Dembele appeal rejected but winger available for postponed Clasico

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Barcelona's appeal to have Ousmane Dembele's two-game ban reduced to one has been rejected by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

Dembele was sent off in the closing minutes of Barca's 4-0 LaLiga win over Sevilla this month following a confrontation with referee Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz, who had just given debutant Ronald Araujo a red card for a foul on Javier Hernandez.

Barcelona's initial appeal against Dembele's red card was dismissed and he was ruled out of the club's next two league matches.

With the France forward seemingly set to miss the Clasico against Real Madrid, which had been scheduled for October 26, Barca then attempted to have his ban halved.

Their efforts proved in vain but Dembele will now be available for the first LaLiga Clasico of the season, with the fixture having been postponed due to safety concerns amid the ongoing political tensions and protests in Catalonia.

Instead, the former Borussia Dortmund star will miss Saturday's match against Eibar and the meeting with Real Valladolid a week on Tuesday.

The Camp Nou Clasico appears set to be played on December 18 after both Barca and Madrid proposed the date on Friday.

Dembele has made three league appearances for Barca this season, scoring once - against Sevilla.

Related items

  • Scaloni: If Barca target Martinez plays with Messi, he is much better Scaloni: If Barca target Martinez plays with Messi, he is much better

    Lionel Scaloni said playing alongside countryman Lionel Messi is better for Inter star Lautaro Martinez amid growing links to Barcelona.

    Martinez has been tipped to swap Serie A side Inter for LaLiga champions Barca in the off-season following his exploits in Italy.

    The Argentina international forward scored 16 goals in 31 matches across all competitions before the 2019-20 season was halted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    As speculation grows over Martinez's future, Argentina head coach Scaloni discussed the 22-year-old.

    "If he plays with Messi he is better, no doubt. Beyond that later he will have to fight for the position as he did in Inter," Scaloni told TyC Sports.

    "We have to be calm. If he changes clubs, maybe he does not have to be the undisputed starter, and it will not affect us, as long as he has a number of minutes that allows him to be in force.

    "He has a huge future but still has a lot to give."

    With Martinez dominating headlines, Scaloni issued a reminder about Sergio Aguero's exploits for Argentina and Manchester City.

    Aguero is City's all-time top scorer as he celebrated his 32nd birthday on Tuesday, while he is third on Argentina's overall goals list with 41.

    "Talking so much about Lautaro, it is Sergio who is breaking all the records," added Scaloni. "That is why you have to go calmly and wait for the moment of each one."

  • Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief Coronavirus: 'Impossible' for fans to attend when LaLiga resumes, says CSD chief

    Irene Lozano, the president of Spain's National Sports Council (CSD), insisted it was "impossible" to have fans back in stadiums when LaLiga resumes this month.

    The LaLiga season will restart on June 11 and Miguel Angel Ramirez, the president of Segunda Division club Las Palmas, said supporters would be able to attend his side's home matches beginning that weekend.

    However, Lozano said it was impossible to have fans return so soon amid the coronavirus pandemic.

    "It is impossible. The integrity of the competition must be respected," she told Cadena SER, via AS, on Tuesday.

    "There are many considerations in this regard, but the most essential is sports. Respect the integrity of the competition.

    "Since LaLiga is a national competition and we have all tried so very hard that the training sessions were matched, I'm a bit surprised that after the effort we have made to match what was out of step, now suddenly in the last 100 metres we come to unbalance."

    Barcelona hold a two-point lead over Real Madrid at the top with 11 games left, and the latter will not play at the Santiago Bernabeu when they get back underway.

    Lozano, who kept open the possibility of fans attending this season, said LaLiga needed to stay responsible amid COVID-19, which has killed more than 381,000 people worldwide.

    "If you compare yourself to other places, the Bundesliga, where people have not entered, it is time to be patient, it is time to be responsible," she said.

    "They cannot enter or congregate in the immediate vicinity. And if it happens, who is responsible for that?

    "Until all the forecasts are in the same phase of de-escalation, it is impossible for there to be football with the public."

  • Corey Burke hat trick propels St. Polten to 5-0 thrashing of WST Tirol in Austria Corey Burke hat trick propels St. Polten to 5-0 thrashing of WST Tirol in Austria

    Jamaica’s Corey Burke scored a hat trick to lead St Polten to a 5-0 victory over WST Tirol as action resumed in the Austrian Bundesliga on Tuesday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.