Diego Costa set for up to three months out after neck operation

By Sports Desk November 21, 2019

Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa is set for a spell on the sidelines after undergoing neck surgery.

In a statement issued on their official website, Atleti confirmed Costa had an operation on his herniated cervical disc on Thursday.

The procedure was successful but normally requires a recovery time of two to three months.

Speaking earlier this week, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo insisted there were no plans to sign a January replacement for Costa in the event of surgery.

"No, because we already tried to sign [a striker] at the beginning of the season and you know that you have to sell someone to be able to buy someone," he told AS, citing his club's salary limit.

"So, I don't know. In principle, no. We have a fantastic team and fantastic strikers who score many goals."

Record signing Joao Felix is in line to boost Diego Simeone's attack by returning from a sprained ankle when Atletico visit Granada in LaLiga on Saturday.

Like Costa, the Portugal forward has only two top-flight goals to his name this term. Alvaro Morata leads the way with five for a team that have 15 goals in 13 LaLiga outings so far

Atleti are third in the table, a point behind Barcelona and Real Madrid having played a game more.

Related items

  • Lautaro Martinez 'must find peace of mind' amid Barca links – Inter CEO Marotta Lautaro Martinez 'must find peace of mind' amid Barca links – Inter CEO Marotta

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said Lautaro Martinez "must find peace of mind" amid strong links to LaLiga champions Barcelona.

    Martinez – who moved to Milan from Racing Club in 2018 – has been tipped to swap Serie A side Inter for Barca at the end of the 2019-20 coronavirus-hit season.

    The Argentina forward had scored 16 goals prior to the campaign being halted in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic but he has only netted once in six games since the restart, missing a penalty in Sunday's 2-1 loss to Bologna.

    Inter CEO Marotta – reluctant to part with the 22-year-old – said Martinez needs to regain his focus as his struggles continue.

    "There are two factors to consider, the competitive one and the one relating to the transfer market, which run concurrently," Marotta told Sky Sport Italia.

    "Inter don't want to sell a 23-year-old lad like him, but this is a time when rumours are flying about.

    "We saw Lautaro the great player in the first half of the season, which caught the attention of big clubs.

    "Now, he must find peace of mind to guarantee Inter the performance levels he showed in the first half of the season."

    Marotta also said Inter must be patient with January signing Christian Eriksen, who has struggled for consistency since arriving from Tottenham.

    Eriksen has netted three goals across all competitions and supplied two assists in Serie A, where Inter sit third in the table – four points behind second-placed Lazio and just a point clear of in-form Atalanta with eight matches remaining.

    "Eriksen joined in January, obviously with problems in an area of the pitch that is suffering from some absences," Marotta added. "He's a great player and he can certainly give much more. We have to be patient with him.

    "There are eight games left and 24 points up for grabs. We've suffered 4 defeats, so many for what Inter represent but not that many in context of our project.

    "As for the Europa League, we'll try to win it. We don't know how the other teams in the competition are faring right now, but we must believe. We play to win and this is a big objective for us."

  • Barcelona did not conduct smear campaign, investigation finds Barcelona did not conduct smear campaign, investigation finds

    An audit into Barcelona's relationship with I3 Ventures has determined the club did not conduct a smear campaign against third parties.

    Barca's agreement with PR company I3 ventures came under scrutiny in February following claims the firm was hired to clean up club president Josep Maria Bartomeu's image on social media and disparage current and former players critical of his regime.

    Both Barca and I3 Ventures denied the allegations and a report following an audit conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) found that the club did not conduct "any defamatory campaigns" against any individual.

    Summarising the report's findings on their official website, Barca wrote that "the contracting of various services related to monitoring and analysis of social networks on behalf of FC Barcelona did not include any defamatory campaigns directed at third parties."

    PwC also found no evidence of corrupt financial conduct and determined that the price paid by Barca I3 Ventures' services was "within market range".

    Responding to the report's findings, Barca said: "The Board of Directors instructs the Club's legal services to continue and, if necessary, bring the relevant legal action against those who have made false and unfounded accusations that have gravely damaged the institution's image and those who form part of it.

    "The contents of this report, and its conclusions, will be also be brought forward in those proceedings launched against the Club based on alleged irregular behaviour that this document clarifies and denies."

  • Hamburg appoint Thioune as head coach after Hecking exit Hamburg appoint Thioune as head coach after Hecking exit

    Hamburg have named Daniel Thioune as their new coach.

    Thioune, who became the first German-born black head coach when he took over at Osnabruck in 2017, joins on a contract until 2022.

    His appointment comes after Hamburg parted ways with Dieter Hecking following their failure to secure a return to the Bundesliga.

    A 5-1 home defeat to Sandhausen on the final day of the season denied Hamburg a place in the promotion play-off and condemned them to a third campaign in the 2. Bundesliga.

    Thioune guided Osnabruck to promotion from the 3. Liga in 2018-19 and then a 13th-placed finish in the second tier as they avoided relegation.

    He said: "For me, the task at hand at HSV will be a great challenge, which I would like to tackle head on with diligence, team work and passion.

    "Everyone knows that HSV wants to be back in the Bundesliga. But to talk about that, doesn't bring us closer to that goal.

    "From my first day onwards, I will work hard with my team to develop all of the players and give the team the best chance to play football successfully."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.