Cristiano Ronaldo injury 'not a big issue' – Sarri

By Sports Desk November 10, 2019

Maurizio Sarri said he is "not worried" about the knee problem that contributed to Cristiano Ronaldo's second-half substitution against AC Milan on Sunday.

Ronaldo was taken off with the Serie A result still in the balance for the second game in succession and the Juve superstar appeared frustrated with the decision.

The 34-year-old forward jogged straight down the tunnel and reportedly left the Allianz Stadium before the final whistle in Turin.

His replacement, Paulo Dybala, later produced an excellent goal to secure Juve a 1-0 victory over struggling Milan.

Ronaldo had underperformed in his 55 minutes on the pitch, leading Sarri to explain the nature of his injury issue.

"He was hit in a training session. He suffered a knee bruise. Maybe the right knee, if I remember correctly," the Bianconeri head coach said.

"It's not a big issue, no twist, only a bruise at the collateral ligament. When he steps he can't push as usual, but I am not worried about it."

Sarri's withdrawal of Ronaldo when three points were up for grabs mirrored the move he made in the midweek Champions League win over Lokomotiv Moscow.

The former Real Madrid man's failure to reappear on the bench attracted criticism from ex-Juve coach Fabio Capello.

"The fact that he didn't sit on the bench and said bad words to Sarri is not a pretty picture," Capello told Sky Sport Italia.

"One must be a champion even when he is replaced, not only when things are going well. Right now, Dybala is in great shape.

"The truth is that Ronaldo has not dribbled past an opponent for three years. I remember it when he went past players and left them there. Now it doesn't happen anymore, while Douglas Costa and Dybala do it.

"If I had been in Sarri's place I would have reproached him in the changing room. I would have told him that he must have respect for his team-mates and if I take him off it is because I want to try to win the game."

Dybala's intervention means Juve remain a point ahead of Serie A title rivals Inter going into the international break.

Blaise Matuidi could be forced to pull out of the France squad following further medical assessment on a suspected rib fracture, Sarri confirmed.

Related items

  • Inter rewarded for getting Sanchez back on track - Conte Inter rewarded for getting Sanchez back on track - Conte

    Antonio Conte was delighted to welcome the imminent news of Alexis Sanchez's permanent transfer to Inter after helping the forward recover from "the worst moment of his career". 

    Inter are set to announce the deal for Sanchez from Manchester United on a three-year deal on Thursday, though the move was revealed prior to their Europa League clash with beat Getafe. 

    The Chile international endured a dismal 18-month spell at Old Trafford before leaving United on loan at the start of this season, recovering both form and fitness at San Siro. 

    Nerazzurri CEO Giuseppe Marotta confirmed the situation regarding Sanchez's future in a media interview prior to the Getafe match on Wednesday. 

    And speaking after a 2-0 win that sent Inter through to the last eight, the transfer had raised head coach Conte's spirits. 

    "I think the Sanchez transfer is a very good move by the club," Conte told Sky Italia. "Considering the conditions in which we managed to get Alexis, it was a really good transfer. 

    "The club deserve credit because he came at the worst moment of his career. He arrived after two difficult years when he was really struggling at United and then got injured with us. 

    "We took the time to get him back on track, so it is only right for Inter to enjoy it and reap the rewards of that effort." 

    Sanchez was a second-half substitute against Getafe in what had been set to be the final match of his loan stint. 

    Former United striker Romelu Lukaku opened the scoring before half-time, with Christian Eriksen clinching progress to the quarter-finals with a late second goal.

  • Solskjaer confirms Sanchez exit but stays quiet on Sancho pursuit Solskjaer confirms Sanchez exit but stays quiet on Sancho pursuit

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed Alexis Sanchez will join Inter on a permanent deal but would not be drawn on Manchester United's pursuit of Jadon Sancho. 

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said on Wednesday that he expected to announce the signing of Sanchez, who has been on loan at San Siro this season, on a three-year contract on Thursday. 

    Speaking after United's 2-1 win over LASK in the last-16 second leg of the Europa League, Solskjaer wished Sanchez well in Italy, where he has begun to rediscover his form after a torrid time at Old Trafford. 

    "I can confirm that he's agreed and we've agreed," Solskjaer said. "Alexis enjoyed his time there. 

    "They've liked him, so of course that's a good move for him. Wish him all the best. He's a top player that we want to see play his best football. 

    "For whatever reason, we didn't see the best of Alexis, but he's a top professional and we just wish him all the best." 

    With Sanchez leaving, the number seven shirt will become vacant at United as they attempt to strike a deal to bring in Jadon Sancho from Borussia Dortmund. 

    The England star is said to be keen on a move to the Premier League, but Dortmund have been holding out for a sizeable transfer fee, reportedly at least €110million. 

    United are believed to be unwilling to sanction such spending amid the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and are eager to reduce Dortmund's asking price, while hoping to pay some of the fee in installments or bonuses. 

    Solskjaer insisted there was no update in terms of United's pursuit of transfer targets, though. 

    "We're looking into all transfers differently," he said. "I'm not going to speak about individuals that are not our players, so no news, no updates. 

    "We'll update you if something happens."

  • Milan sign defender Kalulu on five-year deal Milan sign defender Kalulu on five-year deal

    Milan have completed the signing of French defender Pierre Kalulu on a five-year deal. 

    The 20-year-old was a free agent after letting his contract run down at Lyon, where he did not feature for the first team. 

    Kalulu reportedly recently underwent his medical with the Rossoneri, who confirmed the right-back's arrival via a short statement on Wednesday. 

    "AC Milan announces the signing of Pierre Kalulu, on a permanent transfer," it read. 

    "The contract of the French player expires on June 30, 2025." 

    The France Under-20 international featured 16 times for Lyon in the UEFA Youth League over the past two seasons.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.