Marquinhos tells PSG to guard against more surprises after Dijon defeat

By Sports Desk November 02, 2019

Marquinhos warned Paris Saint-Germain to expect more ambushes of the kind that saw them suffer a shock 2-1 defeat to struggling Dijon on Friday.

The Ligue 1 leaders opened the scoring against the run of play through Kylian Mbappe before being punished for a below-par display at Stade Gaston Gerard.

Mounir Chouiar equalised deep into first-half stoppage time and Jhonder Cadiz competed the quickfire comeback moments after the restart as Dijon, bottom of the table at the start of the match, secured just their third victory of the season.

The upset brought PSG's impressive six-match winning streak in all competitions to a shuddering halt and prompted centre-back Marquinhos to deliver words of caution.

"We know what it means for the other teams to play against PSG. We are the team to beat in France," the Brazilian said.

"The other teams are happy when they get a good result against us. It's a different game for the other teams and we have to understand that. We must not be surprised as we were today.

"We need to be focused from the beginning of the game. We started well with the goal but then there were substitutions and breaks in play. I think we relaxed at that point."

PSG eventually started to find fluency in the second half and would have rescued at least a point had Mauro Icardi made the most of several chances.

Marquinhos noted the improvement but had more praise for Dijon's dogged resistance.

"They played like heroes," he said. "They played a good game, they were clinical. We weren't.

"That explains the result at the end."

Related items

  • JFF lauds Reggae Boyz captain, MLS Golden Glove Award winner Andre Blake JFF lauds Reggae Boyz captain, MLS Golden Glove Award winner Andre Blake

    The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has offered its congratulations to Reggae Boyz Captain Andre Blake for having won the Golden Glove Award for the just-concluded MLS IS BACK Tournament.

  • Trinidad High Court rules in favour of TTFA in dispute with FIFA Trinidad High Court rules in favour of TTFA in dispute with FIFA

     The Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice delivered a blow to FIFA on Thursday when it denied football’s world governing body’s application challenging the jurisdiction of the court to adjudicate the dispute between the parties.

    Both sides had submitted arguments before Justice Carol Gobin on July 29.

    The TTFA and FIFA have been in dispute since March when FIFA dissolved the association’s administration who were in office four months and installed a normalization committee to oversee the affairs of the debt-ridden association.

    TTFA took the matter to the CAS but later withdrew citing fears of institutional bias.

    On May 18, lawyers for the William-Wallace executive had filed an application in the Trinidad and Tobago High Court seeking a permanent injunction to prevent FIFA from interfering or seeking to override the “fair and transparent democratic processes of the TTFA and/or preventing them from removing the executive of duly elected officers from office.

    The TTFA was represented ly Dr Emir Crowne, Matthew Gayle, Jason Jones and Crystal Paul of the New City Chambers while Fifa was represented Christopher Hamel-Smith SC, Jonathan Walker and Cherie Gopie from M Hamel-Smith and Co.

    FIFA now has 21 days to file a defence against an application for an injunction filed by the ousted executive of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA). FIFA has also been ordered to pay costs.

  • T&T among seeded teams as CONCACAF announces draw procedure for qualifiers T&T among seeded teams as CONCACAF announces draw procedure for qualifiers

    The draw details for the Concacaf Qualifiers to FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 have been confirmed.

    The draw will take place on August 19 and as previously announced, the Concacaf Qualifiers for Qatar 2022 will take place over the course of three rounds, beginning with the First Round in October and November 2020.

    Thirty of Concacaf’s 35 FIFA Member Associations will start the journey to compete for the region’s 3.5 qualifying spots.

    Based on the FIFA World Ranking as of 16 July 2020, the draw for the first round will allocate the 30 lowest-ranked Concacaf teams to six groups.

     

    The pots for the first-round draw are as follows:

    Pot 1: El Salvador, Canada, Curaçao, Panama, Haiti, Trinidad and Tobago

    Pot 2: Antigua and Barbuda, Guatemala, St Kitts and Nevis, Suriname, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic

    Pot 3: Grenada, Barbados, Guyana, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Bermuda, Belize

    Pot 4: St Lucia, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Montserrat, Dominica, Cayman Islands

    Pot 5: Bahamas, Aruba, Turks and Caicos Islands, US Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, Anguilla

     

    The draw will begin by allocating the 30 teams into six different groups consisting of five teams in each group. The six teams from Pot 1, including 2018 FIFA World Cup participant Panama, will be pre-seeded to positions A1, B1, C1, D1, E1 and F1.

    The highest-ranked team in Pot 1, El Salvador, will occupy position A1, while the lowest-ranked team in Pot 1, Trinidad and Tobago, will occupy position F1.

    The draw will continue by identifying groups for teams in Pots 2, 3, 4 and 5. The position which each team occupies in a group is determined based on the pot from which it is drawn. For example, teams from Pot 2 will be placed in position 2 of each group, teams from Pot 3 in position 3 of each group and so on.

    Teams drawn from each pot will be allocated to groups sequentially: A to F. The first team drawn will be placed in Group A, the next team drawn will be placed in Group B and so un until Group F.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.