Valverde insists he is 'not worried' about Barcelona future

By Sports Desk November 08, 2019

Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde insists he is not worried about his future at the club.

A 3-1 LaLiga defeat at Levante last Saturday was followed by a 0-0 draw with Slavia Prague at Camp Nou in the Champions League, in which home fans made their frustrations clear with whistles from the stands.

Barca sit top of LaLiga after 11 matches but criticism is nonetheless mounting on Valverde, who appeared close to the sack at the end of last season but was given support by president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Valverde says he still feels he has the backing of the board and that he is not concerned about his position, especially since Barca had previously been on a seven-game winning run in all competitions.

"I'm not worried about my future," he told reporters on Friday. "The other day I had dinner [with Bartomeu]. I feel supported and respected.

"Whether you understand [the criticism] or not, it's how it is. I don't have much to say.

"If we'd scored a goal [against Slavia], everyone would be more calm. It's how it is. You have to accept things as they come.

"A week ago, we were on the highway, we had seven wins in a row. Now, we'll see."

Barca host Celta Vigo on Saturday in their final match before the international break.

Oscar Garcia's side are on a poor run of their own, having lost five of their past six league games, with just two goals scored in that run.

Despite a relative lack of preparation time for the match at Camp Nou, Valverde is determined to get his team back to winning ways.

"We need a win," Valverde admits. "We lost a game in six minutes [at Levante]. We need to get back on the path of taking three points because we need them and because we know what it means for this team to lose.

"We're motivated and we know how difficult a game it will be.

"We prepared for Slavia in two training sessions because we didn't have any more. It's normally like that for the whole season. There are two game days, four to prepare for the games – that seems normal to me."

Related items

  • Lionel Messi 'to stay at Barcelona until 2021' after exit clause expires Lionel Messi 'to stay at Barcelona until 2021' after exit clause expires

    Lionel Messi will remain at Barcelona until at least 2021 after the exit clause in his contract expired, according to multiple reports.

    Six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi had a stipulation in his existing deal, which runs until the end of next season, that allowed him to leave Barca for free at the end of the 2019-20 campaign.

    However, according to widespread reports, the Argentina international has not taken up the option, which needed to be activated at the weekend in order to take effect.

    Barca captain Messi will now contest a 17th season at Camp Nou.

    Speculation that Messi's time with LaLiga's champions was coming to an end gained traction in February amid a public falling out with sporting director Eric Abidal, who suggested a lack of effort from the squad was part of the reasoning for sacking coach Ernesto Valverde.

    In March, the 32-year-old used the Barca's announcement that wages would be slashed by 70 per cent during the coronavirus pandemic to criticise people inside the club "that want to put us under a magnifying glass or try to pressure us into something that we were always clear we wanted to do".

    Manchester City and Inter were reportedly monitoring Messi's situation at Camp Nou, though in April he branded rumours he was going to move to the Serie A club "fake news".

    Messi is Barca's all-time leading goalscorer and president Josep Maria Bartomeu is keen to tie him down to another contract.

    The attacker will be hoping to win a 35th piece of silverware with the Catalan giants when LaLiga resumes from June 11.

    Barca sit two points clear of Real Madrid at the top of LaLiga with 11 games remaining, while the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against Napoli is likely to take place in August.

  • Coronavirus: Las Palmas president says fans could attend match with Girona on June 13 Coronavirus: Las Palmas president says fans could attend match with Girona on June 13

    The president of Las Palmas believes their match against Girona on June 13 could be the first in Europe attended by fans since the coronavirus pandemic struck.

    Miguel Angel Ramirez believes the minimal infection rate for COVID-19 in the Canary Islands could make it safe for fans to watch the game at Estadio Gran Canaria.

    The islands of La Gomera, El Hierro and La Graciosa have received official clearance to move to Phase Three of Spain's lockdown de-escalation measures, and it is reported the larger islands that make up the chain – including Gran Canaria – could move out of Phase Two next week.

    Ramirez believes such easing in social distancing measures will make it possible for fans to attend Las Palmas' first match of the resumed 2019-20 Segunda Division season.

    "The Las Palmas fans will be able to attend the stadium to cheer on their team from June 13 against Girona," he told the club's official radio station.

    "The Canary Islands is a safe destination. Gran Canaria is a safe destination. We can become the only stadium in the major leagues to play again with fans in the stands."

    Spain was one of the worst-hit countries in Europe by the pandemic, but strict lockdown measures and a staggered release of those restrictions across autonomous regions has helped to keep infection and death rates under control in recent weeks.

    LaLiga is due to resume with the derby match between Sevilla and Real Betis on June 13, although all games in the top flight are expected to be behind closed doors for the foreseeable future.

  • Coutinho wants Premier League return, claims agent Coutinho wants Premier League return, claims agent

    Philippe Coutinho is aiming to return to the Premier League, according to his agent Kia Joorabchian.

    Coutinho was a star at Liverpool, yet failed to establish himself at Barcelona following a €145million move in January 2018.

    The Brazil playmaker subsequently joined Bayern Munich on loan in August 2019 and has scored eight goals in 22 Bundesliga appearances.

    With Coutinho out injured, it does not seem likely Bayern will be extending his stay after electing not to take up a €120m purchase option, with a host of Premier League clubs, including Tottenham, Arsenal and former side Liverpool, reportedly interested.

    Joorabchian, who also represents Coutinho's compatriots David Luiz and Willian, has now confirmed the 27-year-old has set a return to England in his sights.

    "He has a desire to come back to the Premier League at some point," Joorabchian told Sky Sports.

    "It may not happen this year, it may happen this year but we don't know. We really have not discussed anything for now."

    However, Joorabchian insisted talks of Barca putting a £70million (€78m) price tag on Coutinho, or asking for a £9m (€10m) loan fee, are wide of the mark.

    "I've never heard those figures, we've never discussed numbers, none of those figures have ever been discussed," he added.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.