EPL

Man United left squad short - Robson

By Sports Desk October 11, 2019

Manchester United left Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad short due to the club's dealings in the transfer market, says Bryan Robson.

Defeat away to Newcastle United last time out left the Red Devils 12th in the Premier League table, two points above the relegation zone.

Solskjaer has overseen a poor run of form since his March appointment on a permanent basis, a period in which United have taken 17 points from 16 league games.

His squad was bolstered by Harry Maguire, Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka, but senior players including Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Ander Herrera and Chris Smalling have departed.

Robson, who captained the club and won two Premier League titles with United, feels the transfer business was inadequate but, asked if United should stick with Solskjaer, he said: "Yes, I do.

"Because everyone went with the policy that they want to encourage the young boys coming through the ranks. That's exactly what United have done.

"I think they've maybe allowed too many good, experienced players to leave the club without replacing them. That's why it's left them a little bit short."

United have particularly struggled for goals since a 4-0 home win against Chelsea on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.

England striker Marcus Rashford netted twice in that victory but he has only scored once for club and country since, a run that has seemingly hit his confidence.

Robson, speaking at a Football Writers' Association dinner sponsored by William Hill, feels there are aspects of his game where the 21-year-old must develop.

"I think he has still got a little bit of knowledge to know about being a centre-forward," Robson added. "I think it's a natural game for him coming off the left side but the right side as well.

"But I think going through the middle of the park, I think Marcus needs to know the game that little bit better where it's not always about running through, it's about build up play and bringing midfield players into the game.

"That's where Marcus can maybe improve his game a little bit."

Related items

  • Pochettino a 'top coach' – Bayern defender Kimmich Pochettino a 'top coach' – Bayern defender Kimmich

    Joshua Kimmich gave a strong endorsement of Mauricio Pochettino's coaching ability after the rumoured Bayern Munich target departed Tottenham.

    Spurs brought Pochettino's well-regarded stint in charge to an abrupt end on Tuesday, dismissing the man who led them to the Champions League final following a poor start to the new season.

    The development could have ramifications in Bavaria, where the Argentinian is said to be held in high regard.

    Bayern were reportedly interested in Pochettino even before they parted company with head coach Niko Kovac at the beginning of November and could now pursue him as a free agent.

    The Bundesliga champions have entrusted Hansi Flick with overseeing the team until the end of 2019 but have not committed to a long-term appointment.

    "I do not know if he is a candidate for us," Kimmich told reporters when asked about Pochettino after Germany's win over Northern Ireland in Euro 2020 qualifying.

    "What you can say is that Tottenham were fighting at the top for years. They have had huge consistency.

    "He's a top coach, but I do not know if he's an option for us."

    Flick has won each of his two matches since taking charge on an interim basis, the second a 4-0 thrashing of Der Klassiker rivals Borussia Dortmund.

    Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge last week said: "We decided that he will be coach at least until Christmas and possibly beyond. We trust Hansi Flick."

    Bayern have reportedly identified Ajax boss Erik ten Hag and Paris Saint-Germain's Thomas Tuchel as their preferred candidates but would likely struggle to prise either coach away from their clubs before the end of the season.

    Jose Mourinho had also been linked with the Bavarian club, but he was appointed Pochettino's successor at Spurs on Wednesday.

  • Pochettino to Arsenal? Why not, says Redknapp Pochettino to Arsenal? Why not, says Redknapp

    Harry Redknapp believes there is enough of a precedent to make Mauricio Pochettino moving to Arsenal a genuine possibility.

    Pochettino was sacked by Tottenham on Tuesday with Jose Mourinho named as his successor around 12 hours later in a remarkable turn of events.

    And with Unai Emery struggling at Arsenal, former Spurs boss Redknapp refused to discount the possibility of Argentine Pochettino making a controversial move across north London.

    He told talkSPORT: "With Pochettino going from Tottenham, there will be one or two Premier League managers waking up this morning thinking, 'Oh my god, this ain't too clever'.

    "And there will be one or two chairmen very excited thinking if there's any way they could get him in. What a signing he'd be.

    "There are clubs in London who are having a terrible time. Why shouldn't he go to Arsenal if he wants to? You think the Arsenal fans wouldn't love him there?

    "It happens in football. Sol Campbell went from Tottenham to Arsenal, George Graham did it, Terry Neill did it, Pat Jennings, one of our greatest goalkeepers in history, even he made the change.

    "It can happen, as long as you can do the job. I would have thought Arsenal will be looking at Pochettino now thinking, 'Could we? Can we?'"

    Pochettino is likely to have the pick of several of Europe's top clubs after guiding Spurs to last season's Champions League final with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Manchester United having all been suggested as potential destinations over recent months.

  • Atletico defender Savic suffers injury setback Atletico defender Savic suffers injury setback

    Stefan Savic has suffered a setback as he bids to return from a hamstring injury.

    The Atletico Madrid centre-back has been out of action since Montenegro's 0-0 draw against Bulgaria in Euro 2020 qualifying on October 11.

    Atleti announced Savic, who was substituted after 39 minutes of that match, had suffered a hamstring issue but did not offer an estimated recovery time.

    And the club announced on Wednesday the defender "suffered a relapse of the grade II injury".

    Savic has undergone tests and, according to Atleti's short statement, "is pending response to treatment".

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.