Favre defends Sancho benching after goalscoring cameo against Barca

By Sports Desk November 27, 2019

Lucien Favre reiterated his demand for renewed focus from Jadon Sancho despite the Borussia Dortmund sensation's goalscoring display off the bench against Barcelona in the Champions League.

Sancho was named among the substitutes before coming off the bench in the second half to reduce the deficit in Dortmund's 3-1 defeat to Barca at Camp Nou on Wednesday.

Favre dropped Sancho – who was also hauled off in the first half of a 4-0 Klassiker rout at the hands of Bayern Munich earlier this month – for the midweek showdown after telling Sky Sports pre-game: "We need players on the pitch who are focused and ready".

The 19-year-old's axing prompted fresh questions over his future amid growing links to Manchester United, Liverpool, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

After goals from Luis Suarez, Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann put the Group F contest beyond reach, Sancho provided a reminder of his immense quality with a fierce 77th-minute strike.

Asked why Sancho was benched post-match, head coach Favre told reports: "I explained it before starting the game.

"I needed very focused players to press and that's why I named that XI."

Dortmund team-mate Mats Hummels was also quizzed on England international Sancho and he said: "I don't want to talk about it. He played really well in the second half, was really involved and scored a great goal."

The result leaves Dortmund third and level on seven points with second-placed Inter heading into the final matchday.

Dortmund face Slavia Prague on December 10, while Inter welcome Group F winners Barca to Milan on the same day.

"The last 20 minutes were really good, we scored and could have scored when it was 2-0," Favre, who is under growing pressure at the club, added. "We then are in a one-on-one situation in defence, and that's tough when you are up against Suarez and Messi.

"It's difficult to play here, they have many players who can make the difference. It's a very tricky phase for us at the moment, but I am convinced we can manage to turn things around."

Related items

  • Solskjaer not fearing for job amid Man Utd struggles Solskjaer not fearing for job amid Man Utd struggles

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted he held no fears over his job at the helm of Manchester United, but accepted results were needed.

    Solskjaer is under increasing pressure at Old Trafford, with United having won just two of their past seven games ahead of visiting Tranmere Rovers in the FA Cup on Sunday.

    But the Norwegian said he was unworried about his position, although he knows United – who are fifth in the Premier League – must improve their form.

    "When we sat down we all agreed, the club and I, that the culture had to change," Solskjaer told UK media.

    "It's not like I've been told without my consent what we're doing, because we agreed to things when we signed contracts and we agreed on a plan. I don't fear for my position in that respect, I just keep on working.

    "Of course you know you need results and show you're doing the right things but I won't spend big money on someone to come in here now if they're not right for the club."

    United have come under fire amid their poor run of form and an inability to thus far strengthen in January, particularly as they reportedly struggle to land Sporting CP star Bruno Fernandes.

    But Solskjaer said signing the right players was the key, suggesting the Premier League giants had failed with their more recent moves in the transfer market.

    "It's a skill to look yourself in mirror sometimes and not just blame others as well. That's what some of us do – blame others," he said.

    "For me, it's about understanding. We have to spend wisely, that's one of the keys. We've spent loads of money in the past five or six seasons, since Sir Alex Ferguson left.

    "I've got to make sure that when we spend the money now it's on the right players and the right types, who will be here in the long run and will add quality now."

  • De Sciglio, Can out of Juventus squad amid PSG, Dortmund links De Sciglio, Can out of Juventus squad amid PSG, Dortmund links

    Mattia De Sciglio, Emre Can and Marko Pjaca have been left out of the Juventus squad to face Napoli amid links to moves away from Turin.

    Full-back De Sciglio is dealing with a fitness issue but is also a reported target for Paris Saint-Germain in a potential swap deal for Layvin Kurzawa, who is also said to be interesting Arsenal.

    Germany international Can is reportedly an option for Borussia Dortmund in his homeland, meanwhile, having joined Juve on a free transfer from Liverpool 18 months ago.

    And Pjaca is absent following talk of an imminent switch to Cagliari.

    The Bianconeri head to Naples four points clear of second-placed Inter in Serie A, while their Sunday opponents - title challengers in previous campaigns - are struggling in the bottom half.

  • LaLiga president condemns 'step back' after Williams makes racism complaint LaLiga president condemns 'step back' after Williams makes racism complaint

    LaLiga president Javier Tebas condemned an awful day for Spanish football after Inaki Williams reported racist abuse while Barcelona and Valencia fans clashed at Mestalla.

    Athletic Bilbao striker Williams said he was racially abused by Espanyol supporters during their top-flight match on Saturday.

    The forward passed on a complaint to Athletic captain Iker Muniain, who in turn spoke with referee Jose Maria Sanchez Martinez, while Williams appeared to clash with fans as he was substituted.

    Elsewhere, supporters of Barca and Valencia were involved in violent confrontations ahead of a match the home side won 2-0, handing Blaugrana head coach Quique Setien his first defeat.

    Tebas vowed LaLiga would investigate both incidents, posting on Twitter: "Today we have taken a step back in the work started years ago.

    "The violent incidents of Barcelona and Valencia, the racist insults to Inaki Williams, they do a lot of damage to all of Spanish football.

    "LaLiga takes responsibility. We will look with the clubs where the error is."

    Williams posted a message on his official Twitter account, writing: "It is very sad that today we continue to see racism in football. We have to end it among EVERYONE. Thanks for your support."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.