EPL

Sheffield United wanted it more than us, says Manchester United boss Solskjaer

By Sports Desk November 24, 2019

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Sheffield United "wanted it more than us" during Sunday's pulsating 3-3 Premier League draw at Bramall Lane.

The Red Devils were largely awful against Chris Wilder's side and found themselves 2-0 down after 52 minutes courtesy of goals from John Fleck and Lys Mousset.

Three goals in seven minutes from Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford looked like securing an undeserved victory for Manchester United, but Oli McBurnie struck in the final minute to ensure a share of the spoils.

"It's not something you can put your finger on here and now, but they looked like they wanted it more than us," Solskjaer told Sky Sports. "They believed in what they did more than us, but sometimes it's little margins here and there.

"We maybe had one shot on target in the first half and that's not acceptable; not good enough.

"It's football. Sometimes it's beyond the tactics; it's beyond the passion and drive. The supporters in the first half and the energy of their team compared to ours was such a big difference. Then we get the goal and our energy comes back and the belief comes back in."

Despite failing to hold onto their lead and claim all three points, Solskjaer believes his side's comeback from two goals down shows they have improved since last season.

"The difference between this team and last year's team is huge," he said. "At 2-0 down, my mind is going back to Everton [they lost 4-0 in April]. Last year we'd have been beaten three, four or five. This is such a big stride forward for them, coming back from 2-0 down to 3-2 up and then of course towards the end, things like that happen.

"It's mixed emotions. You can't be happy because we've not performed for the majority of the game, but then the attitude and the way they turned things around shows what we're capable of."

Related items

  • Zidane confirms Bale ankle scare on Real Madrid return Zidane confirms Bale ankle scare on Real Madrid return

    Gareth Bale will be monitored after suffering a minor ankle twist on his impressive return to Real Madrid's starting side, head coach Zidane Zidane confirmed on Wednesday.

    Bale scored the opener in a 3-1 Copa del Rey win over Unionistas de Salamanca but was unable to continue beyond the 53rd minute midweek.

    Wales star Bale, who has battled injury and illness this season, was making his first appearance since the LaLiga victory against Getafe on January 4.

    "He's twisted his ankle a bit," Zidane said. "I don't think it's much but, as always, we'll see tomorrow. He couldn't go on."

    Bale's forced withdrawal appeared to unsettle Madrid, who conceded a stunning equaliser four minutes later as Alvaro Romero surged forward and fired past goalkeeper Alphonse Areola.

    Juan Gongora's own goal after the hour and a late Brahim Diaz strike saved Zidane's men from an upset and extended their winning streak to five games in all competitions.

    The Los Blancos boss insisted he was satisfied despite flirting with a premature exit against the third-tier minnows.

    "It was a tough night at a tough place to come and play," he said.

    "We struggled with moving the ball and we didn't see much great football, but that was down to the pitch, not more than that.

    "We're pleased because in the end we're going through to the last-16 and that's what we came to achieve."

    Madrid - level on points with leaders and defending champions Barcelona - visit Real Valladolid in LaLiga on Sunday.

  • Barcelona keeper Neto to have test on ankle sprain Barcelona keeper Neto to have test on ankle sprain

    Barcelona goalkeeper Neto could spend time on the sideline after spraining his left ankle in Wednesday's narrow Copa del Rey win over Ibiza.

    Neto suffered the injury when he collided with team-mate Clement Lenglet and an Ibiza player in the 50th minute of the 2-1 victory.

    The 30-year-old Brazilian was able to complete the match but will undergo testing on Thursday to determine the extent of the issue, Barca confirmed in a statement.

    Neto was making his fourth appearance for the club since arriving from LaLiga rivals Valencia in the close season.

    Barca needed two late Antoine Griezmann goals to avoid embarrassment against their third-tier opponents, who took a shock ninth-minute lead through a Josep Caballe deflection.

    First-choice keeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen will almost certainly return in goal for Saturday's LaLiga trip to Valencia, with 20-year-old Inaki Pena in line to serve as deputy.

  • Juventus must be better than last season to retain title – Sarri Juventus must be better than last season to retain title – Sarri

    Maurizio Sarri is delighted with Juventus' form but acknowledges the team must be better than in seasons past if they are to again retain their Serie A title.

    The Bianconeri defeated Roma 3-1 in the Coppa Italia quarter-finals on Wednesday, scoring through Cristiano Ronaldo, Rodrigo Bentancur and Leonardo Bonucci before half-time.

    It was a fifth win in a row in all competitions for Juve, in which time they have built a four-point lead over Inter at the top of the league table.

    Sarri saw evidence of this winning mentality against Roma but acknowledged improvement was required in a three-way title tussle with the Nerazzurri and Lazio.

    "Winning is becoming normal," Sarri explained at a post-match news conference. "I'm happy for the team.

    "But we don't have to look at the numbers because it will be more difficult this year. We will certainly have to do better than previous years if we want to be competitive in the league."

    Ronaldo took his 2020 tally to seven goals in four games, and Sarri lauded his "extraordinary" talisman while again repeating a desire to help the Portuguese secure individual honours.

    "Ronaldo is in extraordinary physical and mental condition," the head coach said. "He is continuing at an impressive pace and has extraordinary skills.

    "He is very well physically. In terms of explosiveness, he is good. He takes great care of the details.

    "Ronaldo is a champion, we want to help him win the sixth Ballon d'Or, it would make us all happy."

    Juve's next league task takes them to Sarri's former club Napoli, who are struggling in the bottom half of the table.

    "It will be a difficult game. We must not look at their position in the table," Sarri added. "They have a strong team. They are going through a difficult time but have good players. 

    "From one point of view, there are three points at stake. From my point of view, from a personal point of view, it will be particularly special because I am very close to Napoli."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.