RFEF postpones decision on new date for El Clasico

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has been unable to make a final decision on a new date for the postponed Clasico clash originally set for October 26 due to new input from LaLiga.

RFEF confirmed the postponement of the match last Friday following political unrest in Catalonia.

Violent scenes have broken out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence last Monday.

A rally in Barcelona has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, ultimately resulting in El Clasico's postponement for security reasons.

RFEF left Barca and Madrid to agree a date between themselves and they mutually accepted to reschedule the match for December 18, but that now looks unlikely.

LaLiga is reported to have insisted on the game being played on December 4 and RFEF has passed its comments on to the clubs, who have been given until 20:00CET Tuesday to respond.

RFEF's statement read: "The Competition Committee of the Royal Spanish Football Federation will return to Barcelona and Real Madrid tomorrow [Tuesday] after receiving new statements from the National Professional Football League [LaLiga] on the date of the Clasico [originally] to be played on October 26 and was postponed due to exceptional circumstances.

"The clubs will have a deadline to answer by 20:00 on Tuesday, and the Competition Committee must meet again to assess their responses.

"During the day, the Competition Committee has analysed the proposals of both clubs, which it invited to agree to a day and who have agreed to play the postponed match on December 18.

"It [the Competition Committee] has also analysed the various reports sent by the National Professional Football League during these days.

"In addition, the Committee requested a report from the RFEF Competition Area, which has been sent to them in a timely manner."

Related items

  • Oblak deflects Chelsea talk as Atletico target Leipzig scalp Oblak deflects Chelsea talk as Atletico target Leipzig scalp

    Jan Oblak will only consider his Atletico Madrid future once their Champions League run is over.

    The Slovenian goalkeeper has been touted as a possible target for Chelsea after impressing over six seasons with Atletico.

    Ahead of their clash with RB Leipzig on Thursday, Oblak said all his focus was on that quarter-final as Diego Simeone's side attempt to become champions of Europe for the first time.

    Winning the Europa League two years ago strengthened Atletico's resolve to go on and win the Champions League, the competition in which they were runners-up in 2013-14 and 2015-16.

    "This is not the time for that, now it's Leipzig," he told AS when asked about rumoured Chelsea interest.

    "I reflect on the season when the last game is over and hopefully we have three left. Then there will be time to talk. But first, Leipzig. I really want to get through.

    "All of us who are here [in Lisbon] deserve it, but I hope our moment has come. It's difficult to think beyond this game, you have to beat Leipzig and then look at other things.

    "But I couldn't be happier for me, for the team and for all at Atletico if we win this Champions League."

    Atletico's preparations for the game have been disrupted by the positive COVID-19 tests of two players, forward Angel Correa and defender Sime Vrsaljko.

    Oblak said everyone had been "a bit stressed by the tests", adding it was "a shame" that Correa and Vrsaljko had to stay behind in Madrid.

    "I have not spoken much with them, but I have messaged them and they are fine, they do not have any symptoms or any problems," Oblak said.

    The Atletico keeper may be privately glad that Leipzig will be without Timo Werner, the striker who has moved on to Chelsea.

    But he was not willing to say as much, instead suggesting the Bundesliga outfit can find ways to compensate for the loss of the former attacking spearhead.

    "Leipzig with and without Werner are a slightly different team, but they are neither better nor worse," Oblak said. "They have many options, a lot of quality and this year throughout the season they have shown it in the German league and in the Champions League."

  • Rumour Has It: Man City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago Rumour Has It: Man City, PSG eye Liverpool target Thiago

    Liverpool look set to have some major competition in their bid to sign Thiago Alcantara.

    Out of contract at Bayern Munich next year, Thiago has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League champions.

    However, two big-spending European giants are reportedly joining the race for the midfielder.

     

    TOP STORY – MAN CITY, PSG EYE LIVERPOOL TARGET THIAGO

    Manchester City and PSG are interested in reported Liverpool target Thiago, according to Le 10 Sport.

    Sport Bild says Liverpool are prepared to pay £27.1million (€30m) for the midfielder, an offer which could be enough for Bayern.

    However, it also reports the champions are worried a club like City may trump their bid.

    ROUND-UP

    - While it looks like Jadon Sancho may remain at Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United are not giving up on the star attacker. The Mirror reports the Premier League club have put other moves on hold as they chase Sancho.

    - Staying at Old Trafford and Paul Pogba's future is yet to be sorted. Sky Sports reports the midfielder, who is contracted until 2021 with the club holding an option to extend it for a further year, is expecting talks over a new deal after United's Europa League campaign ends.

    - After crashing out of the Champions League in the last 16, Real Madrid have been expected to strengthen. However, Marca reports Madrid have told players there will be no new signings.

    - With Ismaila Sarr linked to Liverpool, Watford are seemingly holding firm. The Evening Standard reports Watford are demanding £40m for Sarr, who has also been linked to Wolves and Crystal Palace.

    - Arsenal and Roma could be close to a swap deal. Nicolo Schira reports the clubs are in advanced talks about a deal that would send Lucas Torreira to the Serie A club and Amadou Diawara to Arsenal.

  • Sancho: I love playing for Borussia Dortmund Sancho: I love playing for Borussia Dortmund

    Jadon Sancho says he "loves" playing with Borussia Dortmund's current crop of players after his side cruised to a convincing 6-0 friendly win over Rheindorf Altach on Wednesday.

    Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc declared earlier this week that Manchester United target Sancho will remain at the German club for the 2020-21 campaign.

    England international Sancho, 20, is part of BVB's training camp in Switzerland and played 45 minutes against Austrian side Altach in their opening pre-season friendly.

    Lucien Favre fielded plenty of fresh faces at Stadion Schnabelholz and Sancho, into his fourth season at senior level, enjoyed playing with the next generation of young talent. 

    "I love playing with this lot," he told BVB-TV. "It is a special bunch. We've got some special young players coming up. I am really happy to share the pitch with them and guide them.

    "I was once in their shoes, playing with the seniors. I am happy for them."

    Fellow Englishman Jude Bellingham made his first appearance for Dortmund since joining from Birmingham City.

    The €25million signing set up goals for Gio Reyna and Erling Haaland and was pleased with his introduction to life with the German giants.

    "I loved every minute of it. It was a great first few minutes with the guys on the pitch," he said. "I really enjoyed it. The guys are so good, they made it easy for me. 

    "They played very well, even though it was the first game after the break. I am very happy to be part of this team."

    Haaland also registered a penalty while fellow senior pros Thorgan Hazard, Emre Can and Julian Brandt were on target in the final 15 minutes.

    But it was Bellingham who was singled out for special praise by Favre after his impressive debut display.

    "Jude Bellingham was good. He has to play in front of the defence," he said. "It's not easy when you're 17. He was involved in almost all of the goals. 

    "He moved forward at the right moments. This is important. He feels when he has to leave his position and has done well. 

    "It's important that we have midfielders who can speed up the game and make the final pass."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.