Tottenham suffering from raised expectations, says defiant Pochettino

By Sports Desk October 21, 2019

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says the club's situation looks worse due to heightened expectations after last year's run to the Champions League final.

Pochettino oversaw a stunning campaign in Europe last time out, with his side ultimately succumbing to a 2-0 defeat to domestic rivals Liverpool in Madrid.

The club have endured a sobering start to the 2019-20 campaign, though, languishing seventh in the Premier League and suffering a 7-2 Champions League humiliation by Bayern Munich earlier this month.

Their form has led to speculation that Pochettino's position could be under threat, but the 47-year-old does not think the situation is as dire as many have suggested and says he is working hard to turn around his players' confidence.

"The expectation changed after the Champions League final and that is why the situation looks worse," he told a media conference ahead of Spurs' Champions League clash with Red Star Belgrade on Tuesday.

"The most important thing is to build our confidence again. When all the circumstances are against you, you need to be strong and work harder because you need to expend more energy.

"I am talking to the players collectively and individually. For many of our players this is the first time they've been in a tough period.

"For 99 per cent of our players they were in a very good period for the past five years. It's a very new thing for them.

"Every game is important. It's important to win tomorrow to be in a good position in the table. In this type of period our worst opponent is ourselves and we need to build our confidence."

Pochettino added he is not surprised at rumours over his future, suggesting past success counts for little in football.

"That’s football; I’m not surprised," he said. "In the same way they praise you, football is all about winning. What happened yesterday is gone."

Tottenham are third in Champions League Group B, having picked up just one point from their opening two games. 

Related items

  • Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links

    Hernan Crespo labelled Lautaro Martinez a "complete player" and wants the forward to snub Barcelona and stay at Inter.

    Martinez, 22, is heavily linked with a move to the LaLiga giants after an impressive season at Inter, scoring 16 goals in 31 games in 2019-20.

    Former Inter and Argentina forward Crespo believes Martinez should stay at San Siro and establish himself further before moving on.

    "I would like him to stay at Inter because this has been his first year as a starter," he told David de las Heras on YouTube, via Sport.

    "I wish he had a bit more solid foundation before another change comes. Trains slow down at the best stations and Lautaro is one of them."

    Crespo, now head coach of Defensa y Justicia, won three Serie A titles with Inter, where the former Chelsea forward spent four seasons.

    The 44-year-old likes what he has seen from Martinez, who also has nine international goals in 17 appearances for Argentina.

    "He is a very serious and focused boy. I really like that. He has a lot of personality," Crespo said.

    "He is a complete player who can play in attack both alone and accompanying another striker."

  • Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent

    Juventus must talk to Chelsea if they want to sign Jorginho, according to the Italy star's agent Joao Santos.

    Serie A champions Juve are reportedly interested in reuniting head coach Maurizio Sarri with Jorginho in Turin – the pair having worked together at Chelsea and Napoli.

    Jorginho has emerged as a possible replacement for Miralem Pjanic, who has been linked to LaLiga champions Barcelona and Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain.

    The latest rumours, however, claim Jorginho and Juve's Federico Bernardeschi could be involved in a swap deal.

    Santos, though, denied Juve have made contact regarding Chelsea midfielder Jorginho.

    "I only hear about these rumours from the newspapers, because nobody from Juventus has contacted me," Santos told TuttoJuve.com.

    "Maurizio Sarri appreciates him very much as a person and a player, they worked very well together, but that's all there is to it right now. The player is focused only on Chelsea, he's resumed training and is preparing for the Premier League restart.

    "In my view, it would be difficult for the Bianconeri to buy him today, because the transfer market has changed with the pandemic and Jorginho has a contract with Chelsea until 2023. He is the vice-captain and considered an important player for the squad.

    "I don't just mean Juventus, but all the biggest European clubs would struggle to pay that much for one player right now."

    Santos added: "If it should happen [a proposal from Juve], I say that anyone who wants Jorginho has to talk to Chelsea and Marina [Granovskaia]. Then we will evaluate together what to do. That would not be a problem."

  • Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest Giroud 'very nearly' left Chelsea in January amid Inter and Lazio interest

    Olivier Giroud admitted he "very nearly" left Chelsea during the January transfer window before extending his contract with the Premier League club.

    Giroud was linked with Serie A sides Inter and Lazio, but last month extended his deal through until the end of next season.

    The 33-year-old striker said he was close to leaving Stamford Bridge before receiving assurances from head coach Frank Lampard.

    "I was supposed to leave in the January transfer window because I wasn't playing much and I needed more game time to make the France squad for Euro 2020," Giroud told the club's website.

    "I very nearly left the club but I really think that God wanted me to stay at Chelsea.

    "The manager told me that he couldn't let me leave because he didn't have anyone to replace me. Everyone knows what happened so I won't go back over it but the coach spoke to me privately and told me that he'd give more games.

    "He kept his word and what then mattered to me was proving to him that he could count on me when I was called upon."

    Giroud arrived at Chelsea from Arsenal in 2018 and has already helped the club win the Europa League and FA Cup.

    The France international is eager to win more silverware with Chelsea, while saying he was happy in London.

    "I want to keep winning trophies and I want to continue to show the manager that he can count on me," Giroud said.

    "Plus, with the whole coronavirus lockdown situation, I didn't really feel comfortable with the idea of moving abroad and uprooting my family. I think a lot about our quality of life and we have a great setup here. I think a lot about my family now."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.