EPL

Mourinho: I'm invested in Levy's vision for Tottenham

By Sports Desk December 03, 2019

Jose Mourinho says he has every intention of playing an integral role in chairman Daniel Levy's vision for Tottenham.

The Portuguese took over the reins at Spurs on November 20 – just one day after Mauricio Pochettino's dismissal – and has overseen an impressive turnaround in fortunes.

His side have defeated West Ham and Bournemouth in the Premier League and came from two goals down to beat Olympiacos 4-2 in the Champions League.

Few believe Mourinho will stick around in north London for the long haul, but the former Manchester United boss insists he is invested in Levy's plans for the club.

"He [Levy] is the boss, he's the man with the vision," he told reporters. "He's the man that started with that vision more than a decade ago and now I'm part of the process.

"I want to participate in that vision and that ambition. The coach of the first team can have a real influence on that process and that is my job.

"For me, as a coach, I have to participate in many areas where the club can develop.

"Can I help in other areas? Can I have a little input? Can I contribute and be available to people that lead different areas in the club? If I can, good."

Mourinho takes his new side to Old Trafford on Wednesday, marking his first return to United as an opposing manager since he was sacked in December 2018.

He holds no grudges over his dismissal and insists he is a better manager for his two-and-a-half-year spell at the 20-time English champions, with whom he won the EFL Cup and Europa League.

"You win or you learn, you don't lose," he explained. "I feel my time there was good because I managed to win something. I learned and I think I am a better coach now.

"From my experience, the important thing is that after you are sacked, you don't blame anyone. You need to try and understand why, understand what you can do better and try to prepare for the future by analysing what happened in the past. That is what has happened with me."

Related items

  • Nantes reveal kit tribute to Emiliano Sala Nantes reveal kit tribute to Emiliano Sala

    Nantes have revealed a one-off Argentina-inspired kit they will wear in Sunday's Ligue 1 meeting with Bordeaux in memory of former striker Emiliano Sala.

    Sala, along with pilot David Ibbotson, went missing on January 21 last year when their plane crashed over the English Channel a few days after his move to Cardiff City from Nantes had been confirmed.

    The body of Argentina native Sala was later discovered and a report released by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) in August said he had clearly been exposed to the poisonous gas carbon monoxide. Ibbotson has not been found.

    Nantes marked the anniversary of the incident by confirming the creation of a special strip in tribute to their former striker, with the kit set to be worn on Sunday against Bordeaux, Sala's first club in France.

    Combattant et généreux, tu rêvais et méritais le maillot de l'Albiceleste. L’intégralité des bénéfices liés aux ventes de ce maillot sera allouée aux deux clubs formateurs argentins d’Emiliano.

     https://t.co/J9oVerGK5p pic.twitter.com/EMgEhTWTSe

    — FC Nantes (@FCNantes) January 21, 2020

    Profits from the jerseys will be donated to the two Argentinian clubs Sala played for as a child, Nantes said.

    A statement read: "Because he dreamed of wearing the jersey of the Argentina national team, the players of Nantes will give up their traditional yellow and green jersey for a blue and white kit.

    "This jersey, from which the entire sales profits will be allocated to the two Argentinian training clubs of Emiliano, is a way of paying homage to him."

    Nantes also announced several other tributes to Sala will take place on Sunday, including a minute's applause and a "giant tifo".

  • Barcelona seek new striker after Suarez injury, Setien confirms Barcelona seek new striker after Suarez injury, Setien confirms

    Quique Setien has confirmed Barcelona are considering signing another striker to ease the loss of Luis Suarez following the Uruguayan's knee surgery.

    Suarez, 32, was said to have been carrying a knee injury for a while before Barca revealed he was set for surgery on January 11.

    Reports suggested that Barca only expected him to be missing for a few weeks, but a club statement the following day confirmed their worst fears, with Suarez likely to miss most of the season.

    Unsurprisingly Barca have been strongly linked with several strikers since, with Osasuna's Chimy Avila, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Arsenal and RB Leipzig star Timo Werner all mentioned as potential targets.

    And while Setien refused to comment on specific names, he did confirm Barca are contemplating making a move.

    "It is true that we are considering the signing of a number nine. We still have to develop things a little more," the head coach said ahead of the Copa del Rey trip to Ibiza.

    "It's not an issue that worries me too much, I am more concerned about the games. It's an issue that I will have to deal with sports management about and we will see which is the most convenient.

    "It's a matter [talk of specific players] I can't respond to you about, I won't either. I spoke a lot with the sports management about it, but we haven't decided on anything.

    "It's all internal, so its preferable you don't ask me, as I won't say anything more."

    The return of Ousmane Dembele could alleviate some of the burden on the remaining Barca attackers without Suarez, as the Frenchman is back in training after almost two months out with a thigh injury.

    Dembele's Barca career has been somewhat underwhelming so far, though Setien still has high hopes for him.

    "He's undoubtedly going to be very important," Setien said. "He's an extraordinary player who unfortunately hasn't had much consistency.

    "Of course, he'll be very important, we hope he'll help us a lot."

  • Barcelona considering signing substitute for injured Suarez, Setien confirms Barcelona considering signing substitute for injured Suarez, Setien confirms

    Quique Setien has confirmed Barcelona are considering signing another striker to ease the loss of Luis Suarez following the Uruguayan's knee surgery.

    Suarez, 32, was said to have been carrying a knee injury for a while before Barca revealed he was set for surgery on January 11.

    Reports suggested that Barca only expected him to be missing for a few weeks, but a club statement the following day confirmed their worst fears, with Suarez likely to miss most of the season.

    Unsurprisingly Barca have been strongly linked with several strikers since, with Osasuna's Chimy Avila, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Arsenal and RB Leipzig star Timo Werner all mentioned as potential targets.

    And while Setien refused to comment on specific names, he did confirm Barca are contemplating making a move.

    "It is true that we are considering the signing of a number nine. We still have to develop things a little more," the head coach said ahead of the Copa del Rey trip to Ibiza.

    "It's not an issue that worries me too much, I am more concerned about the games. It's an issue that I will have to deal with sports management about and we will see which is the most convenient.

    "It's a matter [talk of specific players] I can't respond to you about, I won't either. I spoke a lot with the sports management about it, but we haven't decided on anything.

    "It's all internal, so its preferable you don't ask me, as I won't say anything more."

    The return of Ousmane Dembele could alleviate some of the burden on the remaining Barca attackers without Suarez, as the Frenchman is back in training after almost two months out with a thigh injury.

    Dembele's Barca career has been somewhat underwhelming so far, though Setien still has high hopes for him.

    "He's undoubtedly going to be very important," Setien said. "He's an extraordinary player who unfortunately hasn't had much consistency.

    "Of course, he'll be very important, we hope he'll help us a lot."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.