Juventus striker Mandzukic agrees to stay out of training

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

Mario Mandzukic's days at Juventus look to be numbered after Maurizio Sarri confirmed the forward will not take part in training unless his transfer situation changes.

Mandzukic, 33, has not played a single competitive minute since Sarri took charge at Allianz Stadium and was left off Juve's 22-man list for the Champions League.

AC Milan are rumoured to have joined Manchester United in the race for the Bianconeri outcast, who reportedly held talks with Qatari side Al Rayyan last month

Mandzukic is said to want to explore his options and an understanding has been reached for him to refrain from training, a move that reduces chances of injury ahead of a potential transfer.

However, Sarri did not entirely rule out the possibility of the Croatian returning to the fold.

"Mandzukic is not training with us, in agreement with the club," the Juve head coach told a news conference on Friday. "If the agreement changes, I am open to everything."

While the former Wolfsburg, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid attacker is out of the frame for now, Sarri will regain defender Danilo for Saturday's home game against Bologna.

The full-back has recovered from a thigh injury and is set to join the Aaron Ramsey in the matchday squad, the midfielder having overcome the minor muscle problem that kept him out of Wales duty.

Juve head into the weekend as Serie A leaders thanks to their 2-1 win over title rivals Inter before the international break.

The victory was seen as a vindication of the new playing style Sarri has brought to the club but he is hesitant to place too much emphasis on a single result.

"I've been living with scepticism for years, so it doesn't affect me," the ex-Chelsea boss said.

"The rankings in the table right now are not important. We have to concentrate on finding the right continuity in terms of performance.

"That game against Inter was important but it has passed, so we need to focus only on the next one.

"It's always difficult starting again after the international break. It's not easy for the players and there are a lot of risks."

Related items

  • Havertz will join a 'world-class club' but Leverkusen hope for one more year Havertz will join a 'world-class club' but Leverkusen hope for one more year

    Kai Havertz will join a "world-class club" in the future but Rudi Voller hopes to keep him at Bayer Leverkusen for another year.

    Leverkusen forward Havertz has been heavily linked with Bayern Munich, Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid but head coach Peter Bosz said in March he will cost at least €100million.

    The 20-year-old scored 17 Bundesliga goals in 2018-19 and this season has notched 11 times and supplied five assists in 26 appearances.

    Leverkusen's managing director of sport Voller acknowledges it is only a matter of time until Havertz departs the BayArena for bigger things.

    However, he hopes to be able to convince the in-demand Germany international to hang around for at least another season.

    "He feels comfortable, he still has a contract until 2022, but we know that Kai will eventually move to a world-class club," Voller told Sky Sports.

    "But he is still here, and I still have the hope of being able to keep him for a year and to be able to do it."

    Leverkusen sit fifth in the Bundesliga with five games remaining and are only outside the Champions League places on goal difference, while they have a 3-1 lead over Rangers after one leg in their Europa League last-16 tie.

    Bosz's side face Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich on Saturday, before a DFB-Pokal semi-final against fourth-tier Saarbrucken, whose league campaign has been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • 'Let's go for more!' - Maradona signs new deal at Gimnasia 'Let's go for more!' - Maradona signs new deal at Gimnasia

    Diego Maradona has set aside speculation surrounding his future and signed a new one-year contract at Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata.

    The Argentina great was appointed as Gimnasia's head coach in September, although he briefly departed in November and returned two days later.

    Maradona was out of contract at the end of the season and the prospect of his return to the Primera Division club appeared remote, as the two parties reportedly failed to come to an agreement on a deal at the start of the week.

    However, Gimnasia, celebrating their 133rd birthday on Wednesday, confirmed news of his renewal until 2021.

    The club posted on Twitter: "You are known as Pelusa, Barrilete Cosmico, God, Diego, Diegote, capitan...

    "But for us, you are one more Tripero and your heart is already as blue and white as ours."

    Maradona had earlier hinted at an agreement as he congratulated Gimnasia on their anniversary on his Instagram page.

    "Today is El Lobo's birthday," he wrote. "Congratulations to @Gimnasia_Oficial and a hug to your WONDERFUL fans!!!

    "My heart is blue and white. Let's go for more!!!"

    The Primera Division season was ended prematurely in April due to the coronavirus pandemic, with relegation suspended for two years.

    Gimnasia were 19th in the 24-team division when the campaign was brought to a close.

  • Coronavirus: MLS players finalise return plan amid Orlando tournament reports Coronavirus: MLS players finalise return plan amid Orlando tournament reports

    MLS players have finalised a plan to return to playing this season amid reports the 2020 campaign will become a tournament in Orlando.

    The latest MLS season, which began in February, was halted after just two weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    The regular season had been scheduled to run until October, but much of the calendar has been wiped out by the suspension amid the global crisis.

    However, the Major League Soccer Players Association (MLSPA) announced on Wednesday its members had come to an agreement on the remainder of the campaign.

    In a statement announcing a new collective bargaining agreement, to run through 2025, the MLSPA said: "Today's vote also finalises a plan to resume the 2020 season and provides players with certainty for the months ahead.

    "It allows our members to move forward and continue to compete in the game they love."

    It has been reported MLS teams will compete in a televised tournament at Disney's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando in early July, replacing the standard season.

    Clubs will reportedly first play a group stage and then knockout rounds, although MLS is yet to confirm the details of the league's resumption.

    Asked last month about a return to the pitch, New England Revolution captain Carles Gil told Stats Perform News: "I don't mind where and when it is, but sooner is better. And especially in the safest way possible.

    "If it has to be in Orlando, let it be in Orlando. And if we can restart the league as it has always been, it is even better. My opinion is to go on, safety granted, the best way possible."

    Meanwhile, apparently referring to the nationwide protests against racism and police brutality following the death of George Floyd, the MLSPA's statement on Wednesday added: "There are problems we face collectively that are both more urgent and more important than competing on the field.

    "We are grieving, we are fed up, we expect change, and we expect action."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.