EPL

Guardiola calls on police to ensure no repeat of Man City bus attack at Anfield

By Sports Desk November 08, 2019

Pep Guardiola has called on Merseyside police to ensure there is no repeat of the 2018 attack on Manchester City's bus when they face off with Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday.

City's bus was damaged when making its way to the ground for the first leg of a Champions League quarter-final tie against the Reds, which Liverpool won 3-0.

This week, a poster circulated on social media in which fans were encouraged to "greet" City's coach ahead of the top-of-the-table Premier League clash.

And Guardiola urged police to make sure his team arrive without incident.

"No. Hopefully it will not happen again, so the police knew about [it] for the Champions League game before and didn't do anything," he said. 

"I don't know what they are going to do, hopefully it will be an incredible game at Anfield for the Premier League and for all around the world. 

"That is what we want. Hopefully it's not going to happen, the same that happened two seasons ago when we arrive, which was more than one bottle."

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp issued a similar message, calling on fans to provide vociferous vocal backing in the stands but not to engage in "senseless" acts.

"I'm a big believer of fan power – in the stadium. That's completely different. [The coach incident] was a senseless thing," Klopp said. 

"If somebody at Man City is concerned still, then it's our fault. Not that we did it all together, we all didn't throw the bottle or whatever it was, but it was one of us. That's why we are responsible. 

"All of us have to make sure that something like this will never happen again. It's long ago and since then nothing has happened. I don't think it was Man City specific. 

"After the punishment we got, we haven't had a similar situation – the positive outcome of something like this. 

"Actually, we used to enjoy that [the coach welcome], when we come in, it's impressive. It's a nice part of football, but if you overstep the line then it's not allowed that you do it anymore. 

"That's how it is. I wish I could say it will never happen again but unfortunately I can't. But what I can say is we will do everything that it will never happen again. 

"Everybody agrees to feel this responsibility that it won't happen again. That's why I say – go in the stadium, nothing to do outside, have your food, go in, wait for the team, we will come, let's make a pretty special game of it."

Superintendent Paul White issued a statement on Merseyside Police's official website addressing the poster doing the rounds on social media and insisted they are doing all they can to ensure there are no major incidents.

"As with any match, a comprehensive and appropriate policing operation has been put in place ahead of Sunday's game and we have liaised with both clubs and their supporter groups," he said.

"We are aware of one poster on social media regarding a bus welcome. The corresponding last fixture ran smoothly and we are working to ensure this game can be enjoyed safely by all as well as minimising any disruption to local residents and roads.

"As with all Premier League fixtures at Anfield, we will have officers on duty at the ground, both uniformed and plain clothed, supported by mobile CCTV, provided by Liverpool City Council, and specialist resources including the Dog Section, mounted police and the National Police Air Service. We will also have a city centre policing plan in place throughout the day. This is standard procedure. 

"We know that this will be a busy operation and we hope that fans attending the match will act as ambassadors for their clubs. 

"As usual we would ask fans with tickets to arrive at the ground as early as possible. Fans without tickets should not attend at all; they will not be allowed entry into the stadium."

Related items

  • Jorge Jesus extends Flamengo contract Jorge Jesus extends Flamengo contract

    Flamengo head coach Jorge Jesus has extended his contract with the Brazilian giants until at least 2021.

    Jesus, 65, took the helm of Flamengo last year and led the club to three trophies in 2019, winning the Copa Libertadores, Brazilian Serie A and Campeonato Carioca.

    The former Benfica boss confirmed he had agreed to a new deal on Tuesday, with reports suggesting he will earn around €4million.

    "My representatives reached an agreement today with Flamengo's board of directors to renew my contract for another year," Jesus wrote on Instagram.

    "My friendly relations with the entire squad, club structure and Flamengo's fans were decisive to touch my heart and spoke louder in my decision.

    "Thank you all for your kindness and support."

    Jesus has led Flamengo to 41 wins from 55 games since taking charge in June last year.

    The Copa Libertadores success last year was Flamengo's first since 1981.

  • Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links

    Hernan Crespo labelled Lautaro Martinez a "complete player" and wants the forward to snub Barcelona and stay at Inter.

    Martinez, 22, is heavily linked with a move to the LaLiga giants after an impressive season at Inter, scoring 16 goals in 31 games in 2019-20.

    Former Inter and Argentina forward Crespo believes Martinez should stay at San Siro and establish himself further before moving on.

    "I would like him to stay at Inter because this has been his first year as a starter," he told David de las Heras on YouTube, via Sport.

    "I wish he had a bit more solid foundation before another change comes. Trains slow down at the best stations and Lautaro is one of them."

    Crespo, now head coach of Defensa y Justicia, won three Serie A titles with Inter, where the former Chelsea forward spent four seasons.

    The 44-year-old likes what he has seen from Martinez, who also has nine international goals in 17 appearances for Argentina.

    "He is a very serious and focused boy. I really like that. He has a lot of personality," Crespo said.

    "He is a complete player who can play in attack both alone and accompanying another striker."

  • Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent

    Juventus must talk to Chelsea if they want to sign Jorginho, according to the Italy star's agent Joao Santos.

    Serie A champions Juve are reportedly interested in reuniting head coach Maurizio Sarri with Jorginho in Turin – the pair having worked together at Chelsea and Napoli.

    Jorginho has emerged as a possible replacement for Miralem Pjanic, who has been linked to LaLiga champions Barcelona and Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain.

    The latest rumours, however, claim Jorginho and Juve's Federico Bernardeschi could be involved in a swap deal.

    Santos, though, denied Juve have made contact regarding Chelsea midfielder Jorginho.

    "I only hear about these rumours from the newspapers, because nobody from Juventus has contacted me," Santos told TuttoJuve.com.

    "Maurizio Sarri appreciates him very much as a person and a player, they worked very well together, but that's all there is to it right now. The player is focused only on Chelsea, he's resumed training and is preparing for the Premier League restart.

    "In my view, it would be difficult for the Bianconeri to buy him today, because the transfer market has changed with the pandemic and Jorginho has a contract with Chelsea until 2023. He is the vice-captain and considered an important player for the squad.

    "I don't just mean Juventus, but all the biggest European clubs would struggle to pay that much for one player right now."

    Santos added: "If it should happen [a proposal from Juve], I say that anyone who wants Jorginho has to talk to Chelsea and Marina [Granovskaia]. Then we will evaluate together what to do. That would not be a problem."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.