EPL

Keown urges Arsenal to consider Pochettino swoop

By Sports Desk November 20, 2019

Arsenal should weigh up an audacious move for former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino, according to ex-Gunners defender Martin Keown.

Spurs acted swiftly to replace Pochettino, sacking their manager after five years at the helm on Tuesday before appointing Jose Mourinho.

While Mourinho's previous spells in charge of Chelsea look likely to make him a divisive figure among the Tottenham faithful during the early stages of his reign, Pochettino opting to switch allegiance in north London would cause a whole other kind of ructions.

Gunners head coach Unai Emery has come under increasing scrutiny amid a mixed start to the season and, although Keown does not want any rash decisions on the former Sevilla and Paris Saint-Germain tactician's future, he feels the Arsenal board should be duly aware of unexpectedly changing circumstances.

"There's no need to panic at Arsenal, we are getting close to panic by the way, because we're not having the best of seasons," he told the Daily Mail.

"But the powers that be at the top of the club should be seriously considering Pochettino. 

"I have a lot of admiration for what he did at Tottenham, the way he nurtured those young players and he didn't spend a great deal of money."

He added: "I would have stayed with Pochettino. I think he deserved that. I think it's a hugely significant sacking. You're going to have managers now looking over their shoulders.

"I know the poor record he has recently, but I still would have given him another chance. I don't like the way Tottenham have done it. 

"There will be a lot of chairmen looking at him now. Manchester United wanted him this time last year. I think Arsenal would have to be interested if they want to take a step forward."

Mourinho cut a contented figure on his first day as Spurs head coach on Wednesday and Keown believes the embattled figure from his final days in charge of Manchester United must be consigned to the past.

"He lost the dressing room and fell out of love with the game of football in his quest to be successful," the former England international said. "He has to jettison that part of himself."

Related items

  • Messi in squad for Argentina's World Cup qualifiers Messi in squad for Argentina's World Cup qualifiers

    Lionel Messi headlines Argentina's preliminary 30-man squad for next month's CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Bolivia.

    World Cup qualifying for the 2022 showpiece in Qatar was due to begin in March, but the coronavirus pandemic forced a delay until October.

    Now, Lionel Scaloni's Argentina – who have not played since November – will kick-off their campaign against Ecuador in Buenos Aires on October 8 before travelling to Bolivia five days later.

    Argentina and Barcelona captain Messi is joined in the preliminary squad by Juventus star Paulo Dybala and Inter forward Lautaro Martinez.

    Uncapped duo Facundo Medina and Nehuen Perez have also been included, while former Arsenal goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez could make his debut after completing a move to Aston Villa.

     

    Argentina squad: Agustin Marchesin (Porto), Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa), Juan Musso (Udinese); Marcos Acuna (Sevilla), Leonardo Balerdi (Marseille), Juan Foyth (Tottenham), Walter Kannemann (Gremio), Facundo Medina (Lens), Nicolas Otamendi (Manchester City), Nehuen Perez (Atletico Madrid), German Pezzella (Fiorentina), Renzo Saravia (Internacional), Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax); Joaquin Correa (Lazio), Rodrigo De Paul (Udinese), Nicolas Dominguez (Stuttgart), Alejandro Gomez (Atalanta), Giovani Lo Celso (Tottenham), Alexis Mac Allister (Brighton and Hove Albion), Lucas Ocampos (Sevilla), Exequiel Palacios (Bayer Leverkusen), Leandro Paredes (Paris Saint-Germain), Guido Rodriguez (Real Betis); Lucas Alario (Bayer Leverkusen), Paulo Dybala (Juventus), Lautaro Martinez (Inter), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Cristian Pavon (LA Galaxy), Giovanni Simeone (Cagliari).

  • Neymar, Silva and Coutinho get Brazil calls as World Cup campaign starts Neymar, Silva and Coutinho get Brazil calls as World Cup campaign starts

    Neymar and Thiago Silva featured in the Brazil squad selected by head coach Tite on Friday for the World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru.

    The five-time World Cup winners had been due to get their campaign underway in March, but the coronavirus pandemic forced a delay until October.

    Tite named a 23-man pool including seven Premier League-based players, with veteran Chelsea recruit Silva among them following his move from Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain.

    PSG superstar Neymar featured among a squad of attacking players including Liverpool's Roberto Firmino, Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus, Everton's Richarlison and Real Madrid's Rodrygo.

    Barcelona winger Philippe Coutinho, whose Camp Nou future is unclear following Ronald Koeman's arrival as Quique Setien's successor, was also called in for the October games.

    Brazil face Bolivia in Sao Paulo on October 9 before travelling to tackle Peru in Lima four days later, as their bid to reach Qatar 2022 begins.

    Palmeiras defender Gabriel Menino and Lyon midfielder Bruno Guimaraes will be involved for the first time in a Brazil squad gathering.

     

    Brazil squad: Alisson (Liverpool), Santos (Athletico-PR), Weverton (Palmeiras); Rodrigo Caio (Flamengo), Danilo (Juventus), Felipe (Atletico Madrid), Renan Lodi (Atletico Madrid), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Gabriel Menino (Palmeiras), Thiago Silva (Chelsea), Alex Telles (Porto); Casemiro (Real Madrid), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona), Fabinho (Liverpool), Bruno Guimaraes (Lyon), Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa), Everton Ribeiro (Flamengo); Everton (Benfica), Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City), Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain), Richarlison (Everton), Rodrygo (Real Madrid).

  • Arteta was worried Aubameyang might leave Arsenal Arteta was worried Aubameyang might leave Arsenal

    Mikel Arteta has revealed he was not always confident Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang would commit his future to the club.

    Aubameyang, who scored in the Gunners' opening Premier League win at Fulham, signed a new three-year deal at Emirates Stadium this week.

    A successful resolution to negotiations had been hinted at since the end of last season, with Arteta positive when discussing a possible renewal, even with Aubameyang's initial contract up at the end of the campaign.

    But the Arsenal manager says such optimism was not always there, having identified that the club's tight finances might prove an issue.

    "At the start, when I joined, I wasn't as positive as I was a few weeks ago," said Arteta, who was appointed in December.

    "Obviously, financially, we were in a position where it was difficult to get what we wanted to get, and I think Auba had his doubts at the time.

    "But things evolved in a natural way and I had a feeling that the club wanted to move forward.

    "I had a feeling that Auba wanted to stay here and we were just trying to put those things together. That can sometimes take some time, but if the outcome is what we both wanted then we're happy.

    "I played my part, which is part of my job, to try to explain to him what we are trying to do and how important he would be while we are building."

    Aubameyang joined Arsenal from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018 and has since scored 55 times in the Premier League, as well as winning the FA Cup last season.

    The 31-year-old was linked with moves to Barcelona and Inter before signing new terms in London.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.