LaLiga threatens legal action over new December 18 Clasico date

By Sports Desk October 23, 2019

LaLiga has confirmed it is considering legal action in response to the selection of December 18 as the new date for the postponed Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid.

The announcement comes in the immediate aftermath of the Royal Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) acceptance of the date proposed by bitter rivals Barca and Madrid, which the Competition Committee approved on Wednesday.

Civil unrest in Catalonia forced the first Clasico of the 2019-20 season, which was originally set to take place on October 26, to be postponed.

The clubs at the centre of Spanish football's showpiece fixture reached a quick consensus on a new date but LaLiga, responsible for administering the top two divisions, opposes December 18 as it falls in midweek.

President Javier Tebas is said to favour December 7, a Saturday, in line with the original plan for the game and LaLiga has now reaffirmed its resistance to the selected date.

A statement read: "LaLiga does not share the resolution of the Competition Committee to set December 18 - following the agreement reached by Barcelona and Real Madrid, despite LaLiga's refusal - as the date of the previously postponed Clasico.

"It is studying the documentation recently received from the file referring to this procedure to assess the possible legal actions to be taken against the corresponding institutions and before the public bodies or jurisdictional bodies that it deems appropriate."

LaLiga further questioned the "briefness of the resolution" and referred to a "lack of reference to legal norms" as potential grounds for legal action.

Earlier, RFEF said LaLiga had made numerous submissions to the rescheduling process that were deemed to be "not binding".

"At its meeting today, the Committee has also analysed the latest pleas of the clubs, who stood by their initial proposal to play the game on December 18," RFEF added.

The match was postponed last week as violent scenes broke out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

Related items

  • Neymar set for PSG comeback as illness hits Mbappe Neymar set for PSG comeback as illness hits Mbappe

    Neymar is ready to return to action for Paris Saint-Germain against Lille on Saturday, but the Ligue 1 champions could be without Kylian Mbappe.

    The Brazil superstar has not featured for his club since sustaining a hamstring injury during the October international break, continuing a tale of fitness woe that has stained his time at the Parc des Princes.

    Speaking at a pre-match news conference, head coach Thomas Tuchel confirmed Neymar would be available for a mouth-watering week of fixtures, with trips to Real Madrid and Monaco coming after Lille's visit to the French capital.

    "Neymar feels good," Tuchel said. "He has trained well and will be in the group for tomorrow's match, but he will not be able to play 90 minutes.

    "He will bring us quality and decisive things. When he is with us, we are super dangerous. That is necessary if we want to continue to win

    "Lille, Real Madrid and Monaco represent three challenging games for us."

    Mbappe has often stepped up in Neymar's absence, but the France forward has been laid low by illness having already suffered hamstring, thigh and groin setbacks this term.

    "He had a fever, he has to start training today, we have to wait," said Tuchel, who will be without midfield duo Marco Verratti (knee) and Ander Herrera (thigh).

    Neymar's rehabilitation took in a trip to watch the Davis Cup in Madrid this week, something which neither delighted nor angered his boss.

    "What can I do? I'm not his father, nor the police. I am just his coach," Tuchel added.

    "He trained well. Did I enjoy his trip to Madrid? No. But he was very professional during those two weeks.

    "He did more than others, working with the group and also individually. If all goes well, he can play [against Lille]. Tomorrow we will decide".

  • Mourinho not my friend or my enemy, says old foe Pellegrini Mourinho not my friend or my enemy, says old foe Pellegrini

    Manuel Pellegrini would not deem Jose Mourinho his enemy or his friend as the long-time rivals prepare for a Premier League reunion on Saturday.

    Pellegrini's struggling West Ham welcome Tottenham and their freshly installed head coach Mourinho to London Stadium this weekend, reprising a rivalry that has simmered for a decade.

    Mourinho was publicly courted by Real Madrid before being appointed at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2010, replacing Pellegrini despite the sacked Chilean having led Los Blancos to a then club-record haul of 96 points as they finished runners up to Barcelona in LaLiga.

    Pellegrini resumed his career at Malaga, with Mourinho pointedly observing, "If [Madrid] get rid of me, I will go to a big club in the Premier League or Serie A."

    Indeed, both ended up at big Premier League clubs, with Pellegrini winning the title in 2013-14 at Manchester City before Mourinho's Chelsea succeeded them as champions the following season.

    Mourinho repeated a wilful mispronunciation of "Mr Pellegrino" when referring to his opposite number, who claimed Chelsea played "like a small team, like Stoke" during a 1-1 draw at the Etihad Stadium in September 2014.

    Pellegrini has won four and drawn three of the pair's 14 meetings, prevailing in their most recent encounter when West Ham beat an embattled version of Mourinho's Manchester United 3-1.

    "Maybe I can think a different way, but he is not my enemy," Pellegrini told a pre-match news conference on Thursday.

    "Everyone has their options to play football in the way they want and say what they want to say. You cannot always be criticising.

    "That's why he is not my friend, but he is not my enemy. We have different ways of thinking about [everything], that's the only difference that we have.

    "Maybe [I will have a drink with him]. We have been together a lot of times out of football together. I repeat, he is not my enemy."

    Pellegrini expressed sympathy for Mauricio Pochettino, whose sacking kicked off a whirlwind 11 hours at Tottenham that concluded with Mourinho's appointment.

    "Tottenham have a very good team with important players. Being outside of Tottenham, you cannot know what has happened there, but the results were not what Tottenham are used to having," he said.

    "Now they have a new manager, unfortunately for Pochettino, because I think he was a manager who did very good work in a lot of years in Tottenham.

    "I do not know the reason why he was sacked but now they have another experienced manager in Jose Mourinho, who will always give important things to his teams.

    "[Mourinho] is just in charge of the team for two days so I don't think he can change too much. They will play in a similar way.

    "That is not an important problem for us to solve, we must give a good performance as a team."

    Of more pressing concern to Pellegrini is a run of two points from West Ham's past six Premier League matches since beating Mourinho's former employers from Old Trafford in September.

    It leaves the Hammers languishing in 16th, a point and two places below Tottenham.

    "I have had 33 years in this profession, I know football," Pellegrini added. "As I have said, my pressure I put on myself is bigger than any other pressure."

    West Ham's midfield could be bolstered by Jack Wilshere and club captain Mark Noble, who trained untroubled this week following respective groin and ankle complaints.

    Forward Michail Antonio might also be in contention after almost three months out with a hamstring injury.

  • Diego Costa set for up to three months out after neck operation Diego Costa set for up to three months out after neck operation

    Atletico Madrid striker Diego Costa is set for a spell on the sidelines after undergoing neck surgery.

    In a statement issued on their official website, Atleti confirmed Costa had an operation on his herniated cervical disc on Thursday.

    The procedure was successful but normally requires a recovery time of two to three months.

    Speaking earlier this week, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo insisted there were no plans to sign a January replacement for Costa in the event of surgery.

    "No, because we already tried to sign [a striker] at the beginning of the season and you know that you have to sell someone to be able to buy someone," he told AS, citing his club's salary limit.

    "So, I don't know. In principle, no. We have a fantastic team and fantastic strikers who score many goals."

    Record signing Joao Felix is in line to boost Diego Simeone's attack by returning from a sprained ankle when Atletico visit Granada in LaLiga on Saturday.

    Like Costa, the Portugal forward has only two top-flight goals to his name this term. Alvaro Morata leads the way with five for a team that have 15 goals in 13 LaLiga outings so far

    Atleti are third in the table, a point behind Barcelona and Real Madrid having played a game more.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.