Freund: Germany have 'no chance' of winning Euro 2020

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Ex-Germany midfielder Steffen Freund believes Joachim Low's side are not capable of winning Euro 2020.

Germany have not won the event since 1996, when they beat the Czech Republic in a Wembley final.

Next year's edition of the tournament will also conclude at Wembley and Germany have a strong recent record, having been finalists in 2008 before finishing third in 2012 and 2016.

But Germany did not make it out of the group stages at last year's FIFA World Cup and Freund said the side's depth is a problem.

"We have no chance of winning the Euro [2020]," Freund told Omnisport, speaking courtesy of the UEFA Champions League Trophy Tour, driven by the new Nissan Juke.

"You will always have injured players and we need everybody healthy … in the past, World Cup 2002 for example, an easy start [and] so you can get on a run.

"This could be possible because this time, 24 teams will play [at the Euros].

"Of course I hope Germany will be able to win the Euro [2020], but I can't imagine it at the moment."

Freund said that Germany's recent form showed why they are unlikely to seriously contend at Euro 2020, citing the first half of a 3-0 win against Estonia in Tallinn earlier this month as the perfect example.

It took a below-par Germany 51 minutes to open their account in that fixture.

"Looking at the team, there are many talented players new in the team," Freund added.

"There were so many players injured during the last two games – that was not great and you could see in the first half against Estonia, how far away we are from the best in Europe, especially when we are missing key players.

"I'm not even talking about the world's top."

Germany sit second in Group C of Euro 2020 qualifying, with five wins from six matches.

Related items

  • Inter haven't spoken to Brescia about Tonali – Marotta Inter haven't spoken to Brescia about Tonali – Marotta

    Inter chief executive Giuseppe Marotta said the Nerazzurri have not discussed signing star midfielder Sandro Tonali with Brescia.

    Tonali is highly coveted following his exploits for Brescia – the Italian attracting interest from the likes of Serie A champions Juventus, Inter, Manchester United, Manchester City and Barcelona.

    Inter are tipped to prise Tonali from Brescia amid reports a five-year contract has already been agreed with the 20-year-old, who has been compared to Italian great Andrea Pirlo.

    Asked about an advertisement televised in China, showing head coach Antonio Conte painting an Inter jersey on Tonali, CEO Marotta – speaking prior to Wednesday's 6-0 Serie A rout of Brescia – told DAZN: "I think he painted the youngest player in the game, so it might be an auspice of youth that Inter would like in future.

    "Tonali is admired not just by me, but by all fans of Italian football.

    "He is still a Brescia player and we have not discussed it with them, despite having a good rapport."

    Tonali, who played a key role in Brescia's promotion from Serie B in 2018-19, has scored one goal and supplied five assists this season.

    The Italy international is reportedly set to follow Achraf Hakimi to Inter, who are poised to announce the signing of the Real Madrid full-back following a two-year loan spell at Borussia Dortmund.

  • Coronavirus: MLS announces six FC Dallas players test positive for COVID-19 Coronavirus: MLS announces six FC Dallas players test positive for COVID-19

    With the MLS season set to resume next week, the league says six FC Dallas players have tested positive for COVID-19 since arriving in Orlando, Florida.

    In a statement released on Wednesday, the MLS said two players tested positive immediately upon arrival at the host hotel, and the additional four tested positive within the last two days.

    FC Dallas said every member of their traveling party tested negative before leaving for Florida on Saturday.

    All six players were immediately moved to the isolation area of the hotel, and are in daily communication with and receive remote care from a healthcare provider.

    The rest of the FC Dallas delegation is following MLS' health and safety protocols and quarantining in their hotel rooms pending the results of additional testing.

    The league added that no other members of the MLS delegation have tested positive, and no other clubs have been in contact with Dallas' delegation.

    On Sunday, MLS said 18 players and six club staff tested positive prior to traveling to Orlando.

    The MLS, which has been suspended since March 12 due to the coronavirus pandemic, is set to resume on July 8 with the MLS is Back Tournament at the Disney World Resort.

    FC Dallas open play in the group stage on July 9 against the Vancouver Whitecaps.

  • Lautaro Martinez's lack of goals not concerning Antonio Conte Lautaro Martinez's lack of goals not concerning Antonio Conte

    Lautaro Martinez was not one of Inter's six goalscorers on Wednesday, but Antonio Conte is remaining relaxed about the striker's struggles.

    The Nerazzurri enjoyed a comfortable evening as they thrashed bottom side Brescia 6-0 to move back to within eight points of Serie A leaders Juventus.

    Ashley Young, Alexis Sanchez and Danilo D'Ambrosio all scored in the first half, with Roberto Gagliardini, Christian Eriksen and Antonio Candreva also on target after the break.

    Conte left top scorer Romelu Lukaku on the bench for the first 68 minutes, and though Martinez was given a chance from the off, his failure to get on the scoresheet means he has just one goal across his past 10 appearances in all competitions.

    Martinez, who has scored 12 times in Serie A this season, missed the target with two good chances and kicked the post in a clear sign of frustration when thwarted by goalkeeper Jesse Joronen on another occasion.

    "We can't hold anything against him, especially in terms of his commitment," Conte told DAZN of a player rumoured to be of interest to Barcelona.

    "He deserved a goal and the personal satisfaction that comes with it. I'm very calm, I've got a great group of guys, professionals who want the best for Inter.

    "Because of that, we can have flaws or get things wrong during games, but I'm still able to remain calm because of the professionalism and generosity of this group.

    "My only regret this year is that we paid a big price for our naivety."

    With Martinez having another off-night, and Lukaku only appearing for the closing stages, it was Young and Sanchez who shone at San Siro.

    The two combined for the opening goal, one of two assists for Sanchez, who also scored his first Inter goal since September from the penalty spot.

    The 31-year-old Chilean still looks a long way from the player who impressed at Arsenal prior to joining Manchester United in 2018, but Conte is pleased with the path the Inter loanee is now on.

    "We brought him here for his qualities," Conte added.

    "Unfortunately, we lost him as an option for a long time. He's now starting to find his feet, even if he's still not the Sanchez I was such a big fan of in England.

    "What I can say, however, is that he's on the right track, he put in a great performance today. Having all my forwards available makes me feel more relaxed."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.