Celtic fined by UEFA over banner and chanting

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Celtic have been fined €15,000 (£12,886) by UEFA for obsence chanting and displaying an "illicit banner" in their Europa League win against Lazio at Celtic Park last month.

Home supporters unveiled several banners ahead of the game, including one depicting former Italian prime minister Benito Mussolini hanging upside down.

Another contained a message in Italian that translated to "f*** off".

UEFA's control, ethics and disciplinary body has also fined Lazio €10,000 (£8,593) for "illicit chanting" during the meeting on October 24, which Celtic won 2-1.

Meanwhile, Club Brugge have been fined €14,000 for breaching safety regulations by blocking the stairways during their home Champions League clash with Paris Saint-Germain a month ago.

Ligue 1 champions PSG have been told to pay €50,000 and threatened with a one-match away ban for supporters if they offend again in the next 12 months after setting off fireworks in the same match.

Related items

  • Kohfeldt hails retiring Claudio Pizarro after Bremen survive Bundesliga play-off Kohfeldt hails retiring Claudio Pizarro after Bremen survive Bundesliga play-off

    Florian Kohfeldt lauded Claudio Pizarro after Werder Bremen narrowly managed to retain their Bundesliga status against Heidenheim as the club great retired from football.

    Pizarro called time on his career following Monday's 2-2 draw at second-tier Heidenheim – four-time German champions Bremen prevailing in the Bundesliga relegation play-off on the away goals rule.

    The 41-year-old Pizarro, who announced his retirement plans in July following 20 seasons in the Bundesliga – was an unused substitute as Bremen survived a dramatic second leg following last week's goalless draw.

    It caps Pizarro's fourth stint with Bremen, having won six league titles across two separate spells at Bayern Munich, while he also spent a season playing for Chelsea in the Premier League.

    Kohfeldt heaped praise on Bremen's all-time leading goalscorer Pizarro, who netted two goals in 2019-20.

    "Awesome," Kohfeldt replied when asked how nice it was for Pizarro to end his career as a first-division player. "I was with him after the game as well and apologised that I couldn't bring him in his last game.

    "Unfortunately the situation was just not there. But he said it didn't matter, the main thing was that we were not relegated.

    "The other day we watched a video on YouTube in the coaching team. And we saw videos from the 90s, the 2000s and 2010s and I said to the assistant coach: "It's always the same face that laughs.

    "That just shows what meaning he has and what joy he has given to the Werder fans. How much importance he has for this club. And it makes me happy for the team.

    "I can't pull my hat any lower and bow any lower before Claudio Pizarro and what he has done for Werder Bremen and the Bundesliga. And I am delighted that we were able to close this chapter in the first division. Many thanks Claudio!"

  • Milan target Szoboszlai 'ideal' for Napoli, says Hungary boss Rossi Milan target Szoboszlai 'ideal' for Napoli, says Hungary boss Rossi

    Hungary head coach Marco Rossi believes Salzburg star Dominik Szoboszlai is the "ideal player" for Serie A side Napoli.

    Szoboszlai is a player in demand and tipped to leave Salzburg following his exploits for the Austrian champions – the Hungary international linked to Napoli, Milan, Inter, Lazio and Premier League outfit Arsenal.

    The 19-year-old midfielder has scored 12 goals across all competitions in 2019-20, supplying 10 league assists for Salzburg in Austria.

    Amid growing speculation, Hungary's Italian boss Rossi feels Szoboszlai would thrive with Gennaro Gattuso's Napoli.

    "He's a 19-year-old who made his debut for the national team at the age of 18. He's a very elegant and talented player, rich in technique," Rossi told CalcioNapoli24.

    "He plays between the lines and is good at assisting in the final third. He has great physicality and is tall but, despite its height, also has an excellent burst of pace.

    "If he decides to accept an offer from Serie A, it would complement his technical expertise with a couple of things where he still needs to improve, for example his defensive game.

    "Tactically speaking, Salzburg have played him high up on the left and he's posted good numbers there, but in possession he often plays between the lines to make room for the full-back.

    "In a 4-3-3, instead, he could be a box-to-box midfielder, capable of supporting the centre-forward.

    "Szoboszlai expresses himself best in a team who play positionally. In Italy, Napoli must play football and not counterattack because they're among the best teams in Italy, [even if] they might suffer in a couple of games every season.

    "Dominik would be the ideal player for [Napoli’s] style of play."

  • Lautaro Martinez 'must find peace of mind' amid Barca links – Inter CEO Marotta Lautaro Martinez 'must find peace of mind' amid Barca links – Inter CEO Marotta

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said Lautaro Martinez "must find peace of mind" amid strong links to LaLiga champions Barcelona.

    Martinez – who moved to Milan from Racing Club in 2018 – has been tipped to swap Serie A side Inter for Barca at the end of the 2019-20 coronavirus-hit season.

    The Argentina forward had scored 16 goals prior to the campaign being halted in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic but he has only netted once in six games since the restart, missing a penalty in Sunday's 2-1 loss to Bologna.

    Inter CEO Marotta – reluctant to part with the 22-year-old – said Martinez needs to regain his focus as his struggles continue.

    "There are two factors to consider, the competitive one and the one relating to the transfer market, which run concurrently," Marotta told Sky Sport Italia.

    "Inter don't want to sell a 23-year-old lad like him, but this is a time when rumours are flying about.

    "We saw Lautaro the great player in the first half of the season, which caught the attention of big clubs.

    "Now, he must find peace of mind to guarantee Inter the performance levels he showed in the first half of the season."

    Marotta also said Inter must be patient with January signing Christian Eriksen, who has struggled for consistency since arriving from Tottenham.

    Eriksen has netted three goals across all competitions and supplied two assists in Serie A, where Inter sit third in the table – four points behind second-placed Lazio and just a point clear of in-form Atalanta with eight matches remaining.

    "Eriksen joined in January, obviously with problems in an area of the pitch that is suffering from some absences," Marotta added. "He's a great player and he can certainly give much more. We have to be patient with him.

    "There are eight games left and 24 points up for grabs. We've suffered 4 defeats, so many for what Inter represent but not that many in context of our project.

    "As for the Europa League, we'll try to win it. We don't know how the other teams in the competition are faring right now, but we must believe. We play to win and this is a big objective for us."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.