EPL

I am open to all projects - Pochettino ready for swift return to management after Tottenham exit

By Sports Desk December 02, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino has opened the door for a quick return to management following his recent exit from Tottenham, saying he is open to listening to any offers put before him.

The 47-year-old was sacked by the Premier League club on November 19 after a difficult start to the season, with Jose Mourinho brought in as his replacement.

Pochettino returned to his native Argentina to unwind but is ready to step back into work should the right opportunity present itself.

"There are a lot of clubs and attractive projects for me to take on," he told Fox Sports Argentina.

"For the time being, the most important thing is for me to clear my head after five-and-a-half incredible seasons with Tottenham. 

"My aim is to seek the ability to rebuild myself and get my self-motivation back.

"It is my intention to return to manage in Europe. It is hard for me to imagine a project in Argentina. However, for the sake of my family, I would not refuse to work over here.

"But now I need to be calm for a few days and see what happens. I haven't had a lot of time to digest what has happened with me.

"My first decision was to come back to Argentina, return to my home and see family and friends. My best decision was to come to Argentina to switch off for 10 days.

"But I expect to return to Europe to make decisions on my future. At my age I don't need a lot of time to recover. I am open to listen to projects put before me."

Arsenal are on the lookout for a new boss following the dismissal of Unai Emery last week, while German champions Bayern Munich are without a permanent head coach.

Manchester United are also rumoured to be long-term admirers of Pochettino, who guided Tottenham to top-four finishes in four of his five full seasons in charge, as well as their first Champions League final in 2018-19.

Related items

  • Dybala was 'close to leaving' Juventus amid Man Utd, Tottenham links Dybala was 'close to leaving' Juventus amid Man Utd, Tottenham links

    Paulo Dybala admitted he was close to leaving Juventus in the close season and the star attacker said his future was in the Serie A champions' hands.

    Dybala was linked with a move to Manchester United and Tottenham, but ended up staying in Turin.

    The Argentina international has impressed this season, scoring 11 goals in 26 games, but admitted he almost left Juventus.

    "I was close to leaving. That was in the club's thinking, I knew. Until the last minute, we were waiting," Dybala told The Guardian.

    "I have two years left on my contract. That's not a short time but it's not a long one either. We'll see what plans Juventus have, if they think I might leave in the next market or if they want me to stay.

    "That's a decision for the club to make. It's hard to know because things change in a second.

    "But I'm here, at a club that has treated me well. I'm happy, comfortable. [Maurizio] Sarri's arrival has helped. He wanted me to stay, which gave me strength when we didn't know what would happen. I knew he could teach me, help me bring out the best in myself."

    Dybala has been at Juve since 2015, when he arrived after three seasons in Italy with Palermo.

    Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini had labelled Dybala the new Sergio Aguero when the attacker signed, but the 26-year-old said he had no interest in comparisons.

    "If you believe that, it weighs on you, but I always said I didn't want to be the new anything, I want people to say my goals, my moves, are 'like Dybala', not anyone else," Dybala said.

    "[Lionel] Messi, [Omar] Sivori, and Aguero won incredible things. I wanted to win my things, not theirs.

    "There was criticism because it was €8million for a 17-year-old, their highest transfer ever. I left for €40m and when I got here, the first thing they asked was about the fee. You think about the prices paid now."

  • Mourinho unhappy with timing of Premier League break for Spurs Mourinho unhappy with timing of Premier League break for Spurs

    Jose Mourinho is unhappy with the timing of the upcoming break in the Premier League, saying it came "in the wrong moment" for Tottenham.

    Spurs face Southampton in the FA Cup on Saturday before hosting Manchester City on February 2, and they will have two weeks without a game after taking on the champions.

    However, they return to action with a trip to Aston Villa on February 16 and then host RB Leipzig in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie three days later.

    That turnaround has left Spurs head coach Mourinho unhappy about the timing of the break.

    "It is what it is. I'm not happy that the break comes in the wrong moment," he told UK media.

    "The break should be before the Champions League and, in the end, before the Champions League we don't have the break.

    "We have to play Aston Villa on the Sunday, playing [RB Leipzig] two days later. So we don't really care about the break, honestly."

    Tottenham's break could be shortened if a replay is required to settle their FA Cup tie against Southampton.

    However, Mourinho is unfazed, saying: "If we have to play Southampton in a second match it means we are still alive in the competition and it is better than losing.

    "If we can choose a result, the one we are going to try to get is of course to win the match, if we get a draw we are still alive. To play at home in the second match is better than to lose."

  • Van Dijk: Liverpool don't feel unbeatable Van Dijk: Liverpool don't feel unbeatable

    Virgil van Dijk insisted Liverpool did not feel unbeatable despite their incredible run in the Premier League.

    Liverpool secured their 22nd win in 23 league games this season by edging Wolves 2-1 in a tight contest on Thursday.

    But Van Dijk warned his side there was still work to do despite their 16-point advantage atop the table.

    "You never feel unbeatable – it is not a feeling that we have," the star centre-back told UK media.

    "Anything can happen. There were moments against Wolves when things could have been different.

    "They could have scored a second. We always feel we have to keep working hard.

    "We just try to keep improving. Things are going good at the moment and everyone is in a good situation."

    Van Dijk is enjoying another stellar campaign for Liverpool, with his partnership alongside Joe Gomez in the centre of defence a key.

    Gomez was involved in an altercation with England team-mate Raheem Sterling in November and Van Dijk said he spoke to the 22-year-old to offer his support.

    "Of course I talked with Joe and tried to help," Van Dijk said.

    "That incident wasn't his fault. I spoke to him about it at the time and he came through that.

    "I've been so impressed by Joe. We all saw last season, before he got injured, how good he is and how good he can be.

    "He's someone I get on very well with — on and off the pitch. That helps, of course."

    Liverpool visit Shrewsbury Town in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.