Atletico Madrid 3-1 Espanyol: Morata, Koke rescue vital victory

By Sports Desk November 10, 2019

Alvaro Morata scored for the sixth match running as Atletico Madrid returned to winning ways, beating Espanyol 3-1 at home to remain within touch with the top two in LaLiga.

Striker Morata, recalled to the Spain squad this week, has discovered his best form but Atleti had been struggling, winless in three in all competitions heading into this match.

Espanyol looked capable of furthering their misery for 45 minutes, too, leading through Sergi Darder's strike, until Morata created the leveller for Angel Correa in first-half stoppage time.

Morata, who had earlier squandered a clear opening, himself struck early in the second period, and Koke added a late third for Diego Simeone's men to move back within a point of leaders Barcelona and second-placed Real Madrid, both of whom won on Saturday.

Morata missed a huge chance to extend his outstanding scoring streak after 16 minutes, running onto Vitolo's measured pass and lifting the ball over Diego Lopez but missing the right-hand post.

Espanyol started to forge their own opportunities at the other end, however, and Darder was clinical, pouncing on a slack exchange between Thomas Partey and Koke to lash high past Jan Oblak.

Yet Morata was influential as Atleti got back on level terms on the stroke of half-time, with the forward reaching the byline and lifting a cross onto Correa's head for a simple finish.

The VAR confirmed Morata was onside in the build-up, much to Espanyol's frustration, as Naldo - earlier substituted injured having been run ragged by Vitolo - was booked on the bench for his protests.

There was a flurry of activity at the start of the second half, with Atleti denied a penalty as David Lopez and Felipe clashed, before Morata made amends for his earlier miss, holding off a recovering defender to beat Diego Lopez with a right-footed effort.

Espanyol still might have recovered a draw, but David Lopez was penalised for a foul on Koke prior to heading beyond Oblak, although the Atleti captain appeared to have tangled with a team-mate as he clutched his face.

Instead, Koke settled matters at the end of a rapid counter-attack, controlling substitute Diego Costa's cutback and sliding low into the net.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Arsenal seek Nuno talks and keep Martinez in mind Rumour Has It: Arsenal seek Nuno talks and keep Martinez in mind

    Arsenal appear to have strengthened their interest in Nuno Espirito Santo.

    Just over two weeks after dismissing Unai Emery, the Gunners are reportedly ready to hold talks with one of the top contenders to take over at Emirates Stadium.

    But the Portuguese is not alone when it comes to candidates with Premier League experience.

     

    TOP STORY – GUNNERS STEP UP NUNO CHASE

    Arsenal will ask Wolves for permission to conduct formal discussions with Nuno next week, according to the Daily Mail.

    The north Londoners are reportedly ready to "set to accelerate their interest" in the 45-year-old former Valencia and Porto head coach.

    Belgium boss Robert Martinez is also said to have been approached, while Mauricio Pochettino, Mikel Arteta and Patrick Vieira continue to be linked.

    Freddie Ljungberg has overseen two draws, a defeat and a solitary victory since taking charge on an interim basis.

    ROUND-UP

    - Like his former employers, ex-Arsenal boss Emery will not be rushed into a decision on his next move. Marca says the Spaniard has turned down the chance to speak to two Chinese clubs and managerless Everton since becoming a free agent on November 29.

    - Premier League champions Manchester City hope to bring wantaway winger Jadon Sancho back to the Etihad Stadium after losing him to Borussia Dortmund in 2017, reports the Daily Mail.

    - On the outer at Chelsea, Olivier Giroud appears to be moving closer to the Stamford Bridge exit door. L'Equipe claims the France striker is close to agreeing personal terms on a January switch to Inter, where he would reunite with Antonio Conte.

    - Serie A side Milan will be offered the chance to sign Luka Jovic on loan from Real Madrid in January, according to Tuttomercatoweb.

    - Barcelona will listen to offers of €10million for teenage defender Jean-Clair Todibo, reports Mundo Deportivo. The Spanish newspaper claims Bayer Leverkusen, Milan, Monaco, Southampton and Watford have submitted bids.

    - Real Betis have sealed a deal to sign former Atletico Madrid winger Yannick Carrasco from Chinese Super League side Dalian Yifang, according to Deportes Cuatro.

  • Charlton Athletic 2-2 Hull City: Dramatic Phillips own goal hands Tigers point Charlton Athletic 2-2 Hull City: Dramatic Phillips own goal hands Tigers point

    Hull City snatched a 2-2 draw at Charlton Athletic on Friday thanks to an own goal from goalkeeper Dillon Phillips in the final seconds of the game.

    Darren Pratley's header had given Lee Bowyer's side a half-time lead before Jarrod Bowen equalised from close range two minutes after the restart.

    Charlton restored their advantage when Naby Sarr tapped in Jonathan Leko's cross, which looked to have been enough to secure all three points.

    However, Phillips parried Keane Lewis-Potter's header onto the right post and the ball bounced in off the keeper's head in the sixth minute of injury time, with what proved to be the final act of the match.

    Hull move above Millwall on goal difference into 13th in the Championship, six points clear of Charlton in 17th.

  • FIFA confirms final four bidders for 2023 Women's World Cup FIFA confirms final four bidders for 2023 Women's World Cup

    Brazil, Colombia and Japan will rival Australia and New Zealand for the right to host the 2023 Women's World Cup.

    A joint bid from Football Federation Australia (FFA) and New Zealand Football (NZF) for the first 32-team edition of the competition was announced in Melbourne earlier on Friday.

    FIFA has now confirmed that the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), Colombian Football Federation (FCF) and Japan Football Association (JFA) all submitted bids prior to the December 13 deadline.

    A proposed joint bid from North and South Korea was not included in the final shortlist, with the Korea Football Association (KFA) having withdrawn their application, citing diplomatic tension between the two countries.

    An assessment of the bids will now follow, which includes inspection visits to each member association, likely in January and February of next year.

    The eligible bids will then be presented to the FIFA Council, which will select the host at a meeting in Addis Ababa in June 2020.

    "France 2019 was certainly a watershed moment for women's football, and now it is FIFA's responsibility to take concrete measures to keep fostering the game's incredible growth," said FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

    "With the FIFA Women's World Cup generating an unprecedented interest across member associations, we are ensuring that the process to select the hosts is seamless, objective, ethical and transparent.

    "By the time the FIFA Council announces the hosts, there should be no doubt whatsoever as to why that choice was made."

    The United States won the 2019 World Cup, beating Netherlands 2-0 in the final in Lyon to defend the trophy they claimed in 2015.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.