EPL

Pochettino certain to have success in future, says Trippier

By Sports Desk November 30, 2019

Kieran Trippier expects Mauricio Pochettino to bounce back from his Tottenham sacking and prove a success wherever he goes.

The Premier League side dismissed their long-serving manager this month and immediately replaced him with Jose Mourinho.

Pochettino spent just over five seasons in charge and led the club to a maiden Champions League final in June.

Arsenal and Bayern Munich have since been linked with the Argentinian and former Spurs defender Trippier is certain his old boss will make the most of his next job.

He told The Athletic: "I've got a lot of mates at Tottenham – players and staff. It wasn't nice to see what they went through, not getting the results they wanted. It wasn't nice to see them getting criticised.

"Now a new manager has come in and hopefully they'll get the results they want and push further up the table, where they deserve to be, but everyone knows how good [Pochettino] is as a manager.

"For sure he will be successful wherever he goes in the future.

"Obviously it was the chairman's decision to let the manager go. That's football. It happens. Players go, managers go."

Trippier's endorsement of Pochettino follows an awkward separation between player and manager in July.

The England international left for LaLiga side Atletico Madrid after failing to gain reassurances over his future in north London.

Asked if he had reached out to Pochettino, Trippier replied: "Yes, I sent him a message to tell him how much I appreciate everything he has done for me.

"I couldn't not text him. I'm not that type of person. He gave me the opportunity to play at the highest level.

"I've come on a long journey in my career and he was a big, big part of that, so I thanked him for everything he has done for me."

The right-back added: "He was a big reason why I got called up to the England squad because he was the one who gave me the opportunity to show I could play at the highest level.

"I've got full respect for him and for what he did to help me get to where I am now."

Related items

  • Ozil wants to stay at Arsenal despite exit rumours Ozil wants to stay at Arsenal despite exit rumours

    Mesut Ozil has confirmed he intends to remain at Arsenal until his contract expires next year.

    World Cup winner Ozil was reported to be considering an exit from Emirates Stadium after failing to make an appearance for the Gunners following lockdown.

    Arsenal last week announced plans to make 55 staff redundant because of the coronavirus pandemic and are reported to be keen to get Ozil's salary – claimed to be £350,000 per week – off the wage bill.

    However, the 31-year-old playmaker insists he will remain at the club and give his all during the coming season.

    "My position is clear. I'm here through to the last day of our agreement and I'll give everything I have for this club," Ozil told The Athletic.

    "Situations like these will never break me, they only make me stronger. I showed in the past that I can come back into the team and I will show it again."

    Regarding reports Arsenal were contemplating buying Ozil out of the last year of his contract, he said: "I'll decide when I go, not other people. I didn't sign for two or three years, I signed for four and that should be respected by everyone."

    Ozil's latest deal was a three-and-a-half-year agreement announced in February 2018.

    He said: "Things have obviously been difficult but I love Arsenal, I love to work there, I love the people in the club - the real people, those I've been with for a long time - and I love London, it's my home."

    He claims he could have earned "far more money" as a free agent but had agreed to extend his Arsenal contract because of his commitment to the club, saying that head coach Mikel Arteta "knows my quality".

    "I'm not going into pre-season thinking, 'Final year, I can chill - I know I don't play'," Ozil added. "These are not easy times for Arsenal and I want to help. I still have a lot to offer and I train as hard as I can, whether I'm in the squad or not."

  • Oblak deflects Chelsea talk as Atletico target Leipzig scalp Oblak deflects Chelsea talk as Atletico target Leipzig scalp

    Jan Oblak will only consider his Atletico Madrid future once their Champions League run is over.

    The Slovenian goalkeeper has been touted as a possible target for Chelsea after impressing over six seasons with Atletico.

    Ahead of their clash with RB Leipzig on Thursday, Oblak said all his focus was on that quarter-final as Diego Simeone's side attempt to become champions of Europe for the first time.

    Winning the Europa League two years ago strengthened Atletico's resolve to go on and win the Champions League, the competition in which they were runners-up in 2013-14 and 2015-16.

    "This is not the time for that, now it's Leipzig," he told AS when asked about rumoured Chelsea interest.

    "I reflect on the season when the last game is over and hopefully we have three left. Then there will be time to talk. But first, Leipzig. I really want to get through.

    "All of us who are here [in Lisbon] deserve it, but I hope our moment has come. It's difficult to think beyond this game, you have to beat Leipzig and then look at other things.

    "But I couldn't be happier for me, for the team and for all at Atletico if we win this Champions League."

    Atletico's preparations for the game have been disrupted by the positive COVID-19 tests of two players, forward Angel Correa and defender Sime Vrsaljko.

    Oblak said everyone had been "a bit stressed by the tests", adding it was "a shame" that Correa and Vrsaljko had to stay behind in Madrid.

    "I have not spoken much with them, but I have messaged them and they are fine, they do not have any symptoms or any problems," Oblak said.

    The Atletico keeper may be privately glad that Leipzig will be without Timo Werner, the striker who has moved on to Chelsea.

    But he was not willing to say as much, instead suggesting the Bundesliga outfit can find ways to compensate for the loss of the former attacking spearhead.

    "Leipzig with and without Werner are a slightly different team, but they are neither better nor worse," Oblak said. "They have many options, a lot of quality and this year throughout the season they have shown it in the German league and in the Champions League."

  • Rumour Has It: Man City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago Rumour Has It: Man City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago

    Liverpool look set to have some major competition in their bid to sign Thiago Alcantara.

    Out of contract at Bayern Munich next year, Thiago has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League champions.

    However, two big-spending European giants are reportedly joining the race for the midfielder.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN CITY, PSG EYE LIVERPOOL TARGET THIAGO

    Manchester City and PSG are interested in reported Liverpool target Thiago, according to Le 10 Sport.

    Sport Bild says Liverpool are prepared to pay £27.1million (€30m) for the midfielder, an offer which could be enough for Bayern.

    However, it also reports the champions are worried a club like City may trump their bid.

    ROUND-UP

    - While it looks like Jadon Sancho may remain at Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United are not giving up on the star attacker. The Mirror reports the Premier League club have put other moves on hold as they chase Sancho.

    - Staying at Old Trafford and Paul Pogba's future is yet to be sorted. Sky Sports reports the midfielder, who is contracted until 2021 with the club holding an option to extend it for a further year, is expecting talks over a new deal after United's Europa League campaign ends.

    - After crashing out of the Champions League in the last 16, Real Madrid have been expected to strengthen. However, Marca reports Madrid have told players there will be no new signings.

    - With Ismaila Sarr linked to Liverpool, Watford are seemingly holding firm. The Evening Standard reports Watford are demanding £40m for Sarr, who has also been linked to Wolves and Crystal Palace.

    - Arsenal and Roma could be close to a swap deal. Nicolo Schira reports the clubs are in advanced talks about a deal that would send Lucas Torreira to the Serie A club and Amadou Diawara to Arsenal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.