Simeone praises goal-shy duo Costa & Morata

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Diego Simeone praised the enthusiasm of Atletico Madrid strikers Diego Costa and Alvaro Morata despite their struggles in front of goal this season.

Atleti have just one win from their past five LaLiga games but are only three points behind leaders and city rivals Real Madrid.

Simeone's men have drawn a blank in each of the four encounters they have failed to win in this stretch.

Costa and Morata have each scored only once in the league so far this campaign, but Simeone sees little reason to be concerned about the duo.

"I think they are great, they're doing good, even if they haven't proved it with goals yet - and I know that's their bread and butter," Simeone told a media conference. 

"I think their involvement, predisposition and their will to improve is awesome. I hope they keep it that way, it's their challenge

"They both scored one goal in La Liga, Morata played less than Diego but I see both are enthusiastic. I can see they want to improve.

"We have to keep calm and know they are two important players for this club and the team. We hope that they will start scoring soon since it's part of their lives, [but] I sincerely think they're doing good."

Atletico welcome Valencia to the Wanda Metropolitano on Saturday, with Simeone hoping his players hit their stride quickly upon returning from the international break.

"When they come back from the national team, it is not easy," Simeone added. "They're playing more and more games with the national team and that's difficult for the teams and obviously for the players as well.

"They play almost every day. We hope they adapt again really fast to the club and competition.

"Tomorrow's game is against a competitive and historic team like Valencia, they are really powerful at recovering and counter-attacking.

"A few things are changing with [Albert] Celades from what it was with Marcelino, but obviously the team already had a structure and I imagine the coach is combining it to do the best for the team.

"They are dangerous, dynamic and have a dangerous counter-attack, and we think that's the way our rival will play tomorrow."

Related items

  • Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links

    Hernan Crespo labelled Lautaro Martinez a "complete player" and wants the forward to snub Barcelona and stay at Inter.

    Martinez, 22, is heavily linked with a move to the LaLiga giants after an impressive season at Inter, scoring 16 goals in 31 games in 2019-20.

    Former Inter and Argentina forward Crespo believes Martinez should stay at San Siro and establish himself further before moving on.

    "I would like him to stay at Inter because this has been his first year as a starter," he told David de las Heras on YouTube, via Sport.

    "I wish he had a bit more solid foundation before another change comes. Trains slow down at the best stations and Lautaro is one of them."

    Crespo, now head coach of Defensa y Justicia, won three Serie A titles with Inter, where the former Chelsea forward spent four seasons.

    The 44-year-old likes what he has seen from Martinez, who also has nine international goals in 17 appearances for Argentina.

    "He is a very serious and focused boy. I really like that. He has a lot of personality," Crespo said.

    "He is a complete player who can play in attack both alone and accompanying another striker."

  • Scaloni: If Barca target Martinez plays with Messi, he is much better Scaloni: If Barca target Martinez plays with Messi, he is much better

    Lionel Scaloni said playing alongside countryman Lionel Messi is better for Inter star Lautaro Martinez amid growing links to Barcelona.

    Martinez has been tipped to swap Serie A side Inter for LaLiga champions Barca in the off-season following his exploits in Italy.

    The Argentina international forward scored 16 goals in 31 matches across all competitions before the 2019-20 season was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    As speculation grows over Martinez's future, Argentina head coach Scaloni discussed the 22-year-old.

    "If he plays with Messi he is better, no doubt. Beyond that later he will have to fight for the position as he did in Inter," Scaloni told TyC Sports.

    "We have to be calm. If he changes clubs, maybe he does not have to be the undisputed starter, and it will not affect us, as long as he has a number of minutes that allows him to be in force.

    "He has a huge future but still has a lot to give."

    With Martinez dominating headlines, Scaloni issued a reminder about Sergio Aguero's exploits for Argentina and Manchester City.

    Aguero is City's all-time top scorer as he celebrated his 32nd birthday on Tuesday, while he is third on Argentina's overall goals list with 41.

    "Talking so much about Lautaro, it is Sergio who is breaking all the records," added Scaloni. "That is why you have to go calmly and wait for the moment of each one."

  • Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief

    Irene Lozano, the president of Spain's National Sports Council (CSD), insisted it was "impossible" to have fans back in stadiums when LaLiga resumes this month.

    The LaLiga season will restart on June 11 and Miguel Angel Ramirez, the president of Segunda Division club Las Palmas, said supporters would be able to attend his side's home matches beginning that weekend.

    However, Lozano said it was impossible to have fans return so soon amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    "It is impossible. The integrity of the competition must be respected," she told Cadena SER, via AS, on Tuesday.

    "There are many considerations in this regard, but the most essential is sports. Respect the integrity of the competition.

    "Since LaLiga is a national competition and we have all tried so very hard that the training sessions were matched, I'm a bit surprised that after the effort we have made to match what was out of step, now suddenly in the last 100 metres we come to unbalance."

    Barcelona hold a two-point lead over Real Madrid at the top with 11 games left, and the latter will not play at the Santiago Bernabeu when they get back underway.

    Lozano, who kept open the possibility of fans attending this season, said LaLiga needed to stay responsible amid COVID-19, which has killed more than 381,000 people worldwide.

    "If you compare yourself to other places, the Bundesliga, where people have not entered, it is time to be patient, it is time to be responsible," she said.

    "They cannot enter or congregate in the immediate vicinity. And if it happens, who is responsible for that?

    "Until all the forecasts are in the same phase of de-escalation, it is impossible for there to be football with the public."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.