Buffon criticism 'bothers' Juventus – Paratici

By Sports Desk December 03, 2019

Criticism of veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon irritates Juventus, the club's sporting director Fabio Paratici has admitted.

Buffon was at fault for the concession of Francesco Caputo's goal in Juve's 2-2 draw with Sassuolo on Sunday.

The 41-year-old, who was making his fifth Serie A start of the season, let a tame shot squirm through his grasp following Matthijs de Ligt's panicked clearance.

Maurizio Sarri later absolved Buffon of blame and Paratici felt the Italy legend was deserving of more respect than he has received in some quarters.

"The criticism of Buffon bothers us a lot," Paratici told Sky Sport Italia.

"I always say that Buffon, [Leonardo] Bonucci, [Andrea] Barzagli and [Giorgio] Chiellini are the heroes we have had over the years. They are great people first and then great players. If they have bad days, which happens very rarely, it is proof they are human.

"Buffon is a great goalkeeper, the greatest in the history of football, and above all a great person."

The glaring mistake left Juve trailing early in the second half and a largely poor team performance did not improve until Paulo Dybala's introduction in the 53rd minute.

The Argentina international has been in excellent form in recent weeks and won the penalty from which Cristiano Ronaldo equalised.

Having seemingly been up for sale in the close season, Dybala is now making a case to be granted an improved deal at the Allianz Stadium.

"He is a great player, our number 10 and not by chance," Paratici said. "We are not talking about a renewal, but we will address the matter in due course."

Paratici confirmed outcast attacker Mario Mandzukic could leave the club in January but offered no insights into the futures of Merih Demiral, Daniele Rugani and Emre Can, who have also been linked with moves elsewhere.

Related items

  • Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Firmino keeps Reds rolling after Mane injury Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Firmino keeps Reds rolling after Mane injury

    Liverpool moved 16 points clear at the top of the Premier League after Roberto Firmino struck a late winner in a 2-1 defeat of Wolves at Molineux.

    The Brazil striker's 10th goal of the season in all competitions six minutes from time was enough to seal a 22nd win from 23 league games this season for Jurgen Klopp's runaway leaders.

    There was something of a setback for the visitors, though, who lost Sadio Mane to injury in the first half.

    Jurgen Klopp's side had gone 725 minutes without conceding a goal in the top flight, stretching back to the 5-2 win over Everton in December, until Raul Jimenez cancelled out Jordan Henderson's opener.

    It looked as though Wolves would be heading for what would have been a deserved point until Firmino fired home from inside the box, as Liverpool stretched their unbeaten league run to 40 matches.

  • Olmo opts for RB Leipzig according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Bjelica Olmo opts for RB Leipzig according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Bjelica

    Dani Olmo is set to join Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig despite reported interest from Barcelona, Milan and Chelsea, Dinamo Zagreb's coach has confirmed.

    Olmo, who impressed for Spain Under-21s at last year's European Championships, has scored eight goals in all competitions this season, including five in the Champions League.

    The playmaker's form had seen him linked with a return to Barca, who he left to join Dinamo in 2014, while Premier League side Chelsea and Serie A club Milan also reportedly hold an interest.

    However, the 21-year-old has opted to make a move to Germany, with Leipzig his destination, according to Zagreb boss Nenad Bjelica, who believes Olmo has made the right decision for his career.

    "He had really good offers, he opted for Leipzig," Bjelica told Croatian media outlet 24sata. "We believe he will show his best as he did here at Dinamo.

    "From the numerous offers he had, he picked Leipzig. In my opinion it is the best club for him to develop.

    "Leipzig is a club at the top of the Bundesliga, they are growing year after year and playing the Champions League."

    Bjelica also revealed Olmo said his farewells to the Dinamo squad on Thursday, prior to flying to Leipzig to complete the formalities of the transfer.

    "We will have to do without him, we wish him the best," he said. "He said goodbye to the boys, he tried to say something more but did not succeed, it was difficult."

    Reports of the fee have varied between €20million and €35m plus add-ons. It is expected Olmo - who earlier in January claimed Barca had made his representatives a formal offer - will undergo a medical on Friday.

  • Sporting sign striker Sporar as Man Utd talks for Fernandes reportedly collapse Sporting sign striker Sporar as Man Utd talks for Fernandes reportedly collapse

    Sporting CP have announced the signing of striker Andraz Sporar, while talks with Manchester United over Bruno Fernandes have reportedly collapsed.

    The Portuguese side were said to be eager to generate significant income this month, but a deal with United over midfielder Fernandes appears to have been stalling for some days.

    According to the latest reports, United co-chairman Joel Glazer has stepped in to make it clear the Red Devils will not match Sporting's asking price of €80m.

    Despite their need for funds, Sporting have still invested in Slovenia striker Sporar, who has signed a five-year contract with the club that contains a €60m release clause.

    Reports in Portugal say the 25-year-old has joined in a €6m deal from Slovan Bratislava, having passed his medical after arriving in Lisbon late on Tuesday.

    Sporar had been linked with Scottish champions Celtic and Turkish giants Besiktas.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.