EPL

Pogba out for United against Liverpool, De Gea to be assessed

By Sports Desk October 16, 2019

David de Gea's fitness will be assessed ahead of Manchester United's Premier League clash with Liverpool, which Paul Pogba will miss.

Goalkeeper De Gea appeared to suffer a groin injury during Spain's 1-1 draw with Sweden in Euro 2020 qualifying on Tuesday.

Pogba, meanwhile, has been hampered by an ankle injury this season and played only twice for United in September.

He had taken part in warm-weather training in Dubai this week but will be reduced to the role of spectator on Sunday as United aim to deal their great rivals a first league defeat of the season.

Solskjaer does not expect De Gea to be fit for the visit of the league leaders but will wait on the results of tests on the 28-year-old. Sergio Romero would likely deputise in his absence.

"No chance," Solskjaer said to Sky Sports of Pogba's hopes of playing in the fixture.

"Paul, he had an injury, came back, worked really hard, came back, played a couple of games, maybe played through the pain barrier.

"We had a scan after the Arsenal game and he needed a few weeks' rest in a boot. Hopefully he won't be too long but he won't make this game."

United go into this weekend's game in 12th position and 15 points behind Liverpool, who are eight points clear at the top having taken maximum points from their first eight league games.

Related items

  • Jorge Jesus extends Flamengo contract Jorge Jesus extends Flamengo contract

    Flamengo head coach Jorge Jesus has extended his contract with the Brazilian giants until at least 2021.

    Jesus, 65, took the helm of Flamengo last year and led the club to three trophies in 2019, winning the Copa Libertadores, Brazilian Serie A and Campeonato Carioca.

    The former Benfica boss confirmed he had agreed to a new deal on Tuesday, with reports suggesting he will earn around €4million.

    "My representatives reached an agreement today with Flamengo's board of directors to renew my contract for another year," Jesus wrote on Instagram.

    "My friendly relations with the entire squad, club structure and Flamengo's fans were decisive to touch my heart and spoke louder in my decision.

    "Thank you all for your kindness and support."

    Jesus has led Flamengo to 41 wins from 55 games since taking charge in June last year.

    The Copa Libertadores success last year was Flamengo's first since 1981.

  • Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links Crespo hopes 'complete' Martinez stays at Inter amid Barcelona links

    Hernan Crespo labelled Lautaro Martinez a "complete player" and wants the forward to snub Barcelona and stay at Inter.

    Martinez, 22, is heavily linked with a move to the LaLiga giants after an impressive season at Inter, scoring 16 goals in 31 games in 2019-20.

    Former Inter and Argentina forward Crespo believes Martinez should stay at San Siro and establish himself further before moving on.

    "I would like him to stay at Inter because this has been his first year as a starter," he told David de las Heras on YouTube, via Sport.

    "I wish he had a bit more solid foundation before another change comes. Trains slow down at the best stations and Lautaro is one of them."

    Crespo, now head coach of Defensa y Justicia, won three Serie A titles with Inter, where the former Chelsea forward spent four seasons.

    The 44-year-old likes what he has seen from Martinez, who also has nine international goals in 17 appearances for Argentina.

    "He is a very serious and focused boy. I really like that. He has a lot of personality," Crespo said.

    "He is a complete player who can play in attack both alone and accompanying another striker."

  • Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent Juve must talk to Chelsea if they want Jorginho – agent

    Juventus must talk to Chelsea if they want to sign Jorginho, according to the Italy star's agent Joao Santos.

    Serie A champions Juve are reportedly interested in reuniting head coach Maurizio Sarri with Jorginho in Turin – the pair having worked together at Chelsea and Napoli.

    Jorginho has emerged as a possible replacement for Miralem Pjanic, who has been linked to LaLiga champions Barcelona and Ligue 1 holders Paris Saint-Germain.

    The latest rumours, however, claim Jorginho and Juve's Federico Bernardeschi could be involved in a swap deal.

    Santos, though, denied Juve have made contact regarding Chelsea midfielder Jorginho.

    "I only hear about these rumours from the newspapers, because nobody from Juventus has contacted me," Santos told TuttoJuve.com.

    "Maurizio Sarri appreciates him very much as a person and a player, they worked very well together, but that's all there is to it right now. The player is focused only on Chelsea, he's resumed training and is preparing for the Premier League restart.

    "In my view, it would be difficult for the Bianconeri to buy him today, because the transfer market has changed with the pandemic and Jorginho has a contract with Chelsea until 2023. He is the vice-captain and considered an important player for the squad.

    "I don't just mean Juventus, but all the biggest European clubs would struggle to pay that much for one player right now."

    Santos added: "If it should happen [a proposal from Juve], I say that anyone who wants Jorginho has to talk to Chelsea and Marina [Granovskaia]. Then we will evaluate together what to do. That would not be a problem."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.