EPL

CAS deems Manchester City's UEFA appeal 'inadmissible'

By Sports Desk November 15, 2019

Manchester City's appeal against UEFA's investigation into alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations has been ruled "inadmissible" by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

The Premier League champions lodged proceedings with CAS in June after UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) referred their case to its adjudicatory chamber.

The CFCB's investigatory chamber opened a probe into City in March following allegations the club broke rules relating to FFP, third-party ownership and youth player recruitment in articles by German publication Der Spiegel, which drew upon documents purportedly obtained by whistleblowers Football Leaks.

When UEFA referred their case in May, City said in a statement: "The accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false and the CFCB IC referral ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City FC." 

In a media release on Thursday, CAS explained City's appeal was not admissible because UEFA has not reached a final decision in the case.

The statement read: "The CAS Panel determined that MCFC’s appeal was inadmissible, considering that 'An appeal against the decision of a federation, association or sports-related body may be filed with CAS… if the Appellant has exhausted the legal remedies available to it prior to the appeal, in accordance with the statutes or regulations of that body.'(Article R47 of the CAS Rules).

"In the present case, the decision rendered by the CFCB IC to refer a case to the CFCB AC is not final and can therefore not be appealed to CAS directly, because the AC is competent to take any of the decisions listed in Article 27 CFCB Procedural Rules, that are described as being final."

City must now await a decision from the adjudicatory chamber, which could in theory extend to a Champions League ban. However, a report by The Athletic on Wednesday claimed UEFA will only issue the club with a fine and not suspend them from taking part in its competitions.

In August, FIFA fined City CHF 370,000 (£314,725) for breaching rules in relation to signing youth players but did not impose a transfer ban.

The Football Association found no evidence to support Der Spiegel's claim City made an illegal payment to the agent of their former winger Jadon Sancho and closed an investigation earlier this month, while the Premier League's own probe into the claims emanating from Football Leaks remains ongoing.

Related items

  • Socceroos great Milligan retires from internationals Socceroos great Milligan retires from internationals

    Socceroos great Mark Milligan has retired from international football after 80 appearances for Australia.

    The versatile 34-year-old announced his decision on Monday, Football Federation Australia (FFA) confirmed in a statement.

    Part of the 2015 Asian Cup-winning squad, Milligan also captained the Socceroos and his 80 caps are the equal eighth most in the nation's history.

    "It has been a privilege to be involved with the Socceroos over the last 14-odd years. To be able to represent my country over that time is above and beyond anything I could have dreamed of," the Southend United man said.

    "It hasn't always been smooth sailing – it was always going to be difficult to try and break into a squad full of Australian superstars. But I was given a chance, and just to be involved with players from Australia's 'golden generation' and learn my trade from them was an absolute gift that I will be forever grateful for.

    "I was lucky to work under some wonderful coaches in my international career. Thank you to Guus Hiddink for first bringing me into the Socceroos' setup, and the late Pim Verbeek for keeping my dream alive. Thank you to Holger Osieck for handing me the captain's armband for the first time.

    "A special thank you to Ange Postecoglou who showed great faith in me and gave me my first start at a World Cup, and a chance to play in the Asian Cup final. Ange taught me so much both in club and international football.

    "Thank you to Bert van Marwijk and Mark van Bommel who put a lot of trust in me over the short time that they were in charge, and thank you to Graham Arnold who had a massive hand in me being called into the national setup way back when and named me captain over the last year. Being able to lead this team as captain over that time has been an absolute honour and something I will treasure forever.

    "I wish the boys the best of luck going forward, knowing with Arnie in charge and a wonderful leadership group in place that the future is bright. There are exciting times ahead and I look forward to supporting the team along with the rest of the country."

    Socceroos head coach Graham Arnold hailed Milligan's contribution in Australia colours.

    "I am so proud of Mark and the career that he has had. Mark's commitment and desire for Australian football is up there with the best and I feel privileged to have been involved with him at the start and end of his international career," he said.

    "Not many players can claim to have represented Australia at four World Cups, three Asian Cups, a Confederations Cup, as well as an Olympic Games. When you add in his tremendous club career, which includes two Hyundai A-League championships, a premiership, and a Joe Marston Medal, it is clear that Mark's contribution to Australian football over a long period has been significant."

  • Chelsea to face 'home truths', says Lampard Chelsea to face 'home truths', says Lampard

    Frank Lampard said there would be "home truths" at Chelsea after two losses in a week.

    Chelsea suffered losses to West Ham (1-0) and Everton (3-1) either side of their victory at home to Aston Villa.

    They remain in the top four in the Premier League, sitting five points clear of Manchester United and Wolves, while Tottenham are a point further adrift.

    But head coach Lampard is eager for Chelsea to learn from their defeats to teams sitting in the bottom half.

    "There are home truths all the time, whatever game you play. The players need to consistently hear that," he told reporters, via Football.London.

    "We have got a good bunch and good group in there. In the Premier League, the competitive nature of it there are going to be times where you have difficult patches or you lose games.

    "It is certainly not the end of the world, but it is important that we take on board the lessons of games like [Everton] and West Ham. We have had a week where we were poor, fantastic and poor again. That lack of consistency is not going to get us where we want to be.

    "They have to get used to it quickly. You can give them a tiny bit of room maybe for the fact of the youth of some of the team, but at the same time they might be young but they are not silly."

    Chelsea host Lille in the Champions League on Tuesday looking to reach the knockout stage.

  • Klopp reveals Keita talks over Liverpool role Klopp reveals Keita talks over Liverpool role

    Jurgen Klopp revealed he had consistently reassured Naby Keita before the midfielder starred when given his chance for Liverpool against Bournemouth.

    Keita scored and provided an assist on his first start of the Premier League season in Saturday's 3-0 win at the Vitality Stadium.

    A £53million signing from RB Leipzig in 2018, Keita has had his difficulties since arriving at Anfield and Klopp said he frequently spoke to the Guinea international regarding his standing at Liverpool.

    "Naby is sitting outside and thinks 'why don't I play?’ I get all that," the Liverpool manager told UK newspapers.

    "So we stayed in contact, we talked and we spoke a lot about it, but in the end of course the player needs to have this evidence that the coach or the manager still believes in you.

    "Naby had injuries and the team was and is in really good shape, so then do you change and, if you want to change, we are not flying – it's not like we won all our games 4-0 or 5-0 – so we [have] had to bring on a player who helps defending set-pieces."

    After Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain opened the scoring at Bournemouth, Keita struck before setting up Mohamed Salah for the Premier League leaders.

    As Liverpool's rotation continued for the encounter, Klopp said his squad understood the situation.

    "It's not difficult for me to leave players out," he said.

    "I didn't speak to Sadio [Mane] about it. I didn't speak to Divock Origi. I didn't speak to Bobby [Firmino] or Mo last week. I didn't speak to Hendo [Jordan Henderson].

    "I didn't ask. I just have to make decisions and then next time everyone knows someone else will play.

    "The boys are a really smart group who look at the schedule. They know how it is."

    Liverpool visit Salzburg on Tuesday needing to avoid defeat to reach the Champions League last 16.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.