Bayern Munich confirm ankle ligament damage for Lucas Hernandez

By Sports Desk October 23, 2019

Bayern Munich have confirmed Lucas Hernandez suffered ligament damage when he injured his ankle in the 3-2 Champions League win over Olympiacos.

Hernandez was forced from the field before the hour mark in Greece in a fresh blow to Bayern's thinning defensive stocks.

The left-sided France international faces "several weeks" out, sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said on Tuesday, although the club have not confirmed an exact timescale.

The latest in a series of injury problems for 23-year-old Hernandez comes less than a week after first-choice centre-back Niklas Sule underwent surgery on a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"[Hernandez] suffered a partial rupture of the inner ligament on the right ankle," Bayern announced.

"This resulted from an investigation by the medical department to club doctor Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt."

Hernandez had only recently returned from a knee injury that saw him become the subject of a club-versus-country row when he was called up to France's squad for the Euro 2020 qualifying double-header against Iceland and Turkey despite Bayern's wishes for him to recover at the club.

There was better news for Bayern in regards to Javi Martinez and Serge Gnabry, though.

Spain midfielder Martinez was taken off at half-time against Olympiacos but Bayern said he "only suffered neurogenic muscle hardening".

Gnabry took a knock to the knee in the fixture, but both are to take part in reduced training in the next few days.

Related items

  • Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent

    Juventus must talk to Chelsea if they want to sign Jorginho, according to the Italy star's agent Joao Santos.

    Serie A champions Juve are reportedly interested in reuniting head coach Maurizio Sarri with Jorginho in Turin – the pair having worked together at Chelsea and Napoli.

    Jorginho has emerged as a possible replacement for Miralem Pjanic, who has been linked to LaLiga champions Barcelona and Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain.

    The latest rumours, however, claim Jorginho and Juve's Federico Bernardeschi could be involved in a swap deal.

    Santos, though, denied Juve have made contact regarding Chelsea midfielder Jorginho.

    "I only hear about these rumours from the newspapers, because nobody from Juventus has contacted me," Santos told TuttoJuve.com.

    "Maurizio Sarri appreciates him very much as a person and a player, they worked very well together, but that's all there is to it right now. The player is focused only on Chelsea, he's resumed training and is preparing for the Premier League restart.

    "In my view, it would be difficult for the Bianconeri to buy him today, because the transfer market has changed with the pandemic and Jorginho has a contract with Chelsea until 2023. He is the vice-captain and considered an important player for the squad.

    "I don't just mean Juventus, but all the biggest European clubs would struggle to pay that much for one player right now."

    Santos added: "If it should happen [a proposal from Juve], I say that anyone who wants Jorginho has to talk to Chelsea and Marina [Granovskaia]. Then we will evaluate together what to do. That would not be a problem."

  • Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest

    Olivier Giroud admitted he "very nearly" left Chelsea during the January transfer window before extending his contract with the Premier League club.

    Giroud was linked with Serie A sides Inter and Lazio, but last month extended his deal through until the end of next season.

    The 33-year-old striker said he was close to leaving Stamford Bridge before receiving assurances from head coach Frank Lampard.

    "I was supposed to leave in the January transfer window because I wasn't playing much and I needed more game time to make the France squad for Euro 2020," Giroud told the club's website.

    "I very nearly left the club but I really think that God wanted me to stay at Chelsea.

    "The manager told me that he couldn't let me leave because he didn't have anyone to replace me. Everyone knows what happened so I won't go back over it but the coach spoke to me privately and told me that he'd give more games.

    "He kept his word and what then mattered to me was proving to him that he could count on me when I was called upon."

    Giroud arrived at Chelsea from Arsenal in 2018 and has already helped the club win the Europa League and FA Cup.

    The France international is eager to win more silverware with Chelsea, while saying he was happy in London.

    "I want to keep winning trophies and I want to continue to show the manager that he can count on me," Giroud said.

    "Plus, with the whole coronavirus lockdown situation, I didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of moving abroad and uprooting my family. I think a lot about our quality of life and we have a great setup here. I think a lot about my family now."

  • Mina blow for Everton boss Ancelotti Mina blow for Everton boss Ancelotti

    Everton boss Carlo Ancelotti has suffered a blow to his plans for the return of the Premier League after former Barcelona defender Yerry Mina suffered a quad muscle injury.

    Mina has been a regular at centre-back this season, appearing in 25 of Everton's 29 top-flight games and scoring twice.

    However, there appears little prospect of him being available when the league resumes later this month.

    His club stated on their website: "Everton Football Club can confirm Yerry Mina is set to be sidelined for several weeks after sustaining a muscle injury.

    "A scan confirmed the Colombia international suffered a partial tear in his left quad muscle during training last week.

    "The 25-year-old is now in the early stages of his rehabilitation under the care of the club's medical staff and making good progress."

    Mina was an eye-catching €30million signing from Barcelona in August 2018, just weeks after scoring three goals for his country in the World Cup.

    The 2019-20 Premier League season is due to return from a three-month coronavirus suspension when two games are played on Wednesday, June 17, followed by a full programme of weekend fixtures.

    Everton sat 12th in the Premier League when the season was halted, six points behind sixth-placed Wolves.

    News of Mina's injury comes after last week's setback to Everton, that saw midfielder Jean-Philippe Gbamin suffer a severe Achilles injury in training that will keep him out for the rest of the season.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.