Salgado: Jovic needs time at Real Madrid

By Sports Desk October 13, 2019

Former Real Madrid defender Michel Salgado insisted Luka Jovic is a "great striker," who needs time to settle in at the La Liga giant.

Jovic is still searching for his first goal for Madrid since arriving from Bundesliga outfit Eintracht Frankfurt in a reported €60million deal.

The 21-year-old Serbia international arrived in the offseason after scored 27 goals in 2018-19. However, he is yet to open his Madrid account and has not found the back of the net since a Euro 2020 qualifier in June.

Salgado, who won four LaLiga titles and two Champions League trophies during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu, was asked about Jovic and he told Omnisport: "He's a young player. If Real Madrid signed him, is due to something. He has been a great player Eintracht Frankfurt, lot of goals, great attacking quality.

"It is known that Real Madrid needed a 'nine', a striker. Benzema is a different 'nine', a player that collects, combines over finishing. Jovic must still learn, it's a young player and Real Madrid it's a team with a lot of pressure. He needs time. He has that time, we know he's a great striker, you guys know that here in Germany."

Salgado also urged to "give him some space" and then "little by little" Jovic would become a Real Madrid player.

Jovic, who was not called up by Serbia during the international break, and La Liga leaders Madrid are back in action away to Mallorca on Saturday.

While Madrid top the table by two points, it has not been a straightforward start to the season for Zinedine Zidane's men.

Zidane, in his second spell at the helm, has been criticised, especially after the club's 3-0 Champions League loss to Paris Saint-Germain.

"There's always critics at Real Madrid. A club that depends on victories, a gigantic club," Salgado said. "With a lot of pressure. But I think the last two scores had calm the team.

"Zidane deserves all our respect, he won three Champions Leagues in a row. Something that no one has achieve in history, now arriving into Madrid in a difficult position from last year. The season just started, and they climb into the first positions. We've got to let them work. I know Real Madrid, I been there almost 11 years. I know how it works and it's important that the manager and the players are calm in a moment like these.

"As I said, being leaders brought clam to the team and the team will grow a lot from now on. Zidane deserves the confidence from us, supporters. I think he's doing a great job."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Pogba prefers Juve over Madrid, Pochettino nears Tottenham exit Rumour Has It: Pogba prefers Juve over Madrid, Pochettino nears Tottenham exit

    Paul Pogba has decided where he wants his next move to be, while Mauricio Pochettino is nearing a Tottenham exit.

    Pogba, 26, was linked with a Manchester United departure during the close season but ended up staying at Old Trafford.

    However, the France midfielder's future remains a talking point.

     

    TOP STORY – POGBA PREFERS JUVENTUS RETURN OVER MADRID MOVE

    Pogba would prefer to return to Juventus but would not say no to Real Madrid, according to Tuttosport.

    The Serie A champions and LaLiga giants were the two clubs most heavily linked with a move for Pogba – who is contracted until 2021 – during the close season.

    A potential Juve deal for Pogba could see Mario Mandzukic head to Manchester United, the report says.

    ROUND-UP

    - Pochettino has held "crisis talks" with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as he nears an exit, according to The Telegraph. Spurs have struggled this season and sit 14th in the Premier League table through 12 games.

    - While Mandzukic is wanted by United, Borussia Dortmund are ready to compete for the striker, according to Kicker. Mandzukic starred during two seasons with Bayern Munich before leaving the Bundesliga in 2014.

    - Spain have offered Luis Enrique a chance to lead the nation at Euro 2020, according to AS. The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) have called a news conference for Tuesday, with Luis Enrique reportedly set to replace Robert Moreno at the helm.

    - Manchester United are preparing to try to sign both Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho and RB Salzburg's Erling Haaland in January, according to Goal. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to try and strengthen his squad with United nine points adrift of the top four in the Premier League.

    - Chelsea attacker Willian and Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz have slowed contract talks with their respective clubs amid interest from Barcelona, according to Mundo Deportivo. Willian is out of contract at season's end, while Fabian's deal runs until 2023.

    - Manchester City are considering making a move for RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano, according to the Mirror. The Premier League champions lost Aymeric Laporte to a knee injury in September and may look to strengthen, although the Frenchman is expected to be back in early 2020.

  • Southgate has no plans to quit England role ahead of 2022 World Cup Southgate has no plans to quit England role ahead of 2022 World Cup

    Gareth Southgate plans to stay on as England manager for the 2022 World Cup if he feels there is "warmth" for him to continue, though he acknowledged that could depend on his side's performance at Euro 2020.

    England secured their place at next year's finals with a 7-0 rout of Montenegro last week, before rounding off their qualification campaign in style by beating Kosovo 4-0.

    After reaching the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup, the last four of the UEFA Nations League and qualifying for Euro 2020 comfortably at the top of Group A, Southgate conceded his side will now be singled out as one of the teams to beat in the tournament.

    And the former Middlesbrough manager is aware how his position could change should England fail to impress next year.

    "When you have a week like I've had, you sense that people can fall out of love with you and if there isn't a warmth for you to continue, then that can start to affect the team," Southgate, who dropped Raheem Sterling from his squad for the clash with Montenegro after the Manchester City forward's tussle with team-mate Joe Gomez, told reporters.

    "So, I'm realistic about how quickly those tides can turn. For me, it's about what's next and I know in the end we'll always be judged ultimately by the tournaments.

    "We've got to accept that [England are one of the favourites]. We should go in feeling confident about ourselves and, equally, we know there are areas of the game we've got to get better at. But I think all the top teams will feel the same.

    "The players have the belief and we've got to keep giving them that belief, but we don't tell them lies, we are pretty honest with our appraisals of their performances and the sorts of matches they're going in to."

    Southgate, however, will still be planning, even if he is uncertain as to whether he will lead England at the Qatar World Cup.

    "I think when I started and we looked at other federations, we were almost embarrassed to go and look at where we should be preparing for," Southgate explained.

    "And Germany were always there and they'd already secured the best hotel. So, I think we've had to be a bit bolder and say, 'no, look, it's not a jinx to go and do it'. We've got to have belief in what we're doing and execute the right preparation.

    "Without taking any focus off what we're doing next summer we've got to get the next bit right, otherwise we'll be behind the curve. I think the best organisations get that short-, mid- and long-term planning right."

  • Tite: Messi comparisons with Pele have 'no credibility' Tite: Messi comparisons with Pele have 'no credibility'

    Tite has dismissed Lionel Messi's credentials as the greatest footballer of all time after insisting comparisons between him and "phenomenal" Brazil legend Pele have "no credibility." 

    The Brazil coach and Messi exchanged words in Friday's game against Argentina, with Tite claiming the Barcelona forward told him to shut up during the friendly defeat in Riyadh.  

    Tuesday marks the 50th anniversary of Brazil legend Pele scoring his 1,000th goal and, speaking ahead of his side's clash against South Korea in Abu Dhabi the same day, Tite says three-time World Cup winner Pele remains out in front when it comes to the question of whether he or Messi is best.

    He said: "Pelé is incomparable. Anybody who wants to compare Pelé to any other athlete...do you know what I do? I hear but I don`t listen.

    "It's as if this person doesn't know the history of this man's quality... this guy was phenomenal. Once I said that Messi is extraordinary.

    "I meant he's extraordinary to the present time and among humans, with his creativity. Pele is out of normal patterns and I'm not saying this because I'm a Brazilian. You can't find a defect.

    "If somebody comes to me and starts to make comparisons, for me it has no credibility."

    The loss to Argentina meant Brazil are now five matches without victory, yet Tite remains philosophical over the Copa America winners' form.

    He added: "I'm not desperate to win. I'm happy to be where I am. I'm aware of the pressure but I have no desperation. I don't have any of this. What I do want is to make a great game."

    Tite has warned South Korea's threat extends far beyond just that of Tottenham forward Son Heung-min.

    He added: "We know about Korea's strengths, on their important victory against Germany [in the World Cup] and we respect them. We know about their individual forces, not only Son, but others and the team as a whole."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.