EPL

Bielsa backs Pochettino to land top job after 'brilliant' Tottenham work

By Sports Desk November 21, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino will get the chance to take charge of one of the best teams in the world due to his efforts at Tottenham, Marcelo Bielsa says.

Spurs sacked Pochettino this week after just five wins in 17 matches in all competitions this season and replaced him with former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho.

The 47-year-old's departure came less than six months after he led Spurs to their first Champions League final, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.

Bielsa, who coached Pochettino as a young player at Newell's Old Boys and has been credited with influencing his post-playing career, says reaching that final showed just how well the Spurs side had been constructed even in a season in which no players were signed.

Bielsa now expects Pochettino to be given a chance by one of the world's top clubs.

"I'm going to talk, not about the relationship I have with Pochettino, but for what I have observed in English football," the Leeds United boss said on Thursday.

"The work Pochettino has done is brilliant. In the last year, he put Tottenham in a high level in the world. For any coach, it's a very important achievement. For Pochettino, I think it's even more important because the team that played in the Champions League last year was a team he built very carefully.

"The performance of this team was more linked by collective play rather than top players being bought for them. They didn't buy big players to achieve this. This reality makes Pochettino's work even more important.

"People who work professionally like that earn absolutely deserved credit. Maybe he couldn't enjoy this credit at Tottenham. But he will take this credit and big teams in the world will look to capitalise on it.

"For sure, he is a manager who will lead one of the best teams in the world. He made Tottenham one of the most important teams in the world.

"I have a lot of affection and respect for Mauricio. When something that is not good happens to him, I can't ignore it. If we look at the close effect of the situation, we can be sad. I feel sad.

"But in 15 days, he'll be at the top again, because when you see things from a distance, without looking at recent facts, then you can realise what you've really achieved.

"Now, he leaves a team that is attractive to Mourinho – that has a lot of value. The next team who take him will express again the respect Pochettino has created."

Related items

  • Riqui Puig should leave Barcelona on loan – Koeman Riqui Puig should leave Barcelona on loan – Koeman

    Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman has told Riqui Puig he should leave the club on loan.

    Puig, 21, has been linked with a move from Barca, and played no part in Saturday's 1-0 Joan Gamper Trophy win over Elche at Camp Nou.

    Koeman said while Puig was part of his plans, the midfielder should look for short-term opportunities elsewhere.

    "I've told [Riqui Puig] that he has a future here, but it depends on the player," he said, via Marca.

    "I'd recommend that he went out on loan.

    "At 20 years of age, the young players have to play. They can't get stuck for a period of time.

    "We've got three weeks and we've got competition."

    Antoine Griezmann's early goal helped Barca past Elche, as the forward, Ansu Fati, Lionel Messi and Philippe Coutinho all started.

    Coutinho is back from his loan spell at Bayern Munich and Koeman talked up the playmaker.

    "Let's hope we can see a great version of him. For me, he's a great player," he said.

    "He works well physically and with the ball. He's an important player for the team."

    Barcelona will begin their LaLiga season against Villarreal on September 27.

  • 'All love' for Nketiah and Ceballos after winner following Fulham bust-up 'All love' for Nketiah and Ceballos after winner following Fulham bust-up

    Eddie Nketiah said "it's all love" between him and Dani Ceballos after they combined for Arsenal's winner against West Ham a week on from their bust-up at Fulham. 

    The pair were involved in a shoving match ahead of kick-off at Craven Cottage on the opening weekend of the new Premier League season and had to be separated. 

    Ceballos posted a photo of the duo on Instagram after the game and ensured there were "no problems" between him and Nketiah. 

    They proved just that when Ceballos squared for substitute Nketiah to tap in an 85th-minute winner in a 2-1 triumph over the Hammers at Emirates Stadium on Saturday. 

    "It was a bit of a coming together, I was a bit upset with the challenge he put in and obviously the reaction was there," Nketiah said of his altercation with Ceballos to Sky Sports. 

    "We made up quickly and he apologised quickly and got on with it, that's what happens in life. It was nice of him to make the assist for me today, so it's all love now. 

    "I think it was a great pass across, good vision from him, and I just tried to stay onside and make sure I was behind the ball, so it was a pretty easy finish from there. It was a great ball from Dani. 

    "That's all I want to do, just keep trying to help the team and improve as a player. To come on and get the winner is a great feeling. I'm delighted with the three points."

    Nketiah had only been on the pitch for eight minutes after replacing Alexandre Lacazette, who scored the opening goal – his 50th for the Gunners in all competitions. 

    Michail Antonio equalised before half-time and hit the crossbar with a header as West Ham made a strong start to the second half, but Nketiah secured all three points. 

    Mikel Arteta was pleased to see Arsenal grind out the result, a further sign of improvement for the Spaniard.

    "I am really happy with the three points, but we have a lot to analyse because there were a lot of issues we created for ourselves in many moments. We have to improve many things," said Arteta. 

    "Yes [we got away with one], but we created many chances to win the game and we conceded too many chances that were our fault.

    "What I liked was the approach from the boys, they lifted up in the final 25 minutes, and a few months ago we would have drawn or lost that game.

    "In the end you have to find a way because we are going to have games like this through the season."

  • Man Utd need a defender, not Sancho! Neville doubts title chances with Maguire-Lindelof pairing Man Utd need a defender, not Sancho! Neville doubts title chances with Maguire-Lindelof pairing

    Gary Neville has warned Manchester United they need a new centre-back more than they need Jadon Sancho after a horror show in their opening Premier League game.

    The former United captain said the current side stand no chance of winning the Premier League with Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof at the heart of their defence.

    His brutal verdict was delivered as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team were beaten 3-1 by Crystal Palace at Old Trafford on Saturday.

    After finishing third in the Premier League last season following a 14-match unbeaten run in the competition, United began 2020-21 with high hopes of another lofty finish.

    They want to bring Borussia Dortmund's exciting England winger Sancho to the club, but Neville says their priority should lie elsewhere.

    Speaking on Sky Sports, Neville said: "You can talk about Jadon Sancho all you like, but until they get a centre-back in that can run and defend one on one, you're never going to win the league.

    "They're not going to win the league with that centre-back pairing. They have to get a mobile, quick, dominant centre-back in alongside Lindelof or Maguire."

    United were back on domestic duty five weeks after their 2019-20 Europa League trophy hopes were ended by a semi-final defeat to Sevilla.

    Neville said United looked "knackered", "so leggy it's untrue" and "well short of Crystal Palace" in the fitness stakes.

    Lindelof, the Sweden defender who is in his fourth season at United, was picked apart by Neville for his part in allowing Wilfried Zaha to scythe through and score his second goal and Palace's third.

    "He's just not strong enough there, Lindelof," said Neville. "It's a 50-50; he's weak."

    Neville questioned what United's response would be to their slow start, in light of many of their rivals making statement signings.

    "The usual thing for Manchester United, on the back of something like this, is to react - go and sign a player or two to quell the Twitter and social media voice that will absolutely simmer and boil," Neville said.

    "It's been simmering all week I think, particularly with Liverpool doing business today, Chelsea's done it in the last few weeks, [Gareth] Bale's going to Tottenham.

    "Why are Manchester United not signing the players they need to bolster this squad - a talented squad?"

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.