and created 33 chances in 35 LaLiga appearances.

    Griezmann finished 2019-20 with 15 goals in all competitions – a tumultuous campaign which saw Barca dethroned by bitter rivals Real Madrid and humiliated 8-2 by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.

    The 29-year-old scored 133 goals in 257 games for Atletico between 2014 and 2019.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.