Low wanted to take 18-year-old Gnabry to 2014 World Cup

By Sports Desk October 12, 2019

Serge Gnabry is regarded as an automatic starter by Germany coach Joachim Low and he might have attained that status earlier had a serious knee injury not prevented him from featuring at the 2014 World Cup.

Gnabry was considered a prodigious prospect at Arsenal after signing from Stuttgart as a youngster in 2011, breaking into the Gunners' first-team squad the following year at just 17.

He then featured 14 times across all competitions before suffering a bad injury against future employers Bayern Munich in the Champions League in March 2014, ruling him out of first-team action until the 2015-16 season.

An unsuccessful loan spell at West Brom followed in that campaign, but Gnabry got his career back on track after moving to Werder Bremen, earning a switch to Bayern where he has developed into one of Europe's most exciting wingers.

Gnabry's route to the top has been rather more convoluted than many would have expected during his early days at Arsenal and, according to Low, his 2014 injury robbed him of a place in Germany's World Cup-winning squad in Brazil just before his 19th birthday.

"In spring 2014, I made a couple of trips to London," Low told reporters ahead of Sunday's Euro 2020 qualifier with Estonia.

"He played well in several matches and really impressed me. I wanted to include Serge in the squad for the 2014 World Cup, but he was unfortunately injured.

"He has been very strong in several matches for us recently. I like the way that he moves and how dangerous he is in front of goal.

"He is fortunate to have the chance to play at the very highest level. We need to encourage that and support him.

"Based on his performances over the past nine months, he needs to be on the pitch for us if he's fit and able to play."

Related items

  • Spurs appoint Mourinho: Jose raids Lille for two coaches Spurs appoint Mourinho: Jose raids Lille for two coaches

    Tottenham have agreed a deal with Lille to bring in coaches Joao Sacramento and Nuno Santos to work with Jose Mourinho.

    Former Chelsea and Manchester United boss Mourinho was appointed Spurs' new head coach on Wednesday following Mauricio Pochettino's departure the previous day.

    Spurs moved quickly to begin securing the desired backroom setup for their new coach, as Lille confirmed the departure of Sacramento and Santos.

    Tottenham have reportedly paid £3million for the duo, with Sacramento expected to become Mourinho's assistant. Santos joins as goalkeeping coach.

    "To Joao Sacramento and Nuno Santos, LOSC wish all the success in this new project," a Lille statement read.

    ESPN report Spurs may yet return to Lille for sporting director Luis Campos, who previously worked with Mourinho at Real Madrid.

    Pochettino's time at Tottenham saw numerous reports of tensions between the manager and chairman Daniel Levy over transfers.

    The arrival of Campos as sporting director would seemingly act as a buffer, and Mourinho is said to have funds to make signings in January.

  • Lewandowski warns Bundesliga rivals: My best is yet to come! Lewandowski warns Bundesliga rivals: My best is yet to come!

    Robert Lewandowski is enjoying an outstanding start to the season with Bayern Munich but insists there is room for him to get even better.

    The Poland international has 23 goals in 18 club matches so far this term, more than any other player in Europe's top leagues.

    However, Lewandowski believes he is only now approaching his peak and can improve further, insisting he does not feel his 31 years.

    "I worked very hard for this form. Currently it is going perfectly, my body feels good," he told Sport Bild.

    "It's good to have that in mind, but it does not mean that I'm resting. I want to get even better.

    "I know when I can do more and when I need to slow down. My passport says: 'Robert Lewandowski, 31 years old'. But that's not how I feel.

    "My best spell is just starting now and hopefully will continue for some more years. The best is yet to come."

    Lewandowski is set to return to club action following the international break on Saturday, as Bayern visit Fortuna Dusseldorf.

  • Dortmund's Delaney out until 2020 with torn ankle ligaments Dortmund's Delaney out until 2020 with torn ankle ligaments

    Thomas Delaney has suffered torn ligaments in his right ankle and will be out of action until January.

    Borussia Dortmund confirmed the nature of the 28-year-old's injury on Wednesday after he returned from international duty.

    Midfielder Delaney was substituted 13 minutes into Denmark's crucial Euro 2020 qualifier against Republic of Ireland on Monday, unable to assist his country as they secured a 1-1 draw to qualify for the finals.

    Delaney has played six times in the Bundesliga this season, having appeared 30 times last term following his move from Werder Bremen.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.