Ajax defender Dest pledges allegiance to United States over Netherlands

By Sports Desk October 28, 2019

Ajax full-back Sergino Dest has committed his international future to the United States over the Netherlands.

The 18-year-old was born and raised in the Dutch city of Almere but has represented USA from Under-17s level up.

He earned his first two senior caps for USA in a pair of friendlies in September but was not included in their squad for CONCACAF Nations League games against Cuba and Canada earlier this month.

Dest explained at the start of October that he needed time to consider whether to switch allegiance to his native Netherlands or continue representing USA, whom he qualifies for through his Surinamese-American father.

In an interview with Ajax's official website on Monday, Dest confirmed he will stick with USA going forward, ending the tug-of-war for his services.

"I have chosen to play for Team USA going forward," he said. "I have based this decision on my feeling; however, it was a tough one.

"Of course, it was a tough decision for me when the Dutch Men's National Team showed their interest, but I have built up a very good feeling with team USA over the last couple of years and I strongly believe in the plans and potential of U.S. Soccer.

"I am therefore dedicated to making the next 10-15 years a big success and will do my utmost to help the team play for titles."

Dest, who has featured 16 times for Ajax in all competitions this season, revealed he has already discussed his decision with Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman.

"I have personally informed the national team coach Ronald Koeman because I respect him greatly and didn't want him to learn from the press," he said.

"He told me he was disappointed. However, he respected my choice, as in the end it's my life and I have to live with the choices I make, good or bad."

The first opportunity for Dest to officially be tied to USA will come next month when Gregg Berhalter's side face Canada in a must-win CONCACAF Nations League group-stage match.

Related items

  • Lautaro Martinez 'very happy' at Inter amid Barca links – agent Lautaro Martinez 'very happy' at Inter amid Barca links – agent

    Lautaro Martinez is "very happy" at Inter amid links to LaLiga giants Barcelona, according to his agent Beto Yaque.

    Martinez has been tipped to leave Inter for Barca at the end of the season, though the Italian side have regularly insisted they have no plans to sell the star forward.

    The 22-year-old's €111million (£98.8m) release clause expired in July and Yaque played down the prospect of a transfer from San Siro to Camp Nou.

    "Lautaro's transfer is more in the media than real life," Yaque told La Figura de la Cancha.

    "Lautaro has three years on his contract with Inter and is very happy where he is.

    "He's had a very good season, still has the Europa League to play for and I hope Inter can go all the way in that competition."

    Yaque added: "I've never needed to give him advice and I don't need to now either. He's always been a complete player and has matured over the years."

    Martinez scored 14 Serie A goals as Antonio Conte's Inter finished second and a point behind champions Juventus in 2019-20.

    The Argentina international has managed 19 goals across all competitions ahead of Inter's Europa League quarter-final against Bayer Leverkusen on Monday.

  • Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann Real Madrid was not the right step - Nagelsmann

    Julian Nagelsmann has revealed he turned down an offer from Real Madrid as it was not the right step for his career.

    Then at Hoffenheim, Nagelsmann was on a shortlist of candidates to replace Zinedine Zidane at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2018, but Julen Lopetegui was eventually appointed to the post. 

    Lopetegui's tenure ended in October that year, however, while Santiago Solari also having a brief spell in charge before Zidane returned in March 2019.

    Nagelsmann, meanwhile, opted to join RB Leipzig, taking charge in 2019 and guiding the side to a third-placed finish in the Bundesliga. The 33-year-old has confirmed he decided against joining Madrid, as he thought he was not yet ready to take on a job of such magnitude. 

    "We had phone calls, but in the end the one who decided was me," Nagelsmann told Marca ahead of Leipzig's Champions League quarter-final with Atletico Madrid.  

    "I believed that it was still not the right step to go to Real Madrid. I was one of the candidates and the list was not very long.  

    "For me, it was very important. I had a good chat with [Madrid general director] Jose Angel Sanchez and we decided that it was still not the right step.  

    "We agreed that we could talk again in the future if Real Madrid needed a coach, and if I was available." 

    Nagelsmann added that Leipzig provided the ideal platform for him to develop as a coach. 

    "I wanted the next step to be logical. I try to plan a career in football, even if it is difficult," he said. 

    "I'm a young boy, I don't have to go to the top shelf right away either. I give myself time to develop. Leipzig went to great lengths to sign me. That was the most important thing. 

    "Relatively fast I had an offer on the table. We had good conversations and I saw that it was a good next step. A bigger club, with a bigger budget than Hoffenheim, which would allow me to continue developing.  

    "They have also given me a free hand to introduce my ideas. I do not have to permanently justify what I do, but I have the possibility to evolve and transfer my ideas to the field of play.  

    "It was a good next step in my career to prepare myself and in the future, maybe."

  • Gomes signs five-year deal with Lille, loaned to Boavista Gomes signs five-year deal with Lille, loaned to Boavista

    Lille have confirmed the signing of former Manchester United midfielder Angel Gomes, who will spend the 2020-21 season on loan at Boavista.

    The talented 19-year-old opted to move elsewhere rather than continue his career at United, having come through the academy system at the Premier League club.

    Gomes made his first-team debut back in May 2017 but has found first-team opportunities limited; his only three starts in the 2019-20 campaign all came in the Europa League.

    While United were keen to sign the England youth international to a new deal, he instead allowed his contract to run down.

    In an Instagram post in midweek, Gomes wrote a farewell message thanking all those at the club who had helped him through the years.

    "Sadly the time has come to end a beautiful chapter that has been my life for 14 years," he wrote, before adding the time had come to make the "next step" in his career.

    Gomes has signed a five-year contract with Lille, though he will have to wait to make his debut for the Ligue 1 side.

    Instead, the teenager is set for a year with Boavista, who finished 12th in the Portuguese top flight.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.