EPL

Sissoko baffled by Spurs struggles

By Sports Desk November 09, 2019

Moussa Sissoko is at a loss to explain Tottenham's lacklustre Premier League form after Mauricio Pochettino's men laboured to a 1-1 draw at home to Sheffield United.

Son Heung-min's 58th-minute opener looked to have been swiftly cancelled out after David McGoldrick netted for the Blades but a marginal VAR call went against John Lundstrum earlier in the move.

Spurs could not make the most of that reprieve as George Baldock netted a deserved 78th-minute leveller, extending the north London club's winless run in the Premier League to five matches.

"In the league we are struggling since the beginning of the season. Why? I don't know because we are trying our best but it is not working," France midfielder Sissoko said.

"We see today it was a difficult game against a good team. We were winning 1-0 but didn't keep the score. We have a lot of frustration but need to keep going.

"We have to stick together, like we said every time, and try to work hard."

It will be almost two months since their previous Premier League victory when Tottenham return from an international break Sissoko hopes will serve as an opportunity to reset.

"Every team can have some difficult moments," he added. "We are struggling in the league and that's football.

"We must keep working, give our best every day until everything turns around

"We will fight until the end. We know we can do better

"Now we are going away with the international teams and we have to come back stronger."

Related items

  • Dallas defender Reggie Cannon condemns 'disgusting, disgraceful' response to BLM demonstration Dallas defender Reggie Cannon condemns 'disgusting, disgraceful' response to BLM demonstration

    United States international Reggie Cannon criticised supporters who booed players for kneeling during the national anthem before FC Dallas played Nashville on Wednesday.

    Dallas and Nashville were in MLS action for the first time since March after both teams missed the MLS is Back Tournament due to positive coronavirus tests.

    Some fans were allowed into the midweek regular season game, where teams had planned a demonstration in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

    Kneeling before games was a display brought to the public attention by NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the 2016 season, protesting against police brutality and racial inequality. He has not played in the league since.

    The demonstration has been repeated around the world across various sports since George Floyd died in police custody in Minneapolis in May.

    But jeers were heard among supporters as Dallas, Nashville and the officials took a knee, with a water bottle also appearing to be thrown on the field in response.

    Dallas full-back Cannon said after the 1-0 defeat: "I think it was disgusting. I think it was absolutely disgusting.

    "You've got fans booing you for people taking a stand for what they believe in, and millions of other people support this cause.

    "We discussed with every other team and the league what we were going to do, and we've got fans booing us in our own stadium. How disgraceful is that?

    "For a lack of a better word, it p***** me off."

    Cannon said the players had asked for the anthem not to be played before the match but "they ignored our wishes".

    "We were going to kneel regardless if the anthem was played or not," he explained. "Unfortunately, it was played during the time when we asked for the anthem not to be played."

    Cannon, who is black, revealed he had subsequently received an apology from white team-mate Ryan Hollingshead.

    "The first thing [Hollingshead] said to me after we got up from the knee was, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry for our fans'," he said.

    "We had someone chanting 'USA' when they don't understand what kneeling means. They don't understand why we are kneeling. They can't see the reason.

    "They just think we're the ignorant ones. It's incredibly frustrating."

  • Robben delays first match back for Groningen Robben delays first match back for Groningen

    Arjen Robben will not make his first appearance for Groningen against PEC Zwolle on Friday after he requested not to be considered for selection.

    Former Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Chelsea star Robben came out of retirement and signed a one-year contract with his boyhood club Groningen, who he wanted to help amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    The 36-year-old winger was expected to feature against Zwolle but will not take part after feeling the effects of an intense week of training.

    "I want to get even fitter before I start competitions. I had a very good training week, where I was able to do things to 100 per cent," Robben told Groningen's official website.

    "I'm really in a good position, but playing a match is completely different to training. After not having played football for a year, it is logical that you will experience some complaints.

    "That is part of the effort you make. The body responds to training, your body has to get used to it again. That is going well, but I thought it was still insufficient to play.

    "I also want to feel 100 per cent that I am ready for competitions. For that, I want to complete more group training first."

    Head coach Danny Buijs said: "Arjen has pushed the boundaries in his training programme last week and touched the limit.

    "The efforts he has made in the past week have led to some mild physical complaints in the form of muscle pain and stiffness. It's very understandable for a player of his age who has not played for a year, but a reason for us not to take any risks.

    "We repeat what we have said before: there is a greater purpose. We want to get and keep Arjen as fit as possible for matches. If he can play a role for us in as many matches as possible next season, we will be satisfied."

    Groningen are scheduled to start their 2020-21 Eredivisie campaign on September 13 against PSV, another of Robben's former clubs.

  • Besiktas coach Yalcin has no interest in Balotelli Besiktas coach Yalcin has no interest in Balotelli

    Mario Balotelli looks to have no hope of a move to Besiktas after club president Ahmet Nur Cebi said the Italian is not wanted by coach Sergen Yalcin.

    The Turkish Super Lig giants were reported to have offered Balotelli a lucrative contract, with the striker likely to be on the move again after a turbulent first season with Brescia.

    Brescia president Massimo Cellino revealed in May he expected Balotelli to leave his hometown club at the end of the season as the 30-year-old "no longer has his head with us".

    Cellino's comments came following reports the former Italy frontman failed to attend training, claims which were denied by Balotellli before Brescia suffered relegation from Serie A.

    Cebi suggested Balotelli's name cropped up when transfer targets were discussed, but Yalcin does not want to take the former Manchester City man to Istanbul.

    Cebi, quoted widely by Turkish media, said: "Sergen Yalcin does not consider Mario Balotelli as one of his options for the striker position. He told me that.

    "Executives usually have initial talks with players and listen to them. This doesn't mean that a move is bound to happen.

    "We will make the signings Sergen Yalcin has asked of us but, I want to put it frankly, we will not compromise our financial situation."

    As well as Cellino's criticism of Balotelli, the Italy international was reported to have clashed with former head coach Fabio Grosso at Brescia's training ground in November.

    He was given permission to leave the club in January, only to stay put before the coronavirus pandemic caused the suspension of the season in March.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.