Moreno thrilled for 'exceptional' Cazorla in Spain's Malta rout

By Sports Desk November 15, 2019

Spain coach Robert Moreno hailed Santi Cazorla as "exceptional" after the experienced midfielder scored his first international goal in four years.

Villarreal playmaker Cazorla has worked his way back into the Spain reckoning following his arduous and well-documented injury woes and was on target in the 7-0 Euro 2020 qualifying thrashing of Malta in Cadiz.

It was an evening in which Spain's old guard proved their worth amid debut goals for Pau Torres and Dani Olmo, with Jesus Navas, Raul Albiol and Sergio Ramos all impressing – a fact not lost on Robert Moreno.

"What Santi's achieving, his form, after what he went through for nearly three years with his terrible injury problems, is exceptional," said the coach.

"Without guys like him and Raul and Sergio it's hard to win tournament semi-finals and finals.

"The contribution of people like Santi, Sergio and Raul – the generation who have already won tournaments – is incalculable. 

"They have such quality and it's hard to win tournaments without their kind of experience. They've accumulated things that they not only contribute in performance but transmit to others."

Cazorla's strike followed Alvaro Morata's opener before the floodgates opened in the second half with Torres and Olmo's efforts sandwiching Pablo Sarabia's strike, before Gerard Moreno and Navas rounded out the win.

Robert Moreno was impressed with the way his side kept the pressure on their vastly outclassed opponents.

"The gap between 'big' international sides and so-called lesser nations is closing – it's very equal now across the board," he added. 

"We worked really hard on opening things up, on finishing, because we knew we wouldn't have it easy. Playing well like this and scoring lots of goals is always very welcome.

"The easiest thing in the world would have been for my players to accept three or four-nil and drop their level. But we hit seven and could easily have scored 10 – that says very good things about their mentality.

"I note that the players are remembering what I told them the last time we were together and the time before that. We are apart for weeks or months but the momentum is growing so that they put into practice what I asked of them previously. That's good.

"We think it's pretty historic that both Pau [Torres] and Dani [Olmo] both came on and scored with their first touch. It's been decades since two subs came on and scored on their debuts."

Related items

  • Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player

    Roma have been punished with a 3-0 defeat for fielding an ineligible player against Hellas Verona in their Serie A opener on Saturday.

    Lega Serie A announced on Tuesday that Roma used a player over the age of 22 who had not been registered on their 25-man list with the league.

    According to widespread reports, the administrative error relates to Amadou Diawara, who turned 23 in July.

    The game at the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi finished goalless but Roma will return to zero points for the season following their sanction.

    Verona head coach Ivan Juric was fined €5,000 for giving his team instructions from the stands while serving a touchline ban.

  • Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus

    Jose Gimenez has tested positive for coronavirus, Atletico Madrid have confirmed.

    The Uruguay defender was the only player from Monday's tests to return a positive result, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

    Gimenez is now isolating at home, with Atletico confirming LaLiga's protocol has been implemented and the players will complete the next training session individually.

    Head coach Diego Simeone also tested positive for the virus earlier this month and underwent a period of isolation, though he did not display any symptoms.

    Atletico are due to start their new season at home to Granada at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday.

    Simeone's men finished third in a disrupted 2019-20 campaign, while they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-finals stage by RB Leipzig.

  • Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives

    Tottenham could be given a bye to the EFL Cup fourth round after opponents Leyton Orient announced a spate of positive coronavirus tests, leading to Tuesday's clash being called off.

    Orient were set to welcome Jose Mourinho's men to Brisbane Road for a third-round tie, but the League Two club confirmed on Monday that "a number of our first-team squad have tested positive for COVID-19".

    The club's stadium and training ground have been closed until further notice, with reports that up 18 players and staff had been infected.

    Confirmation the game would not go ahead on the scheduled date came just two hours before the intended kick-off time of 1800 (local time).

    "Tonight's Carabao Cup match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this evening as scheduled," read an EFL statement.

    "Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders in regards to the implications of the decision not to play tonight's game and a further update will be provided in due course. 

    "Leyton Orient, the EFL and the relevant authorities are conducting a thorough review of the club’s COVID-19 secure procedures with the view to reopening the stadium and training ground as soon as possible."

    It is a bitter blow for Orient, who were set to earn a windfall from the game being televised, with Ross Embleton's men having beaten Forest Green Rovers and Plymouth Argyle to reach round three.

    The news also dims any prospect of a return to Orient for former loanee Harry Kane, the Spurs and England striker who struck a deal to sponsor the club's home shirts this season.

    The fixture would also have been significant for the fact that Justin Edinburgh played for Spurs and was in charge at Orient when he passed away in June last year following a cardiac arrest.

    Spurs are now afford an added rest ahead of Thursday's Europa League qualifying match against Shkendija in Macedonia.

    Sunday's 5-2 win at Southampton came after Gareth Bale's loan signing was confirmed, providing a much-needed boost to a side who started the season with a 1-0 home loss to Everton.

    The EFL Cup is the last piece of silverware Spurs got their hands on, lifting the trophy back in 2007-08, when Jonathan Woodgate was the unlikely match-winner in a 2-1 victory over Chelsea at Wembley.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.