Guardiola dismissess speculation of Bayern Munich return

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Pep Guardiola has no immediate plans to swap Manchester City for a return to his former club Bayern Munich.

Bayern are on the search for a new coach after sacking Niko Kovac earlier in November.

Hans-Dieter Flick is currently interim coach, while Mauricio Pochettino - who was sacked by Tottenham on Tuesday - has been linked with a switch to the Allianz Arena.

The Bundesliga champions are also rumoured to be interested in moving for City boss Guardiola, who spent three seasons at Bayern between 2013 and 2016 before taking over at City.

However, Guardiola has insisted Bayern are aware he is a person who respects his contracts, adding he wishes to stay at City as long as the club want him to remain. 

"When these things appear, is it the media or the club? We don't know. It could be one guy [starting a rumour] and then people take it," Guardiola told Sky Sports News.

"I like the people from Bayern a lot. I was incredibly happy there, but they know I'm a guy that respects what I sign.

"In football, when you are not getting results you can be sacked but in this case if the club [Manchester City] wants me, I want to stay here.

"It doesn't matter if Bayern want me or not in the future. My love for the city, the club and the people I met there is incredible.

"It is the same in Barcelona because it is my hometown, but the same happened here. I have more things to do."

Guardiola acknowledged he will not remain at City forever, but insists it is the memories created at clubs that form the best legacies.

"That is the real legacy that you like, more than lifting titles," Guardiola said. "You remember the places for the people you live with, not for the museums or cathedrals.

"I will not be here [at Manchester City] forever. It's important when you leave that you can come back and be happy with the people."

Under Guardiola, City have won successive Premier League titles, two EFL Cups and an FA Cup, as well as two Community Shields.

Related items

  • Man Utd trigger two-year extension in Bailly's contract Man Utd trigger two-year extension in Bailly's contract

    Manchester United have triggered an extension clause in Eric Bailly's contract to keep the defender at the club until the end of the 2021-22 season.

    Bailly, who signed for United from Villarreal in 2016 for a reported £30million fee, has made 50 Premier League appearances across three-and-a-half injury-hit campaigns.

    The centre-back is yet to appear at all for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side this season due to a knee injury, though he is nearing a comeback after featuring for United's Under-23s on January 10.

    Omnisport now understands United have taken up the option to extend the 25-year-old's deal, which had been set to expire at the end of the campaign.

    While Bailly will be staying put, United have allowed Ashley Young – who has been replaced by Harry Maguire as the Red Devils' captain – to leave the club for Serie A title-challengers Inter.

    Sporting CP playmaker and Portugal international Bruno Fernandes, meanwhile, continues to be linked with a big-money switch to Old Trafford.

  • Klopp: I feel for injured Kane - now let's think about demands on players Klopp: I feel for injured Kane - now let's think about demands on players

    Jurgen Klopp believes Harry Kane's injury could alert England's authorities to the dangers of too much football if the striker is ruled out of Gareth Southgate's Euro 2020 plans.

    The Tottenham striker and England captain suffered a hamstring injury in his club's New Year's Day defeat at Southampton and has undergone surgery.

    Tottenham have indicated Kane should be able to resume training in April, but it could be a slow road back to full match fitness.

    Liverpool manager Klopp made mention of Kane in a lengthy explanation about his concerns that too many demands are placed on players in the modern game.

    Klopp is known to often point to the heavy burden on players, caused by domestic league and cup games, European matches and international commitments.

    Given his important role with club and country, Kane is sure to be missed by both, and Klopp suggested the Spurs star's problem may have been caused by his own busy schedule.

    "I feel massively for Harry Kane," Klopp said. "Now I've heard maybe he's not in the Euros, for the first time some English people in the FA will start thinking, 'Too many games maybe'.

    "Always something has to happen so that we start really thinking about it."

  • Klopp seething as Africa Cup of Nations rescheduling looks set to hurt Liverpool Klopp seething as Africa Cup of Nations rescheduling looks set to hurt Liverpool

    Jurgen Klopp said it was "a catastrophe" for Liverpool to learn next year's Africa Cup of Nations has been moved to start in January.

    The tournament in Cameroon had been due to be played in June and July, during the off-season for many European leagues, and Liverpool had been planning accordingly.

    However, concerns over weather conditions at that time of year meant it was decided to move it on the calendar, which also means there will be no clash with an expanded Club World Cup in China.

    While the Africa Cup of Nations will go ahead in cooler temperatures, there was no disguising Klopp's heated response to the decision.

    "[It's] for us a catastrophe in that moment losing three players," Klopp said.

    "We have absolutely no power. If we say we don't let him go, the player is suspended. How is that possible that the company who pays the player cannot decide if the player has to stay or not?"

    He could lose the likes of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Naby Keita for weeks on end, putting a major dent in plans for what could be a season where Liverpool, this term's runaway leaders, are defending the Premier League title.

    Klopp admitted his transfer plans could also be affected by the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) decision, saying it was a move that did African players no favours.

    The tournament will run from January 9 to February 6, CAF said.

    "Do we really want to open this book now?" Klopp asked, when the subject was raised in a news conference on Friday.

    "I couldn't respect the African Cup of Nations more than I do. I like the competition and I've watched it a lot in the past. It's an obvious problem that you play a tournament in the middle of the season.

    "I get it that it makes more sense for Africa to play it maybe in our winter, their winter as well, so when the weather is better for them.

    "A couple of things which are not OK – one thing is, FIFA plans a tournament [the Club World Cup] in the summer of 2021, a week later or so than the actual Africa Cup of Nations will have started [under the previous plans], I think, or maybe two weeks later, another tournament for a lot of world-class players.

    "I mentioned that in the past. I'm not sure if that was part of the decision, when they thought it makes no sense to play it after that tournament so let's play it again in the winter, I don't know.

    "Or was the weather the real [reason]? It means another tournament. It's too many tournaments, still.

    "The other thing is, it doesn't help African players. We will not sell Sadio, Mo or Naby now because they have a tournament in January or February, but if we have to make a decision about bringing in a player, it's a massive one.

    "These decisions are made without asking players, without asking managers, without asking anybody, it's just a decision. FIFA doesn't look like being involved. They're happy having their 24-team [Club] World Cup, offering a lot of money for all the clubs involved. We forget these tournaments are played by players - they don't have a break."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.