Bale starts for Real Madrid with Courtois on the bench against Alaves

By Sports Desk November 30, 2019

Zinedine Zidane named Gareth Bale in Real Madrid's starting XI and left Thibaut Courtois on the bench for Saturday's meeting with Deportivo Alaves.

Madrid had the chance to go top of LaLiga, at least temporarily, with a point and four changes were made to the team that conceded two late goals in a 2-2 Champions League draw against Paris Saint-Germain in midweek.

Eden Hazard's absence as the result of an ankle injury gave Wales international Bale the chance to start at club level for the first time since October 5.

The 30-year-old winger angered Los Blancos supporters last week when he posed in front of a flag that read: "WALES. GOLF. MADRID. IN THAT ORDER".

Eder Militao took the place of Raphael Varane, who reportedly suffered a knock against PSG, while loanee Alphonse Areola got the nod in goal as head coach Zidane shuffled his pack for a third game in seven days.

Luka Modric came into midfield for Fede Valverde, who joined Vinicius Junior on the bench.

Zidane declared the little-used Brazilian attacker would not be sent out on loan in January, but it remained to be seen if he would get an opportunity to impress against the competition's 13th-placed team.

Related items

  • Besiktas coach Yalcin has no interest in Balotelli Besiktas coach Yalcin has no interest in Balotelli

    Mario Balotelli looks to have no hope of a move to Besiktas after club president Ahmet Nur Cebi said the Italian is not wanted by coach Sergen Yalcin.

    The Turkish Super Lig giants were reported to have offered Balotelli a lucrative contract, with the striker likely to be on the move again after a turbulent first season with Brescia.

    Brescia president Massimo Cellino revealed in May he expected Balotelli to leave his hometown club at the end of the season as the 30-year-old "no longer has his head with us".

    Cellino's comments came following reports the former Italy frontman failed to attend training, claims which were denied by Balotellli before Brescia suffered relegation from Serie A.

    Cebi suggested Balotelli's name cropped up when transfer targets were discussed, but Yalcin does not want to take the former Manchester City man to Istanbul.

    Cebi, quoted widely by Turkish media, said: "Sergen Yalcin does not consider Mario Balotelli as one of his options for the striker position. He told me that.

    "Executives usually have initial talks with players and listen to them. This doesn't mean that a move is bound to happen.

    "We will make the signings Sergen Yalcin has asked of us but, I want to put it frankly, we will not compromise our financial situation."

    As well as Cellino's criticism of Balotelli, the Italy international was reported to have clashed with former head coach Fabio Grosso at Brescia's training ground in November.

    He was given permission to leave the club in January, only to stay put before the coronavirus pandemic caused the suspension of the season in March.

  • FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 to ease fixture burden FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 to ease fixture burden

    The Football Association has announced there will be no replays in the FA Cup next season.

    With the coronavirus pandemic having led to an adjusted schedule for 2020-21, the FA has taken the decision to scrap replays in order to ease the pressure on clubs.

    Qualification for England's major cup competition will begin on September 1, with the first round proper taking place in November.

    Premier League clubs will enter as usual in the third round, to be played in early January, with the final scheduled for May 15, 2021.

    The FA also announced that, after record prize funds for the last two seasons, the reward money has gone back to the level it was in 2017-18, due to the financial impact of COVID-19.

  • Newcastle Jets 3-0 Wellington Phoenix: Top-two hopes over for Talay's men Newcastle Jets 3-0 Wellington Phoenix: Top-two hopes over for Talay's men

    Wellington Phoenix's hopes of advancing directly to the A-League semi-finals were dashed by a 3-0 loss to Newcastle Jets on Thursday.

    The Phoenix's failure to win their final game of the regular season means they will go into the elimination finals, with Melbourne City guaranteed to finish second.

    Wellington dominated the first half but were unable to find a way past the Jets' debutant goalkeeper Noah James, and Nick Fitzgerald's deflected shot gave Newcastle the lead against the run of play on the stroke of half-time.

    Stefan Marinovic made a couple of good saves before substitute Bernie Ibini drilled into the bottom-right corner following a swift Jets break in the 76th minute.

    Wellington were unfortunate not to get a penalty when Callan Elliot went down under pressure from Connor O'Toole, and Newcastle had their second goal in three minutes when Jason Hoffman slammed Dimitri Petratos' backheel in off the underside of the bar.

    The Jets consequently finish the season with a five-game unbeaten run, which included victories over each of the top three, while Ufuk Talay's Phoenix head into the Finals winless in four.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.