Pochettino: Tottenham victory in Belgrade only 'a small step'

By Sports Desk November 06, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino warned his Tottenham players "it is only a small step" after they ended their barren away run with a 4-0 Champions League win at Red Star Belgrade.

Tottenham eased to all three points in Wednesday's clash thanks to a couple of goals from Son Heung-min and one apiece for Giovani Lo Celso and Christian Eriksen.

Victory for Tottenham was their first away from home since May 8, a run spanning nine matches in all competitions, and Pochettino wants his side to build on the three points.

"I think it was a great result away from home," he said at his post-match news conference. "We needed to have a game like this to recover our best feelings and give us confidence.

"The performance was very good in a very difficult place. I am so happy but we need to keep going. It is only a small step."

Tottenham became the first English side to win a Champions League match at Rajko Mitic Stadium, a year to the day since Liverpool suffered defeat there, making the victory all the more impressive in the eyes of Pochettino.

"We were preparing, very conscious of how Liverpool suffered here last year," he said. "We expected a very tough game and it was important to be aggressive and try to dominate and I thought our game in the opposition half was excellent. 

"There was also luck involved as we managed to score in the first half and they didn't."

Lo Celso opened the scoring for Tottenham in Belgrade on his full debut, while Tanguy Ndombele put in a good midfield shift and fellow newcomer Ryan Sessegnon continued his comeback from injury as a late substitute.

Pochettino was particularly pleased with the performance of Lo Celso, who had previously been restricted to six substitute appearances due to a hip injury.

"I think it was a very good display," he said. "Always it's difficult for a new player when he arrives, and after the team was very successful last season.

"He arrived at the end of the pre-season. The circumstances were that he was behind everyone, got injured with the national team and then it was about building his fitness and his confidence, and then waiting for the opportunity to be in the starting XI and feel the opportunity.

"I am happy because he is a very good player and his personality and character is great. Now he only needs time like Tanguy and Ryan. They are so young. 

"They arrive now to the team in difficult circumstances, not the best circumstances. That is why like I tell you always I don't expect too much, I am happy with that they provide to the team. They need time. I am happy with the players."

Second-placed Tottenham are four points better off than Red Star in Group B and can guarantee a place in the last 16 with victory at home to bottom side Olympiacos later this month.

Related items

  • Copenhagen need to be 'perfect' against Man Utd, says Solbakken Copenhagen need to be 'perfect' against Man Utd, says Solbakken

    Stale Solbakken said Copenhagen needed to be "perfect" to have any chance of upsetting Manchester United in the Europa League.

    The Danish side face United in the quarter-finals in Cologne on Monday looking to cause a huge shock.

    As they prepare for the 2020-21 Superliga season, Copenhagen overcame Istanbul Basaksehir in the last 16, recording a 3-0 second-leg win on Wednesday.

    But Solbakken said only perfection would be enough for his side against United, who have lost just one of their past 23 games.

    "In order to [beat United] we have to play perfect, we need a bit of luck. We maybe need a United that doesn't fire on all cylinders," he told a news conference.

    "We need to be perfect defensively. We need to take one or two or three chances we get during a game like this. The chances are not great, but it's an advantage for us this is not over 90 minutes but 180 minutes.

    "But we have a good feeling after the season we had a week's break and when the players returned from that we were able to get a couple of players ready to play that were vital to us before.

    "We have a good feeling after the 3-0 victory, but you should not put your house on us. We'll give everything."

  • Pirlo's Juventus appointment surprises Zola Pirlo's Juventus appointment surprises Zola

    Gianfranco Zola said he is "surprised" by Juventus' decision to appoint first-time head coach Andrea Pirlo following Maurizio Sarri's dismissal.

    Pirlo, 41, was sensationally appointed Juve coach on Saturday after the Serie A winners sacked Sarri following their Champions League last-16 exit at the hands of Lyon.

    Former Juve midfielder Pirlo, who was only recently named the Under-23s boss in Turin, will surprisingly have his first taste of senior coaching with the Bianconeri.

    Zola worked as an assistant to Sarri at Chelsea in 2018-19 and he told Sky Sport Italia: "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised by this.

    "It's fascinating and if the project works, it'll go down as a huge success story for the club. It's not an easy job, though, as Juventus are asking to win in a certain way.

    "This is a courageous move from the club and based on the quality of the man, but Pirlo will need their support going forward. It's not simple, but I do think he can have real success."

    Pirlo left Juve in 2015 after the Bianconeri, who had been chasing the treble, were beaten 3-1 in the Champions League final by Barcelona.

    He spent two years in MLS with New York City before calling time on his playing career.

    The 2006 World Cup winner is a six-time Serie A champion, having won two Scudetti with Milan and four with Juve. He twice triumphed in the Champions League as a Rossoneri player, in 2003 and 2007.

  • Coronavirus: Goias v Sao Paulo postponed just before kick-off after 10 players test positive Coronavirus: Goias v Sao Paulo postponed just before kick-off after 10 players test positive

    Goias had their opening game of the Campeonato Brasileiro season against Sao Paulo postponed after 10 of the club's players tested positive for COVID-19.

    In the hours leading up to kick-off on Sunday, Goias announced they had only that day been informed 10 of their 26-man squad had returned a positive result and eight of those were set to feature in the starting line-up.

    Tests carried out on Thursday were deemed invalid by the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) due to being "improperly packaged", the club said.

    After receiving the results from a new round of testing undertaken on Friday less than 24 hours before kick-off, Goias sought to have the game suspended.

    Players took to the field to warm-up as it remained unclear whether the match would go ahead, but a decision was taken just before the scheduled kick-off at 16:00 local time (19:00 GMT).

    The president of the CBF's medical commission Jorge Pagura told SporTV: "As soon as it was clear that the results came out, that Goias had 10 players with a positive test, we started to contact the Goias medical department.

    "Goias requested, as is its right, to do a counter-test. We awaited the results.

    "In order not to lose the game we waited the maximum amount of time. Near the time to make the decision came the result of the 10 positives. At that time, health comes first."

    Results of the counter-tests carried out by Goias were only received 10 minutes before kick-off and nine of the initial group of 10 were positive again, club president Marcelo Almeida told a news conference.

    Sao Paulo approved of the decision not to go ahead with the game.

    "Sao Paulo expresses its support and informs that it is in agreement with the decision to postpone the game this Sunday, in Goiania," the club posted on Twitter.

    "There is nothing more important, at this time, than preserving health and reflecting to society the important of taking care."

    Brazil has seen over three million confirmed cases of coronavirus and more than 100,000 deaths as a result of the virus.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.