Verratti pens new five-year PSG contract

By Sports Desk October 30, 2019

Marco Verratti has committed himself to Paris Saint-Germain until 2024, the Ligue 1 champions have confirmed.

Verratti joined PSG from Italian club Pescara in 2012 and has been a fixture in the side ever since, despite suffering numerous injuries over that period.

A technical and hard-working midfielder, the 26-year-old has frequently been a reported target for Barcelona.

But he is in it for the long-haul at PSG, with his new contract set to keep him in the French capital until he is 31.

As such, Verratti feels he is committing the prime years of his career to PSG as he continues to live a childhood dream.

"I think I'm coming to the most important moment of my career," he told his club's official website.

"I think at 27, you know a lot more things, you have more experience and I think it's the age to do things right. That's why I'm really happy to be able to continue here in Paris.

"As I said from the first day, I feel really good here. I feel like I play for a team that has a very big project.

"For me, it's the main thing because I want to try to win as much as possible, and here we have this opportunity because we have a great team, we have a great coach. We can do great things together.

"I am someone who gets attached very quickly. I think PSG has given me a lot. I live the dream I had as a child, the one to play big matches with big players, against big opponents."

The Italy international has started eight of PSG's 11 Ligue 1 matches this term and will likely be key for the remainder of the campaign as Thomas Tuchel's men look to win the club's seventh league title in the past eight seasons.

Related items

  • Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player Roma handed 3-0 loss for fielding ineligible player

    Roma have been punished with a 3-0 defeat for fielding an ineligible player against Hellas Verona in their Serie A opener on Saturday.

    Lega Serie A announced on Tuesday that Roma used a player over the age of 22 who had not been registered on their 25-man list with the league.

    According to widespread reports, the administrative error relates to Amadou Diawara, who turned 23 in July.

    The game at the Marc'Antonio Bentegodi finished goalless but Roma will return to zero points for the season following their sanction.

    Verona head coach Ivan Juric was fined €5,000 for giving his team instructions from the stands while serving a touchline ban.

  • Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus Atletico Madrid defender Gimenez tests positive for coronavirus

    Jose Gimenez has tested positive for coronavirus, Atletico Madrid have confirmed.

    The Uruguay defender was the only player from Monday's tests to return a positive result, the club said in a statement on Tuesday.

    Gimenez is now isolating at home, with Atletico confirming LaLiga's protocol has been implemented and the players will complete the next training session individually.

    Head coach Diego Simeone also tested positive for the virus earlier this month and underwent a period of isolation, though he did not display any symptoms.

    Atletico are due to start their new season at home to Granada at the Wanda Metropolitano on Sunday.

    Simeone's men finished third in a disrupted 2019-20 campaign, while they were knocked out of the Champions League at the quarter-finals stage by RB Leipzig.

  • Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives Leyton Orient v Tottenham off: Spurs could get EFL Cup bye after hosts' coronavirus positives

    Tottenham could be given a bye to the EFL Cup fourth round after opponents Leyton Orient announced a spate of positive coronavirus tests, leading to Tuesday's clash being called off.

    Orient were set to welcome Jose Mourinho's men to Brisbane Road for a third-round tie, but the League Two club confirmed on Monday that "a number of our first-team squad have tested positive for COVID-19".

    The club's stadium and training ground have been closed until further notice, with reports that up 18 players and staff had been infected.

    Confirmation the game would not go ahead on the scheduled date came just two hours before the intended kick-off time of 1800 (local time).

    "Tonight's Carabao Cup match between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur is not taking place this evening as scheduled," read an EFL statement.

    "Discussions are ongoing between the relevant stakeholders in regards to the implications of the decision not to play tonight's game and a further update will be provided in due course. 

    "Leyton Orient, the EFL and the relevant authorities are conducting a thorough review of the club’s COVID-19 secure procedures with the view to reopening the stadium and training ground as soon as possible."

    It is a bitter blow for Orient, who were set to earn a windfall from the game being televised, with Ross Embleton's men having beaten Forest Green Rovers and Plymouth Argyle to reach round three.

    The news also dims any prospect of a return to Orient for former loanee Harry Kane, the Spurs and England striker who struck a deal to sponsor the club's home shirts this season.

    The fixture would also have been significant for the fact that Justin Edinburgh played for Spurs and was in charge at Orient when he passed away in June last year following a cardiac arrest.

    Spurs are now afford an added rest ahead of Thursday's Europa League qualifying match against Shkendija in Macedonia.

    Sunday's 5-2 win at Southampton came after Gareth Bale's loan signing was confirmed, providing a much-needed boost to a side who started the season with a 1-0 home loss to Everton.

    The EFL Cup is the last piece of silverware Spurs got their hands on, lifting the trophy back in 2007-08, when Jonathan Woodgate was the unlikely match-winner in a 2-1 victory over Chelsea at Wembley.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.