Simeone accepts criticism and calls for consistency

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Diego Simeone understands why Atletico Madrid have been criticised in recent weeks and has called for more consistency from his players.

Atletico were held 1-1 at home to Valencia on Saturday and have now drawn four of their last five LaLiga matches.

Three of those draws have finished goalless, with Diego Costa and Alvaro Morata failing to get going this season, while fellow attacker Joao Felix - out of Tuesday's Champions League clash with Bayer Leverkusen due to an ankle injury sustained against Valencia - has also yet to justify his €126m price tag.

Despite his misfiring side being fifth in LaLiga, Simeone believes there are also some positive performances to build on.

Asked about the criticism his side have faced in the wake of their latest draw, Simeone told reporters: "It's an opinion. I respect it.

"We've always worked hard, we keep working to improve. The team hasn't been consistent, but we've had our [good] moments in every game, against Getafe, Leganes, Celta Vigo... we have to look for [consistency] and keep trying.

"Morata had chances, Costa too. We have to threaten the goal. You have to live with possible down spells."

Koke has started all 11 of Atletico's matches this season and agrees that results will soon start to turn.

"I have to respect everyone's opinion," Koke said at Monday's pre-match news conference ahead of the visit of Leverkusen.

"I'm just focused on keep working hard and help my team winning. I respect people's opinion about me and the team. I cannot agree with some of those. We all, myself, my team-mates and the coaching staff are working hard to get good results. 

"We have a great squad and sooner or late we will get good results.

"Sometimes, people get tired of seeing the same faces for so long time, they get used to good things, so that is why some times there are some critics. 

"We are just three points behind Barcelona and level with Juventus in the Champions League group stage. Let's be calm as the season has just started. We will keep working on it and the positive results will eventually come up."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut Coronavirus: Sancho among Dortmund stars to break COVID-19 protocol with haircut

    Borussia Dortmund will remind their players of their responsibilities after Jadon Sancho and some of his team-mates broke the German Football League's (DFL) coronavirus protocol to get a haircut.

    In photographs published by BILD, Sancho, Axel Witsel, Thorgan Hazard, Raphael Guerreiro, Dan-Axel Zagadou and Manuel Akanji were seen getting a trim from barber Winnie Nana Karkari at their homes without wearing masks.

    According to DFL regulations, players should have no contact with the public, stay at home and receive no visitors.

    In a statement released to BILD, Dortmund said: "It is pretty usual that our guys must get their hair cut after all these months. But it is surely a no-go, from both sides, not to wear a mask.

    "We will remind our players about that very, very clearly. Also, the barber should ask himself about his behaviour too."

    Karkari claimed he followed strict hygiene procedures and was wearing his mask at all times other than when pictured.

    He said: "I only took off the mask for the photo, otherwise I followed all hygiene measures very precisely.

    "I disinfected every machine before every customer, always cut with gloves even independently of coronavirus – and I am very, very fussy."

    Dortmund fell seven points behind Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich after a 1-0 loss to Hansi Flick's side at Signal Iduna Park last week.

    They are next in action at home to Hertha Berlin on Saturday.

  • Coronavirus: Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for NHS Coronavirus: Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for NHS

    A number of Premier League stars have put signed shirts up for a charity raffle to raise money for health services in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Top-flight players launched their '#PlayersTogether' fund in April, an initiative working alongside NHS Charities Together.

    In the latest development on Wednesday, players donated over 500 signed jerseys to the Shirts for Heroes raffle on eBay, with each ticket costing £5.

    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, who was said to be prominent in the initial movement, was among those to post of their involvement on Twitter.

    Henderson and team-mate Virgil van Dijk each quickly gathered more than 150 ticket sales.

    Manchester City's midfield duo Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva were also involved, along with Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire.

  • Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for charity Henderson and De Bruyne among Premier League stars raffling shirts for charity

    A number of Premier League stars have put signed shirts up for a charity raffle to raise money for health services in the United Kingdom during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Top-flight players launched their '#PlayersTogether' fund in April, an initiative in which they would work with NHS Charities Together.

    In the latest development on Wednesday, players donated over 500 signed jerseys to the Shirts for Heroes raffle on eBay, with each ticket costing £5.

    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, who was said to be prominent in the initial movement, was among those to post of their involvement on Twitter.

    Henderson and team-mate Virgil van Dijk each quickly gathered more than 150 ticket sales.

    Manchester City's midfield duo Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva were also involved, along with Manchester United skipper Harry Maguire.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.