La Liga: Pellegrino and Leganes part ways

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

La Liga side Leganes has parted company with Mauricio Pellegrino following a 2-0 loss to Getafe, which continued a winless start to the season.

Los Pepineros have collected just two points from their opening nine games and are currently seven points adrift of 17th-placed Celta Vigo in the league.

The former Southampton, Alaves and Valencia manager was appointed at the start of last season and guided Leganes to survival and a respectable 13th in La Liga.

But results took a turn for the worse at the beginning of this campaign and the club issued a statement on Monday on the Argentine’s future.

"Leganes and Mauricio Pellegrino have decided mutually to go their separate ways," the statement read.

 "The Argentine coach, who last year led the team to secure its status in the top flight, will not be in charge of the team for next week's game against Mallorca.

"Reserve team coach Luis Cembranos and his assistant Carlos Martinez will take charge of the team for the next few training sessions."

Related items

  • Giannis picks Real Madrid over Barcelona Giannis picks Real Madrid over Barcelona

    Milwaukee Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo picked Real Madrid over Barcelona when presented with an offer ahead of the NBA All-Star Game.

    Antetokounmpo will lead Team Giannis against Team LeBron in Chicago on Sunday.

    But the reigning NBA MVP faced a different test on Saturday, when he was offered Barcelona and Real Madrid shirts.

    "We've got Real Madrid, who's the player though?" Antetokounmpo said, assessing his options.

    "I love both of these players, [Lionel] Messi or [Cristiano] Ronaldo, who used to play with Real.

    "But I'll probably go with Real. There you go, Real."

    Madrid can restore their three-point lead atop LaLiga when they host Celta Vigo on Sunday.

  • Setien unimpressed with officiating in Barca's win over Getafe Setien unimpressed with officiating in Barca's win over Getafe

    Quique Setien was unimpressed with Getafe's physical approach and referee Guillermo Cuadra Fernandez after Barcelona's 2-1 LaLiga win over Getafe.

    Barca moved level on points with leaders Real Madrid, who face Celta Vigo in their game in hand on Sunday, courtesy of first-half goals from Antoine Griezmann and Sergi Roberto at Camp Nou on Saturday.

    The Barca-linked Angel Rodriguez gave Getafe hope when he pulled one back in the second half, but the reigning LaLiga champions were not to be denied all three points.

    Head coach Setien felt referee Cuadra Fernandez should have come down harder on what he deemed to be spoiling tactics from Getafe.

    Asked what he was saying to the fourth official, Setien said: "I was complaining because many times you risk going out from the back and when you are fouled you have to start over.

    "That hurts the pace of the game. I think they have made 30 fouls against 12, and we had one more [yellow] card.

    "I think the referee had to be more severe. Sometimes you have no luck."

    Setien was not interested in discussing why he did not shake hands with his opposite number Jose Bordalas.

    "I want to talk about what happened on the pitch, that is where football is played." he said.

    "We were nervous at the start, and Getafe made it very difficult for us with their press."

  • Barcelona and Olympic Games social media hacked Barcelona and Olympic Games social media hacked

    Hackers targeted LaLiga giants Barcelona and the Olympic Games movement on Saturday as their Twitter accounts were attacked.

    The OurMine group posted messages on multiple accounts belonging to Barcelona and the International Olympic Committee.

    Barcelona have accounts in several languages and relating to various aspects of the club, including their La Masia youth academy, and all appeared to have been hacked.

    The hacking incident came soon after Barca beat Getafe to join Real Madrid on 52 points at the top of LaLiga.

    Each account sent out the message: "Hi, we are OurMine. Well, this is the second time, the security level is better but still not the best to improve your accounts security."

    The OurMine group previously hacked Barcelona's Twitter in 2017, falsely claiming the club would be signing Angel Di Maria from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Barcelona acknowledged the latest cybersecurity breach after taking back control of their accounts, posting: "FC Barcelona's Twitter accounts have been hacked, which is why messages from outside our club have appeared, and which have been reported and deleted. The tweets were made through a third-party tool for data analytics.

    "FC Barcelona will conduct a cybersecurity audit and will review all protocols and links with third party tools, in order to avoid such incidents and to guarantee the best service to our members and fans. We apologise for any inconvenience this situation may have caused."

    The Olympic Games accounts were similarly attacked.

    Messages from OurMine were posted across its official accounts, including those for the Olympics, Athlete365 and IOC Media, before being deleted.

    The hacker group has previously targeted such organisations as WikiLeaks, Real Madrid, the NFL and its teams, Facebook, Instagram and the New York Times.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.