Wenger 'not in the running' for Bayern Munich job

By Sports Desk November 10, 2019

Arsene Wenger revealed he will not take over as Bayern Munich head coach despite confirming he was approached by the Bundesliga giants.

Bayern sacked Niko Kovac after a 5-1 loss to Eintracht Frankfurt earlier this month and former Arsenal manager Wenger was linked with a move to the Allianz Arena.

However, the 70-year-old – who has been out of management since leaving Arsenal in May last year – ruled himself out of taking over at Bundesliga champions Bayern.

"I'm out of this. First of all, I never was candidate. I have been approached and I'm not in the running for the job," Wenger told beIN SPORTS.

"I'm not a candidate for the job."

Asked if that meant he was done with management, Wenger said: "No, not necessarily."

Hansi Flick has led Bayern to wins over Olympiacos in the Champions League and Borussia Dortmund in the Klassiker as interim coach.

Bayern are third in the Bundesliga, four points behind leaders Borussia Monchengladbach, after their 4-0 rout of rivals Dortmund.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Havertz wants Chelsea move, Griezmann gets Barcelona reassurance Rumour Has It: Havertz wants Chelsea move, Griezmann gets Barcelona reassurance

    Kai Havertz is reportedly ready to leave Bayer Leverkusen – and he knows where he wants to go.

    The Germany international enjoyed another fine campaign with the Bundesliga club, leading to interest from across Europe.

    And, it seems Havertz knows his preferred destination.

     

    TOP STORY – HAVERTZ WANTS CHELSEA MOVE

    Havertz wants a move to Chelsea and his agents have told Bayer Leverkusen he would like to leave if an important bid arrives in the next few weeks, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    The 21-year-old is contracted at Leverkusen until 2022, but has been linked with the likes of Real Madrid.

    Havertz scored 17 goals for Leverkusen in 2019-20, having netted 20 times in the previous season.

    ROUND-UP

    - Amid growing pressure on Antoine Griezmann, Barcelona have reassured the forward he has a future at the LaLiga club, according to ESPN.

    - Real Madrid will listen to offers for forward Luka Jovic, according to Marca. The Serbia international has struggled during his first season at the LaLiga giants, scoring just twice in 25 games. Jovic has been linked to the likes of Milan, Arsenal and Newcastle United.

    - Staying at Real Madrid and Sport reports the LaLiga leaders will target Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe and Rennes midfielder Eduardo Camavinga next year.

    - Paul Pogba may be happy to stay at Manchester United. Fabrizio Romano reports United have opened contract talks with the midfielder's agent Mino Raiola, with Pogba having been linked to Madrid and Juventus.

    - Alexandre Lacazette could be set for an Arsenal exit. CalcioMercato reports Juventus have already started talking to the forward's agents about a possible move.

    - Also in Turin, CalcioMercato says Juventus are considering a move for Atalanta left-back Robin Gosens if Alex Sandro decides to leave.

  • Dortmund eyeing attacking reinforcements if Man Utd target Sancho leaves – Zorc Dortmund eyeing attacking reinforcements if Man Utd target Sancho leaves – Zorc

    Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said the Bundesliga side are targeting attacking players in the case Manchester United target Jadon Sancho leaves.

    Sancho has been heavily tipped to join Premier League giants United, while the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Real Madrid have also emerged as possible destinations.

    Dortmund reportedly want around €120million (£108m) for the England international star, who arrived from Manchester City in 2017.

    Asked about Sancho and a potential departure, Zorc told Kicker: "If Jadon left, we would do something again in the offensive area.

    "There are certainly one or two players we are targeting."

    Sancho scored 17 goals and supplied 16 assists as Dortmund finished second behind Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich this season.

    The 20-year-old attacker scored 20 goals across all competitions in 2019-20.

    Dortmund, meanwhile, are reportedly on the verge of signing Birmingham City sensation Jude Bellingham ahead of United.

    "When you don't have a billionaire or a state backing you up, then you need to be careful how you will invest your money," Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke is quoted as telling Kicker.

    "We don't have an end date for corona, without that we simply have no planning security.

    "Should we sell Sancho, then every player will cost €5-10m more. We have nothing to give away."

  • RB Leipzig sign Henrichs on loan from Monaco RB Leipzig sign Henrichs on loan from Monaco

    Benjamin Henrichs will return to his native Germany after joining RB Leipzig from Ligue 1 outfit Monaco. 

    Leipzig have signed Henrichs on a season-long loan deal with the option to buy the 23-year-old Germany international in 2021. 

    However, Henrichs will not be eligible to represent quarter-finalists Leipzig in the Champions League when the tournament resumes in August. 

    The full-back made 13 Ligue 1 appearances before the French season was cut short in April due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

    "I'm happy to be back in Germany after two interesting years in France. RB Leipzig are one of the most exciting clubs in Germany and even Europe and they have qualified for the Champions League again with a young side," Henrichs said.  

    "The club is very ambitious and they have a clear way of playing football, which impressed me when I was playing for Leverkusen. After the French season was cancelled, I can't wait to get going after such a long break."

    The German left Bayer Leverkusen for Monaco in 2018, penning a five-year contract, after featuring 76 times for his boyhood Bundesliga club.

    Henrichs is Leipzig's second signing for the new season following Hwang Hee-chan's arrival from Austrian champions Salzburg.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.