Reus to miss Inter v Dortmund Champions League clash

By Sports Desk October 22, 2019

Marco Reus will miss Borussia Dortmund's Champions League trip to Inter due to illness.

Dortmund captain Reus completed 90 minutes despite feeling unwell on Saturday, scoring a 58th-minute winner against Bundesliga leaders Borussia Monchengladbach.

But those exertions appear to have taken a toll after BVB announced the 30-year-old Germany forward will not travel to Milan for Wednesday's match.

Striker Paco Alcacer (calf) and left-back Marcel Schmelzer (hip) are also absentees.

Being without Reus and Alcacer means head coach Lucien Favre is even more likely to recall Jadon Sancho after the England winger was dropped for the Gladbach game following a late return from international duty.

Dortmund are top of Group F after two matches, leading Barcelona on goal difference and three points better off than Antonio Conte's Inter.

Related items

  • Man Utd star Wan-Bissaka says Zaha tests braced him for Premier League life Man Utd star Wan-Bissaka says Zaha tests braced him for Premier League life

    Manchester United rising star Aaron Wan-Bissaka says it was an eye-opener when he first faced Wilfried Zaha in training – as the pair prepare to do battle in the Premier League.

    Former Crystal Palace team-mates Wan-Bissaka and Zaha are set to be on rival sides on Thursday when United travel to Selhurst Park.

    And that means full-back Wan-Bissaka will be charged with stopping the Palace winger's mazy runs, which as he once discovered on the practice pitch is no easy task.

    Wan-Bissaka was converted from a striker to a defender while a youngster with Palace, a gradual process that included a spell on the wing.

    "Then it started from a training session when someone had to fill in at right-back," Wan-Bissaka told United's official website.

    "Training against Wilf, I think he sort of prepared me for what it is like playing in the Premier League.

    "I learned a lot from him. He's an unpredictable player and tests like that are ones that made me a better player."

    Zaha has terrified defences in Palace colours, but a stint at United did not work out earlier in his career and he soon rejoined the Eagles.

    For Wan-Bissaka, the long-term prospects look bright with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's team, but the 22-year-old will always look back fondly on his time with Palace, who stunned United 2-1 at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

    He predicted it would feel strange to return to Selhurst Park, particularly given a near-empty stadium awaited, but added: "Palace mean a lot to me.

    "They are the team that brought me through the system and, without them, I don't think I'd be here. They've given me chances to show what I am capable of doing."

  • Milinkovic-Savic perfectly suited to Premier League as Ninkovic hails Chelsea and PSG target Milinkovic-Savic perfectly suited to Premier League as Ninkovic hails Chelsea and PSG target

    Milos Ninkovic believes Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is perfectly suited to the Premier League as he compared the in-demand Lazio star to Paul Pogba.

    Milinkovic-Savic has long been linked with a Lazio exit following his exploits for the Serie A side, where he arrived from Genk in 2015.

    Chelsea, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Juventus and Inter have all emerged as reported suitors for the Serbia international midfielder.

    As speculation grows over Milinkovic-Savic's future in the Italian capital, former Serbia international Ninkovic feels it is time for the 25-year-old to leave Lazio.

    "He is an unbelievable talent," Ninkovic, who now plays for Sydney FC in Australia, told Stats Perform News. "Probably one of the best midfielders in Italy. He reminds me of [United star] Pogba, he is that type of player because he is good on the ball, tall, strong, can score outside of the box and he is good in the air.

    "For him, the most important thing is to be happy. If he is happy at Lazio, he should stay there. But if he wants a different challenge, than he definitely needs to leave. They talk about PSG, Man Utd… but it depends on how he feels.

    "I think if he makes the right choice, he will be one of the best midfielders in the world.

    "Personally, I think he needs a new challenge in his career because he's spent three or four years at Lazio. It's hard when that's the first time in the last years they're fighting for the Scudetto and probably next season it will be the same or fourth or fifth. For him it would be better if he can go somewhere else to play Champions League as well.

    "Of course it also depends on his president and how much he wants. Especially now after coronavirus, everything won't be like before in terms of transfer fees and salaries."

    Milinkovic-Savic has scored five goals and supplied four assists in Serie A this season and Ninkovic, 35, added: "I think England is perfect for him. Even France, when you have good players around you it's much easier to play.

    "If he goes to Manchester United, Real Madrid or PSG, there's not much of a difference because they're all good players there. It will be even much easier for him, I think he will score more goals and supply more assists."

    Another Serbian player in the headlines recently has been United midfielder Nemanja Matic following his form for the Red Devils.

    Out of favour and looking set for a move away from Old Trafford at the start of the season, Matic has forced his way back into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's plans and signed a new three-year contract.

    Ninkovic played alongside Matic for Serbia and he hailed his 31-year-old compatriot, saying: "I spoke with him maybe a month ago. Obviously he didn't know anything and he said he would like to stay. I'm very happy for him because he is an unbelievable player and a very nice guy which is the most important thing.

    "But I thought maybe there was a chance if he didn't re-sign that he could come to Australia. Maybe we will have to wait two or three more years. Maybe now it's easier for him because they started to play with one six and two eights or 10s, which is much better for him. We used to play that formation in the national team and he was unbelievable.

    "You need to be strong mentally, especially at Manchester United with so many great players."

    United, who sat fifth in the Premier League ahead of Thursday's trip to Crystal Palace, have strung together an 18-game unbeaten streak across all competitions, with Matic, Pogba and Bruno Fernandes earning plaudits.

    Ninkovic believes the Red Devils now boast a better midfield than champions Liverpool and can challenge for the title next season.

    "I think they needed some player like Fernandes and now they have Pogba, Fernandes and Matic in the middle," Ninkovic said. "I think they have one of the best midfields in the Premier League – maybe Manchester City [have the best]. I would say a better midfield than Liverpool.

    "Probably they will try to sign one or two more players and definitely they will fight for the title."

  • Rumour Has It: PSG want Dembele from Barcelona in Neymar deal, Pogba close to new contract Rumour Has It: PSG want Dembele from Barcelona in Neymar deal, Pogba close to new contract

    Paris Saint-Germain have reportedly told Barcelona what they want for Neymar, while Paul Pogba is set for a Manchester United stay.

    Neymar continues to be linked with a return to the LaLiga giants, three years after leaving for PSG in a world-record €222million move.

    It seems Barcelona know what PSG want for the attacker.

     

    TOP STORY – PSG WANT €80M AND DEMBELE FOR NEYMAR

    PSG want €80m and Ousmane Dembele from Barcelona in exchange for Neymar, according to El Chiringuito.

    Dembele has struggled with injuries since arriving at Barcelona from Borussia Dortmund in 2017.

    Like Neymar, the France international has regularly been linked with a move.

    ROUND-UP

    - Happy again amid Manchester United's resurgence, Pogba may be ready to extend his stay. The Sun reports the midfielder is close to agreeing to a five-year deal with the Premier League giants.

    - Staying in Manchester and City are eyeing Inter star Lautaro Martinez as a long-term replacement for Sergio Aguero, according to Sky Sports. Martinez has been heavily linked with a move to Barcelona.

    - After having their European ban overturned, Manchester City are reportedly ready to spend. The Mirror reports City have been quoted a cut-price £65million (€71.6m) price for Napoli star Kalidou Koulibaly, who has been linked to Liverpool, Manchester United and Chelsea among others.

    - Manchester United are fighting to qualify for the Champions League late in the season. According to Sport Bild, Borussia Dortmund are expecting a £108.9m (€120m) bid from United for Jadon Sancho if they qualify for the Champions League.

    - Staying with Borussia Dortmund, the Bundesliga club will pay €25m (£22.7m) for Birmingham City teenager Jude Bellingham, according to Sport Bild.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.