Bayern Munich president targets top head coach amid links to 'great' Guardiola

By Sports Desk November 16, 2019

Bayern Munich's new president has praised Pep Guardiola and vowed the club will target the best possible candidate for the vacant head coach position.

Herbert Hainer formally succeeded Uli Hoeness as president at Friday's AGM, assuming the role amid the search for a full-time replacement for Niko Kovac.

Hansi Flick will continue in a caretaker capacity for at least the rest of 2019 while the Bundesliga champions weigh up their options.

Guardiola - along with Erik ten Hag and Thomas Tuchel - is one of three men being considered, according to Sport Bild, and Hainer has great respect for the Catalan, whose contract with Manchester City runs until 2021.

"The board of directors will try to get the best coach for Bayern Munich," Hainer said, as quoted by Sport1.

"When I say the best, it means, on one hand, a coach who we want to have and, on the other, one who is available.

"Pep Guardiola is a great coach but he has a contract with Manchester City.

"For now I would say, let's wait until the board comes to us. Then we will deal with the options. But in principle, we want to have the best coach at Bayern Munich."

Guardiola spent three seasons in charge of Bayern before leaving for Premier League side City in 2016.

The Bavarians won three Bundesliga titles and lifted the DFB-Pokal twice during his time at the helm.

Related items

  • Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc Sancho staying at Borussia Dortmund – Zorc

    Jadon Sancho is staying at Borussia Dortmund despite reported interest from Manchester United, according to the Bundesliga club's sporting director Michael Zorc.

    England international Sancho – who joined Dortmund from Manchester City in 2017 – has become a star in the Bundesliga.

    Sancho provided 20 assists and scored 20 goals in all competitions for Dortmund in 2019-20, after scoring 13 times and setting up 19 goals in the previous season.

    Premier League giants United are rumoured to have made signing the 20-year-old a top priority but on Monday – reportedly a deadline Dortmund had set for any deal to be struck – Zorc insisted the winger, whose current deal runs until 2022, was staying put.

    "We plan on having Jadon Sancho in our team this season, the decision is final," Zorc told reporters at Dortmund's pre-season training camp.

    "I think that answers all our questions."

    "Last summer we adjusted Jadon's salary to match the development of his performances. So in context, we had already extended his contract until 2023 back then."

  • Brisbane Roar 1-1 Sydney FC: Premiers held as winless run spans to four matches Brisbane Roar 1-1 Sydney FC: Premiers held as winless run spans to four matches

    Luke Ivanovic's first goal of the A-League season was not enough to prevent Sydney FC's winless run stretching to a fourth match, as they were held 1-1 by Brisbane Roar. 

    Sydney have struggled for momentum since being crowned premiers for a record fourth time on July 25 and were behind early on in Monday's clash at McDonald Jones Stadium. 

    Dylan Wenzel-Halls latched on to Jay O'Shea's throughball - possibly intended for Scott McDonald - and coolly lifted over Andrew Redmayne with 11 minutes on the clock. 

    However, three minutes after hitting the post, young winger Ivanovic got off the mark for the season with an impressive curled finish into the top-right corner. 

    The visitors came closest to winning the game in a goalless second half, Jamie Young producing a number of good saves, including a triple stop 17 minutes from the end. 

    Sydney could not find a way through and are now on their longest streak without a win since April 2016, while the Roar are unbeaten in three heading into the Elimination Final.

  • Pioli 'cannot imagine' Milan without Donnarumma as talks with Ibrahimovic continue Pioli 'cannot imagine' Milan without Donnarumma as talks with Ibrahimovic continue

    Stefano Pioli "cannot imagine" Milan without Gianluigi Donnarumma and says the club are convinced veteran striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic should stay for another season.

    Milan director Ricky Massara revealed last week that discussions are ongoing over new deals for both players.

    Donnarumma made his debut as a 16-year-old in 2015-16 and is contracted to the Rossoneri until 2021, while the short-team deal signed by Ibrahimovic in January has expired.

    And head coach Pioli, who signed a two-year extension of his own last month, is eager for both players to pen fresh terms.

    "I cannot imagine a Milan without Donnarumma," he told La Repubblica. "He is 21 years old, he already has experience and has even been captain. 

    "He is already among the top three or four goalkeepers in the world and will become the best."

    Pioli added: "Ibrahimovic makes everything easy. It is wrong to refer to age with him. He is 100 per cent a professional and makes every training session competitive.

    "Paolo [Maldini], [Ivan] Gazidis, Massara and myself are all convinced he should continue with us.

    "From the economic perspective, it is right that I stay out of things, but we are all aware of what he has given us."

    Milan ended the 2019-20 campaign strongly by going 13 games without defeat in all competitions upon their return to action in June.

    Pioli was rewarded with a new deal and insists he paid little notice to speculation that Ralf Rangnick had been lined up to replace him during the close-season.

    "Gazidis and the Elliott fund kept their word," he said. "They told me I would be judged at the end of the season.

    "It didn't make sense to waste energy on things I was unable to control. I've not seen how Rangnick's teams play. I only concentrated on my own work with my players and staff."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.