EPL

Mourinho keen to 'do a Mauricio' with five-year stay at Tottenham

By Sports Desk November 22, 2019

Jose Mourinho knows Tottenham is probably his last major club job in English football and would love to emulate the length of Mauricio Pochettino's stay in north London.

Spurs sacked Pochettino after five-and-a-half years at the helm on Tuesday, moving swiftly to secure former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United boss Mourinho as his replacement.

The 56-year-old has penned terms until the end of the 2022-23 season and spoke glowingly of the squad, facilities and wider project he has inherited in north London when facing the media for the first time in his new role.

As such, he has designs on staying in charge even longer and matching Pochettino's longevity.

"I would love to stay many years," he said. "When I say many years, I know realistically how football is.

"If I could do a Mauricio, five-and-a-half years, it would be amazing."

A three-time Premier League winner across two spells at Chelsea, Mourinho suggested he has 10 years left in the game when pondering his long-term future.

That means, if all goes to plan at Spurs, this job will conclude his time in a division with which he will be forever associated.

Other potential stops sketched out for his final years could be boyhood club Vitoria Setubal back in Portugal and his national team,

"So, I'm 56, 61 [after five years at Tottenham]," he added.

"Ten more years – Vitoria Setubal, Portugal. It's maybe the last [job in England], yeah."

The immediate item on the agenda for Mourinho is a trip to face old foe Manuel Pellegrini and a West Ham side enduring a similarly underwhelming campaign to Spurs.

Tottenham are winless in the Premier League since the end of September, with a return of three draws from their past five matches.

They lie 14th – two places and a point better off than West Ham, who last won six games ago at home to Mourinho's old employers from Old Trafford.

Related items

  • Chelsea teenager Gilmour preferred to Jorginho for Palace clash Chelsea teenager Gilmour preferred to Jorginho for Palace clash

    Billy Gilmour was preferred to the out-of-favour Jorginho in Chelsea's starting line-up for the Premier League derby at Crystal Palace on Tuesday.

    Jorginho has not featured for the Blues since the season resumed last month and has been linked with a return to Italy.

    Frank Lampard praised the midfielder's professionalism on the eve of the clash at Selhurst Park, where it was thought the former Napoli man could replace the injured N'Golo Kante.

    Yet it is teenager Gilmour who has got the nod to start against the Eagles in the only change following a 3-0 defeat of Watford on Saturday.

    Chelsea can move into third place with a win over their London rivals, although possibly only briefly as Leicester City travel to Arsenal for a later kick-off.

  • Wigan Warriors reveal interest in buying Wigan Athletic Wigan Warriors reveal interest in buying Wigan Athletic

    Wigan Warriors have announced their interest in buying financially troubled football club Wigan Athletic.

    The Championship side went into administration last week and the English Football League confirmed a 12-point deduction would be imposed, though only if they finish outside the bottom three.

    However, an appeal has been launched over the penalty, as confirmed by joint administrator Gerald Krasner on Tuesday. 

    Wigan Athletic sit 16th in the table, six points clear of the relegation zone.

    Led by Warriors chairman Ian Lenagan and chief executive Gary Speakman, as well as former Oxford United owner Darryl Eales, the rugby league club have outlined their plan to purchase the Latics, with the bid backed by the local council.

    "Being born and bred in Wigan, Ian Lenagan and Gary Speakman understand what both clubs mean to the local community," a statement from the Warriors said.

    "We strongly believe that Wigan Athletic is better being locally owned.

    "As sustainability and ownership of the stadium is equally important to both clubs, we are currently working with our long-standing advisers KPMG and talking to external parties.

    "Our intention is to identify other investors quickly and start due diligence on the football club with the intention of making a bid in due course. We have made the administrators aware of our interest and hope to explore this with them further over the days ahead.

    "Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic are both local sporting institutions and it is our belief that this is a unique opportunity here to bring the ownership of these two great clubs together under one roof, each operating independently as before, but under a 'Wigan Sporting Partnership' banner."

    "It is envisaged that each club would retain all its training grounds, management and facilities."

  • Guardiola hopes Messi stays at Barcelona Guardiola hopes Messi stays at Barcelona

    Pep Guardiola has reiterated he wants to see Lionel Messi stay at Barcelona.

    Barca talisman Messi is out of contract in 2021 and there is fresh speculation the six-time Ballon d’Or winner may wish to leave the club, who have not won the Champions League since 2015.

    The forward has often been linked with a move to Manchester City to play under his former Camp Nou coach Guardiola.

    But the City boss was reluctant to discuss transfers ahead of Wednesday's Premier League home match against Newcastle United.

    He also stressed his stance on Messi has not changed, having previously expressed his hope the Argentine remains with Barca when questioned on the topic.

    "I'm not going to speak about transfers until the end of the season," he said. "My wish is that Messi is going to stay in Barcelona."

    Asked if a new centre-back was in his plans, he added: "At the end of the season. We still have incredible targets to fight for."

    Meanwhile, Guardiola insisted he had no influence on where City's Champions League last-16 second leg against Real Madrid will be played, with a decision due this week.

    City lead the tie 2-1 after a win at Santiago Bernabeu before the coronavirus lockdown and reports suggested Guardiola had lobbied UEFA over playing the return leg in Manchester rather than at a neutral venue.

    "I am not strong enough to have this impact," he said.

    "I am not a president. They have protocols. I have never spoken with UEFA. I have said many times that we want to play in Manchester but we are going to accept wherever UEFA decide to play.

    "What I want is to play against Madrid. This is what I want but I didn't make phone calls, I don't have this power."

    The club are also getting closer to finding out the verdict from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) as they appeal against their two-year Champions League ban.

    "On July 10 it is the [Champions League quarter-final] draw and [July] 13 will be the sentence," Guardiola added.

    "After that, I will give my opinion. We wait for the resolution from UEFA. This season is not going to change. It is so beautiful what we have in front of us."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.