Ajax and Brazil forward Neres ruled out until 2020 with knee injury

By Sports Desk November 08, 2019

Ajax and Brazil forward David Neres has been ruled out for the remainder of the year with a knee injury sustained against Chelsea, head coach Erik ten Hag has confirmed.

The 22-year-old has featured 20 times for the Dutch champions in all competitions this season, scoring six times and providing a couple of assists.

Neres played 72 minutes of Ajax's 4-4 Champions League draw with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday, but he damaged his meniscus in the first half and is sidelined until 2020.

"We will have to make do without David until the winter break," Ten Hag said at a news conference ahead of Sunday's home meeting with Utrecht.

"At half-time [against Chelsea] I asked everybody if they were okay and everybody said yes. Directly after the game it was clear that he was injured, but we didn't expect that it was so heavy.

"I think it happened in the first half. There were two small moments when he got a knock. But I can't know for sure."

Neres, who has started four games for Brazil this year, will miss Ajax's crucial Champions League games with Lille and Valencia.

"It's a major setback. These things happen. I feel really sorry for him," Ten Hag said.

"It's a major blow for him, but for the team as well. But it's mainly hard for him, because he was getting in a better shape. That makes it a big blow for the entire team as well."

Eredivisie leaders Ajax are top of Champions League Group H, level on points with Chelsea and Valencia.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Sancho's Man Utd transfer expected to be completed Rumour Has It: Sancho's Man Utd transfer expected to be completed

    Will he or won't he?

    That's the question regarding Jadon Sancho and a possible move to Manchester United.

    United, however, are reportedly bullish about their chances of prising the England international from Borussia Dortmund.

     

    TOP STORY – SOLSKJAER CONFIDENT IN SANCHO PURSUIT

    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho he expects the blockbuster transfer to be completed, according to Dagbladet.

    United have so far been unable to prise Sancho from Dortmund, who refuse to budge on their £108million (€120m) asking price, with the transfer window set to close on October 5.

    However, Solskjaer appears confident of landing his number one target.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Barcelona could announce the signing of Ajax full-back Sergino Dest on Tuesday, reports Fabrizio Romano. Bayern Munich are also trying to prise the United States international from Amsterdam.

    - The Telegraph says Tottenham are eyeing Bournemouth forward Josh King, who was previously linked to United.

    United are closing in on Porto full-back Alex Telles. Romano claims personal terms have been agreed, with final details and agents commission remaining as United and Porto negotiate a fee.

    - The Guardian reports Tottenham have not given up on signing Inter centre-back Milan Skriniar. Inter are holding out for £55m (€60m) but Spurs are only prepared to pay between €30m-€35m. Napoli's Nikola Maksimovic could reportedly replace Skriniar in Milan.

    - According to L'Equipe, Leeds United are nearing a deal to sign Bayern midfielder Michael Cuisance. Leeds have been unable to meet Udinese's demands for star Rodrigo De Paul.

    Marcelo Brozovic has realised Inter want to sell him as the Croatia international eyes an exit, reports Calciomercato. It comes as Inter chase Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante, who has since been linked to United.

    - Romano says Milan are confident of completing a deal for Bodo/Glimt star Jens Petter Hauge, who impressed during the Europa League qualifier at San Siro.

  • Rumour Has It: Ruben Dias to join Man City, Barca reject €150m offer for Fati Rumour Has It: Ruben Dias to join Man City, Barca reject €150m offer for Fati

    Ruben Dias is on the verge of leaving Benfica.

    The Portugal international is wanted by Pep Guardiola's Manchester City.

    Could he help City dethrone Premier League champions Liverpool?

     

    TOP STORY – DIAS SET FOR CITY

    Benfica defender Ruben Dias will join Manchester City, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano.

    Pep Guardiola has been eyeing defensive reinforcements following Nathan Ake's arrival from Bournemouth, and now Dias is set to swap Benfica for City.

    As part of the deal, veteran centre-back Nicolas Otamendi will move in the opposite direction.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Marca says Barcelona rejected a €150million offer for teenage sensation Ansu Fati from an unnamed club. Manchester United have been linked previously.

    Sergino Dest will travel to Camp Nou to complete his move to Barca, reports RAC1. The Ajax full-back is also wanted by Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

    Milan and Roma are both interested in signing Norwich City right-back Max Aarons, says Sky Sports. The Englishman has previously been linked to Barca and Bayern.

    - According to Sportitalia, West Ham are in talks with Serie A holders Juventus for defender Daniele Rugani.

    - Lyon want €50million (£46m) for in-demand star Houssem Aouar amid interest from Arsenal, claims RMC Sport. Paris Saint-Germain, City and Chelsea have also been linked.

  • TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS TTFA seeks to rescind withdrawal of case against FIFA - vows to take suspension to CAS

    The embattled Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) William Wallace-led executive has sought permission to reverse the withdrawal of proceedings, in the case brought against FIFA, currently before the T&T High Court.

    Earlier this week, a TTFA membership meeting that was held saw its membership unofficially vote to cease the TTFA action against FIFA in the court.  Wallace and his executive reluctantly agreed, and action was taken to withdraw the suit before the court on Wednesday.  The body, however, missed the deadline to withdraw the lawsuit by two minutes and were as a result suspended by FIFA.

    Originally, the TFFA had been given until September 16 to withdraw the action, but FIFA had given a further extension until the 23rd

    In explaining its reasons for choosing to suspend the TTFA, FIFA on Thursday said “The suspension was prompted by the former leadership of the TTFA lodging a claim before (the TT High Court) in order to contest the decision of the FIFA Council to appoint a normalisation committee for the TTFA. This course of action was in direct breach of article 59 of the FIFA Statutes, which expressly prohibits recourse to ordinary courts unless specifically provided for in the FIFA regulations.”

    According to Keith Look Loy, a former member of Wallaces' TTFA executive, the reason for returning the case to the court is in order to challenge the FIFA suspension at the CAS.

     “We filed an injunction at the CAS against the suspension. But to ensure we had legal standing to do so, we had to have a legal matter before the local courts. Had the case been withdrawn from the court, there would be no legal standing in the local high court,” Look Loy told the Trinidad and Tobago Newsday.

    “There would be no legal standing because they have no case before the court, which means they have accepted FIFA’s imposition of the normalisation committee. We do not accept this and thus had to withdraw the withdrawal application to file such an injunction against FIFA.”

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.