Rogic, Boyle return as Socceroos include uncapped Dougall

By Sports Desk November 07, 2019

Kenneth Dougall could make his Socceroos debut later this month as Tom Rogic and Martin Boyle were also named in a 24-man Australia squad for a World Cup qualifier against Jordan.

Barnsley midfielder Dougall, 26, is the only uncapped player in the squad for the clash in Amman on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Celtic playmaker Rogic and Hibernian attacker Boyle – who is back from a knee injury – are also part of the squad.

Australia head coach Graham Arnold has opted for a slightly extended squad due to star attacker Mathew Leckie awaiting the birth of his second child.

"There are a few minor injury issues with some players who were part of our successful October window – including Mark Milligan, Jamie Maclaren, and Mustafa Amini – so we felt it was important to select players that physically will hit the ground running in Amman," Arnold said in a statement on Friday.

"Overall, I am delighted with the strength and balance of the squad that we have selected to play Jordan next week.

"We will have three training sessions together before the match, and with competition for places for every starting position I expect I will have to make some tough decisions."

The Socceroos have won their opening three matches to hold a two-point lead over Jordan atop Group B.

Australia: Adam Federici (Stoke City), Andrew Redmayne (Sydney FC), Mathew Ryan (Brighton and Hove Albion); Aziz Behich (Istanbul Basaksehir), Milos Degenek (Red Star Belgrade), Rhyan Grant (Sydney FC), Josh Risdon (Western United), Trent Sainsbury (Maccabi Haifa), Brad Smith (Seattle Sounders), Harry Souttar (Fleetwood Town), Bailey Wright (Bristol City); Kenneth Dougall (Barnsley), Ajdin Hrustic (Groningen), Jackson Irvine (Hull City), James Jeggo (Austria Vienna), Aaron Mooy (Brighton and Hove Albion), Tom Rogic (Celtic); Brandon Borrello (Freiburg), Martin Boyle (Hibernian), Apostolos Giannou (AEK Larnaca), Craig Goodwin (Al-Wehda), Mathew Leckie (Hertha Berlin), Awer Mabil (Midtjylland), Adam Taggart (Suwon Bluewings).

Related items

  • Concacaf announces host cities and stadiums for 2021 Gold Cup Concacaf announces host cities and stadiums for 2021 Gold Cup
    Concacaf has announced the nine stadiums in six US metropolitan areas that will host group, quarterfinal, and semifinal matches in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup. The 16th edition of Concacaf’s flagship men's international competition will crown the best men's national team in the region. 

    This announcement comes after Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas, NV) and DRV PNK Stadium (Fort Lauderdale, FL) were confirmed as the host venues for the Final (August 1) and the Prelims (July 2-6), respectively.  The 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup is a key part of the Confederation’s 60th-anniversary celebration and a vibrant summer of football, which will also include the Concacaf Nations League Finals in June. 

    “The announcement of these outstanding venues moves us a step closer to what is sure to be a great Gold Cup this summer,” said Concacaf President and FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani. “It is fitting that in our 60th anniversary year we will use a number of stadiums with a rich history of hosting Concacaf football, while also making history with new venues that will host Gold Cup matches for the very first time.”

    “I am also extremely pleased that we have enhanced the Gold Cup format so that all the final group stage games will be played simultaneously. This will add to the competitive intensity of the tournament and provide an even more compelling spectacle for fans. Alongside the introduction of a first-ever Gold Cup Prelims and a new format in the knockout stage this is another example of our football first approach at Concacaf,” added Montagliani.

    The nine stadiums that will host group and knockout stage matches of this year’s edition of the Concacaf Gold Cup are, in alphabetical order by stadium name (previously hosted Gold Cups):
    • AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX (2009, 2011, 2013, and 2017)
    • BBVA Stadium, Houston, TX (2013, 2015, 2017, and 2019)
    • Children's Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS (2011, 2015, 2019)
    • Cotton Bowl, Dallas, TX (1993)
    • Exploria Stadium, Orlando, FL (first-time host)
    • NRG Stadium, Houston, TX (2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2019)
    • Q2 Stadium, Austin, TX (first-time host)
    • State Farm Stadium, Glendale, AZ (2009, 2015, 2017, 2019)
    • Toyota Stadium, Frisco, TX (2015, 2017, and 2019)
  • Simeone warns leaders Atleti 'cannot relax' in LaLiga title race Simeone warns leaders Atleti 'cannot relax' in LaLiga title race

    Diego Simeone warned Atletico Madrid must not relax in a "complex" LaLiga race after a 2-0 win over Huesca moved them back to the top of the table.

    Angel Correa's deflected first-half strike and a Yannick Carrasco goal 10 minutes from time at the Wanda Metropolitano on Thursday sent Atleti three points clear of Real Madrid at the summit.

    Atleti thrashed Eibar 5-0 last weekend after picking up only one point from the previous two games against Sevilla and Real Betis.

    Simeone knows there can be no let-up from his side in the battle to be crowned champions, with six games to go including a trip to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday.

    Real Madrid's 3-0 win over Cadiz on Wednesday had temporarily nudged Atletico down to second place.

    Atletico boss Simeone said: "LaLiga is very complex, we cannot relax, tomorrow we will take care of the Bilbao game."

    He added: "There are four teams close to being able to close a great season, Sevilla are doing well, Madrid responded well yesterday and Barcelona are playing now.

    "We are to think game by game and we are not going to change now. We think about the next game and we will try to move it forward."

    Barcelona won 5-2 against Getafe in Spain's late match on Thursday, after Simeone held his post-game news conference, and Ronald Koeman's side remain very much in the title frame, with a game in hand and a home fixture against Atletico to come next month.

    Simeone praised his players for the way they have reacted to slipping up against Sevilla and Betis.

    "After Betis I said that the team was in a moment of resistance and is growing after that game," said the former Argentina midfielder.

    Simeone reiterated that Atletico's withdrawal from a proposed European Super League was the right decision.

    "The day before the decision was made, they already told us what was going to be discussed, it seems like a great decision to me." he said.

  • Barcelona 5-2 Getafe: Messi turns on the style in Blaugrana rout Barcelona 5-2 Getafe: Messi turns on the style in Blaugrana rout

    Barcelona kept within touching distance of LaLiga leaders Atletico Madrid as Lionel Messi inspired Ronald Koeman's team to a 5-2 victory over Getafe.

    As Atleti were beating Huesca to move three points clear at the top of LaLiga, Barca released a statement prior to their own contest at Camp Nou, reiterating a commitment to the seemingly failed European Super League project.

    While that topic seems set to rumble on, Messi served up a reminder of just what the game is at its very best with another sublime showing, scoring twice in an action-packed first half which also saw Sofian Chakla and Clement Lenglet turn into their own nets.

    Enes Unal's penalty after a VAR review gave Getafe hope, but Ronald Araujo headed in from Messi's superb corner before Antoine Griezmann converted from the spot in stoppage time.

    A magnificent Messi strike seemed set to put Barca ahead within three minutes, yet Getafe survived – the ball bouncing down and away off the underside of the crossbar.

    Messi would not be denied again five minutes later, as he beat Getafe's offside trap and finished over David Soria.

    But with Oscar Mingueza off the field receiving treatment for a knee injury, Barca were swiftly pegged back when Angel Rodriguez's wayward shot diverted in off Lenglet.

    It was a huge stroke of misfortune that saw Getafe concede for a second time.

    Soria rushed out to get onto a loose ball, only for Chakla to instead play a blind pass beyond his goalkeeper, whose despairing dive into the net only added to the comedy of errors.

    It was 3-1 five minutes later – Messi's right-footed volley coming back off the post, but Barca's talisman was on hand to tuck in the rebound.

    Getafe received a lifeline when Araujo was adjudged after a VAR check to have fouled Unal, who converted the resulting penalty to reduce the deficit with 21 minutes remaining.

    Yet Araujo made amends in the 87th minute, powerfully heading home from Messi's corner to secure the points, with Griezmann's last-minute penalty adding further gloss to a win which moves Barca third, five points behind Atleti with a game in hand.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.