Messi a fine Ballon d'Or winner, but Ronaldo was robbed last year – Chiellini

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Giorgio Chiellini was happy for Lionel Messi to win this year's Ballon d'Or, but the Juventus defender blasted the "theft" that meant Cristiano Ronaldo missed out in 2018.

Barcelona star Messi claimed the prize for a record sixth time on Monday, beating Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Ronaldo.

It came a year after Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric ended the 10-year dominance of Messi and Ronaldo, but it was that decision that upset Chiellini.

"It's OK the Ballon d'Or for Messi this year," the Juve captain told Sky Sport Italia at the Gran Gala del Calcio awards in Milan on Monday.

"The real theft was last year. Real Madrid decided that Cristiano should not win the Ballon d'Or. It was really strange."

Chiellini added: "Real didn't want him to win because he was no longer one of their players."

Ronaldo joined Juventus from Madrid in July last year, and was on Monday named the Serie A player of the year for 2018-19.

Juve and Ronaldo are yet to get to their best this season, now sitting a point adrift of leaders Inter through 14 Serie A games.

"I said that the real Juve will be seen at least from January. We need time," Chiellini said.

"We started very well with a great month and a half, then we suffered a bit of physiological decline, but the results weren't missed.

"Without the draw against Sassuolo [on Sunday], we would talk about super Juve."

Related items

  • Lampard: Ancelotti capable of coaching anywhere Lampard: Ancelotti capable of coaching anywhere

    Frank Lampard backed Carlo Ancelotti to bounce back at the top level after Napoli sacked the experienced Italian on Tuesday.

    Ancelotti was dismissed three hours after leading the club to a 4-0 victory over Genk, which confirmed their place in the Champions League knockout rounds.

    Poor results in Serie A and rumours of discontent at Stadio San Paolo had placed pressure on the ex-Milan head coach for a number of weeks.

    Links to the vacant posts at Everton and Arsenal have already emerged and Blues boss Lampard, who played under Ancelotti at Stamford Bridge, suggested the 60-year-old would have no trouble finding another high-profile position.

    "I have huge respect for him, I am very sorry for him," Lampard said after Chelsea's win over Lille.

    "I know it was a tough job for him lately. I saw his interview before the game and I thought it was a very typically classy interview in what seemed a very tough time for him. He always handles himself brilliantly.

    "I think he can work anywhere in the world at the top level, of course."

    Ancelotti is a three-time Champions League winner as a coach and boasts league titles in Italy, Germany, France and England, but his most recent jobs have produced mixed results.

    He spent just over 18 months in charge of Napoli and leaves with the club sitting seventh in Serie A.

    Former Partenopei player Jorginho said: "I didn't know about it. I'm really sorry. I never met him but I heard a lot of good things about him from my former team-mates.

    "They told me he is a great man and manager. I'm sorry for everything that is happening in Napoli. It's a difficult moment for them.

    "I hope that they will be back at the top as they were for years until this bad moment. I'm really surprised. I was not expecting Napoli [to have] trouble and I'm sorry, because I'll always love Napoli."

    Napoli are expected to name Gennaro Gattuso as Ancelotti's replacement.

  • Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League

    Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked by Napoli despite steering the Serie A club into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday night.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League BREAKING NEWS: Napoli sack Ancelotti despite progressing in Champions League

    Carlo Ancelotti has been sacked by Napoli despite steering the Serie A club into the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday night.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.