Liverpool won't face UEFA action over 'offensive' Origi banner

By Sports Desk November 07, 2019

Liverpool will not face any action from UEFA after supporters displayed an inappropriate banner of Divock Origi ahead of last month's Champions League clash at Genk.

Reds fans unfurled the banner during the warm-up before the clash in Belgium and the club later condemned it as "offensive", suggesting it "perpetuated a racist stereotype".

However, the incident was not included in any official reports and so UEFA will not open a case, Omnisport understands.

Jurgen Klopp's side won the game 4-1 and also beat Genk in the return fixture on Tuesday to sit top of Group E in defence of their European crown. 

Related items

  • Scaloni: If Barca target Martinez plays with Messi, he is much better Scaloni: If Barca target Martinez plays with Messi, he is much better

    Lionel Scaloni said playing alongside countryman Lionel Messi is better for Inter star Lautaro Martinez amid growing links to Barcelona.

    Martinez has been tipped to swap Serie A side Inter for LaLiga champions Barca in the off-season following his exploits in Italy.

    The Argentina international forward scored 16 goals in 31 matches across all competitions before the 2019-20 season was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    As speculation grows over Martinez's future, Argentina head coach Scaloni discussed the 22-year-old.

    "If he plays with Messi he is better, no doubt. Beyond that later he will have to fight for the position as he did in Inter," Scaloni told TyC Sports.

    "We have to be calm. If he changes clubs, maybe he does not have to be the undisputed starter, and it will not affect us, as long as he has a number of minutes that allows him to be in force.

    "He has a huge future but still has a lot to give."

    With Martinez dominating headlines, Scaloni issued a reminder about Sergio Aguero's exploits for Argentina and Manchester City.

    Aguero is City's all-time top scorer as he celebrated his 32nd birthday on Tuesday, while he is third on Argentina's overall goals list with 41.

    "Talking so much about Lautaro, it is Sergio who is breaking all the records," added Scaloni. "That is why you have to go calmly and wait for the moment of each one."

  • Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent

    Juventus must talk to Chelsea if they want to sign Jorginho, according to the Italy star's agent Joao Santos.

    Serie A champions Juve are reportedly interested in reuniting head coach Maurizio Sarri with Jorginho in Turin – the pair having worked together at Chelsea and Napoli.

    Jorginho has emerged as a possible replacement for Miralem Pjanic, who has been linked to LaLiga champions Barcelona and Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain.

    The latest rumours, however, claim Jorginho and Juve's Federico Bernardeschi could be involved in a swap deal.

    Santos, though, denied Juve have made contact regarding Chelsea midfielder Jorginho.

    "I only hear about these rumours from the newspapers, because nobody from Juventus has contacted me," Santos told TuttoJuve.com.

    "Maurizio Sarri appreciates him very much as a person and a player, they worked very well together, but that's all there is to it right now. The player is focused only on Chelsea, he's resumed training and is preparing for the Premier League restart.

    "In my view, it would be difficult for the Bianconeri to buy him today, because the transfer market has changed with the pandemic and Jorginho has a contract with Chelsea until 2023. He is the vice-captain and considered an important player for the squad.

    "I don't just mean Juventus, but all the biggest European clubs would struggle to pay that much for one player right now."

    Santos added: "If it should happen [a proposal from Juve], I say that anyone who wants Jorginho has to talk to Chelsea and Marina [Granovskaia]. Then we will evaluate together what to do. That would not be a problem."

  • Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest

    Olivier Giroud admitted he "very nearly" left Chelsea during the January transfer window before extending his contract with the Premier League club.

    Giroud was linked with Serie A sides Inter and Lazio, but last month extended his deal through until the end of next season.

    The 33-year-old striker said he was close to leaving Stamford Bridge before receiving assurances from head coach Frank Lampard.

    "I was supposed to leave in the January transfer window because I wasn't playing much and I needed more game time to make the France squad for Euro 2020," Giroud told the club's website.

    "I very nearly left the club but I really think that God wanted me to stay at Chelsea.

    "The manager told me that he couldn't let me leave because he didn't have anyone to replace me. Everyone knows what happened so I won't go back over it but the coach spoke to me privately and told me that he'd give more games.

    "He kept his word and what then mattered to me was proving to him that he could count on me when I was called upon."

    Giroud arrived at Chelsea from Arsenal in 2018 and has already helped the club win the Europa League and FA Cup.

    The France international is eager to win more silverware with Chelsea, while saying he was happy in London.

    "I want to keep winning trophies and I want to continue to show the manager that he can count on me," Giroud said.

    "Plus, with the whole coronavirus lockdown situation, I didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of moving abroad and uprooting my family. I think a lot about our quality of life and we have a great setup here. I think a lot about my family now."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.