EPL

Emery rues 'key chance' squandered by Pepe

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Unai Emery claimed Nicolas Pepe’s miss from six yards was a key moment as Arsenal’s run of eight games unbeaten in all competitions came to an end at Sheffield United.

Lys Mousset’s goal at Bramall Lane gave the Blades a 1-0 win as Arsenal’s poor run against the Blades continued, having never won against them in four Premier League attempts.

Pepe has endured a frustrating start to his career in England having moved from Lille for £72million in the summer with the forward yet to score from open play for the Gunners.  

The defeat means Arsenal miss an opportunity to go third in the league and Emery believes Pepe’s miss is part of a process with improvement and gaining confidence.

"The chance for us, for Pepe, was the key," he told reporters.

"Because if they score the first goal, defensively they’re very strong.

"Pepe is improving I think, but his way with us is little-by-little getting better, and the next step is to score.

"Tonight for example, the best chance is one he is usually going to score, but he didn’t take it with efficiency. He is improving and taking confidence, but it is one process."

Related items

  • 'Let's go for more!' - Maradona signs new deal at Gimnasia 'Let's go for more!' - Maradona signs new deal at Gimnasia

    Diego Maradona has set aside speculation surrounding his future and signed a new one-year contract at Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata.

    The Argentina great was appointed as Gimnasia's head coach in September, although he briefly departed in November and returned two days later.

    Maradona was out of contract at the end of the season and the prospect of his return to the Primera Division club appeared remote, as the two parties reportedly failed to come to an agreement on a deal at the start of the week.

    However, Gimnasia, celebrating their 133rd birthday on Wednesday, confirmed news of his renewal until 2021.

    The club posted on Twitter: "You are known as Pelusa, Barrilete Cosmico, God, Diego, Diegote, capitan...

    "But for us, you are one more Tripero and your heart is already as blue and white as ours."

    Maradona had earlier hinted at an agreement as he congratulated Gimnasia on their anniversary on his Instagram page.

    "Today is El Lobo's birthday," he wrote. "Congratulations to @Gimnasia_Oficial and a hug to your WONDERFUL fans!!!

    "My heart is blue and white. Let's go for more!!!"

    The Primera Division season was ended prematurely in April due to the coronavirus pandemic, with relegation suspended for two years.

    Gimnasia were 19th in the 24-team division when the campaign was brought to a close.

  • Coronavirus: MLS players finalise return plan amid Orlando tournament reports Coronavirus: MLS players finalise return plan amid Orlando tournament reports

    MLS players have finalised a plan to return to playing this season amid reports the 2020 campaign will become a tournament in Orlando.

    The latest MLS season, which began in February, was halted after just two weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The regular season had been scheduled to run until October, but much of the calendar has been wiped out by the suspension amid the global crisis.

    However, the Major League Soccer Players Association (MLSPA) announced on Wednesday its members had come to an agreement on the remainder of the campaign.

    In a statement announcing a new collective bargaining agreement, to run through 2025, the MLSPA said: "Today's vote also finalises a plan to resume the 2020 season and provides players with certainty for the months ahead.

    "It allows our members to move forward and continue to compete in the game they love."

    It has been reported MLS teams will compete in a televised tournament at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando in early July, replacing the standard season.

    Clubs will reportedly first play a group stage and then knockout rounds, although MLS is yet to confirm the details of the league's resumption.

    Asked last month about a return to the pitch, New England Revolution captain Carles Gil told Stats Perform News: "I don't mind where and when it is, but sooner is better. And especially in the safest way possible.

    "If it has to be in Orlando, let it be in Orlando. And if we can restart the league as it has always been, it is even better. My opinion is to go on, safety granted, the best way possible."

    Meanwhile, apparently referring to the nationwide protests against racism and police brutality following the death of George Floyd, the MLSPA's statement on Wednesday added: "There are problems we face collectively that are both more urgent and more important than competing on the field.

    "We are grieving, we are fed up, we expect change, and we expect action."

  • Trabzonspor handed one-year European ban Trabzonspor handed one-year European ban

    Turkish Super Lig leaders Trabzonspor have been handed a one-season ban from European football for breaching UEFA Financial Fair Play regulations.

    UEFA said in a statement on Wednesday that the club had failed to meet the conditions of a 2016 settlement agreement which required them to be "break-even compliant".

    The governing body confirmed the ban would be applied if the club qualified for the Champions League or Europa League in either of the next two seasons.

    Trabzonspor, who have not played since mid-March due to the coronavirus pandemic, are level on points with Istanbul Basaksehir at the Super Lig summit with eight games remaining.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.